Game On! Pies v. Blues. Updates, all comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Blues. All comments.

Post by qldmagpie67 »

RudeBoy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:10 am Can we play Krueger alongside Cox and McStay? If so, then we might see the following changes to our line-up.

In: Krueger, McCreery, Richards, Markov

Out: Harrison, Lipinski, Sullivan, Parker
Krueger won’t play he’s in concussion protocol
SLORT
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1184674/imp ... -available

"COLLINGWOOD coach Craig McRae expects Beau McCreery, Oleg Markov and Nathan Kreuger to all be available for Scott Pendlebury's 400th game on Saturday night, but Jordan De Goey is unlikely to return against Carlton at the MCG."
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Seems Krueger won't be available until next week. That means there'll probably be just 3 changes.

In: McCreery, Markov, Richards

Out: Harrison, Sullivan, Parker

Lipinski will be a very lucky boy if he retains his spot. He has been rather quiet for a few weeks, and was almost unsighted last week. At his best, he is a very valuable member of our team, but when not up and about, he is a passenger. If we are to win any games from here on, we cannot afford to have any passengers.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Just get the W for Pendles.

The Scum are known for spoiling our parties over the years.
They’ll be after revenge, we need to be up & about from go to woe.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
bucking awesome
Been liked: 1 time

Post by bucking awesome »

Of the 5 others to get to 400 games the win loss ratio has been
Bartlett - lost
Tuck - won
Fletcher - lost
Harvey = won
Burgoyne - lost

Collingwood and Pendles are certainties to win. You heard it here first
Painful frustrating disappointing exhilarating and unbelievably awesome. - That's a Collingwood life through and through
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I hear you loud and clear but I’m not as totally confident of a win. I’m in the nervous nelly and cautiously optimistic position.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
qldmagpie67

Post by qldmagpie67 »

RudeBoy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:36 pmwe cannot afford to have any passengers.
Rude I agree we can’t have passengers
So what’s the difference between Sidey 12 touches at 53% and Lipinski 10 touches at 72% ?
This is what drives me crazy some times how 1 player is judged so much differently than another
In all fairness over the past month he hasn’t been as productive as we would liked but he isn’t on his own on that front
Lipinski is often underrated for his performances and does a lot of little things that go unrecognised
I’m all for picking sides on form but let’s be fair on how we judge that form
SLORT
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

Last time we played (for a 6 point win, which should have been more) notable players for Carlton ~
- S.Walsh with 33 possessions, McKay with 4 goals, Acres, Newman, Pittonet, Hewitt.

Pies ~
- N.Daicos (32 disp, 2 goals, 150 supercoach score), Pendles, Crisp, Lippa, Cameron.

We beat them at their own game by having Pendles (and others) in the midfield, playing a negating tactic of protecting space. We also had our pressure game right up, with lots of tackling.

So do we continue with a similar game plan of negating their clearances? Do we run a tag on Walsh? Who gets McKay (last time it was Frampton)?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:27 am
I agree with you about Lipinski's often unnoticed contributions, but to my eye, his lack of physicality, let's him down. I suspect he may survive this week, but perhaps as the sub. I think Sidey is doing just enough to hold his spot, but certainly he is on the edge. The issue really is we have a shallow pool in the VFL to promote to take his spot. If Allan was ready to step up to the seniors, then Sidey would probably struggle to hold his spot. Likewise with Demattia. The fact also that Harrison has dropped off in form has also probably helped keep Sidey's spot safe....for now.
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

With our finals chances fragile let us flog this mob and make their flag chances just as fragile
My feelings every time we match up is give them a real thrashing
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
qldmagpie67

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Cant argue with the physical side of his performances it’s been lacking
I always view VFL form differently
Yes players need to show something but times they come up on limited performances and play above that for a couple weeks before physically there shot
I think Demattia move to a wing (in the VFL) is a clear sign to clubs plan going forward
Bring him in on a wing get him used to the speed and skill level at AFL level before he goes into the middle
The VFL sides only job to me is teach the players the required skills and fitness and team style required if called up.
I would persist with Long he’s a harder older body and loves the tackling something we need around the contest
People banged on about Bytel last game saying his disposals did nothing
I watched again and made some notes
He gave off 4 handballs to Nick and 3 to Pendles all 7 of those led to scores
So while he mightn’t have impacted directly he gave it to players who can and that’s what being part of a team means
On the team chat I want to see Hill become more selfish. His first job is to kick goals. When he’s kicking goals all other aspects of his game follow. Past month or so he’s been trying to bring in others giving them chances but often his shot on goal would have been easier than the one he tried to create but didn’t .
I think McStay has shown how he straightens us up (with Cox)
I would play them both out of the goal square and look for Hill Elliott Schulz to lead out and mark it 35/40 out. Don’t bomb it in there heads it doesn’t work for us
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

My exact thoughts on Bytel was his transition footy
He was such a good link due to his preparedness to put the ball in the hands of Nick ,Pendles and co.
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

I dont think we can play Kruger/Cox/Mcstay all in the forward line.
It would need to be a large change in ruck rotation strategies and having Cox or Cameron on the bench for a lot longer than usual.

if Kruger can swing into a defender role for some of the match and give D.Moore a spell on the bench it might work
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

God I hate Carlscum
Hope they lose by ten goals
Close matches mean the umpires can help them
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

RudeBoy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:36 pm In: McCreery, Markov, Richards
Out: Harrison, Sullivan, Parker
If we are to win any games from here on, we cannot afford to have any passengers.
I would sooner drop John Noble than Parker who has had one recent game and was okay. Noble has regressed to his 2023 poor form and lack of accountability. He's been lucky to stay in the team due to all our injuries, but really our back line can't keep carrying him any longer.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�