#24 Jakob Ryan

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

How many knees did that piece of s&@t Rayner plant in the back, guts and head of our boys? He is a dog and of the same breed as a cheap shot sniper.
no second chances
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

And I thought it was just me who thought a number of his “ contest involvements “ weren’t only directed at the footy.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

We gotta find a spot for him and some of the other younger guys. I don't know how...

Keen to see a bit of new talent come through (although hopefully not at the expense of winning!).
I think the development of the whole list remains a key challenge for us given the disproportionate contribution we are getting from +30-year-old players.

Stats say he is the same height as Howe - although clearly the latter has a significant spring in his step.

TO answer your question tho - no. No internal information...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Bit of a forgotten man.

How's he travelling in the VFL? Is he any chance of getting back into the seniors before seasons end?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

^Presti, I watched the entire match (had to juggle the overlap of the VFL last qtr and the AFL opening).
He just didn't impact the game. FWIW, this was my summary (I'm sure others might have seen things I didn't) after watching the match ~
Jakob Ryan 17 / (just not impacting through the game, has not bought the required game day pressure that would warrant selectors putting him forward for consideration, finished the game off well.
While contracted to 2026 he'll need an uninterrupted pre-season and impact early on to extend his time with us)
https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=93240
2023 AFL Premiers
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Yeah I think you’ve got it right. Hasn’t stood out apart from a couple of nice things in the Casey game 2 weeks back. Strong mark on the wing, big whack on the chops. Got 50m penalty and kicked a beautiful long goal with blood down the side of his face.

Pretty much been maligned since VFL round 3 and suffering the most from having no key backs supporting the defense. Hasn’t been named an emergency either (maybe once only) but then our injuries have been elsewhere on the ground.

Having said that he hasn’t fought through adversity to stand out in a miniature defence either but what if he’s just playing his role as coaches. Hard to see our VFL strategy sometimes.

He’s heading for DFA and an opportunity elsewhere I think or a cheap trade at best. Victim of a successful senior team and lack of opportunities otherwise.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Wait, he's contracted to 2026???
Est. 2002
LaurieHolden

Re: #24 Jakob Ryan

Post by LaurieHolden »

JR returned for his first game since Round 14 against Richmond VFL last weekend, so might be a bit underdone for match hardness. Subject to the result from this weekend's senior match and how he performs in the magoos this w/e, surely a berth in the senior side before the season closes is warranted.

At this stage he perhaps looms as a longer term WHE replacement, and while we're lacking a classy rebound defender, let's see what the Greek Freak can deliver. It would also allay our deficit of peroxide in the senior list, which I believe is a key reason for our demise this season.

It's really important we continue to get a clutch of senior games into these lads so they can hit the pre-season with purpose, knowing they're close to a regular call-up.
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I’m going a bit early here but off a small sample size, I like what this kid brings to the table.
He’s a good size for a general defender ( 189cm ) and still only 19. He totally dominated the third quarter against the Tigers both in the air and at ground level. He’s got all the tools and runs like a burst pipe but repeated niggles haven’t allowed him to get any continuity into his game this season. His exit interview should be all about the opportunities that will present in 2025 and what he needs to do to be at the top of that queue.
I have no doubt between Ryan, Jaith and Parker, we will see a changing of the guard at senior level and behind the ball in 2025/ 26
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

That’s a heart warmer Pies2016. Some hope in our youth on the list is badly needed.
Buon Giorno