Umpiring rants ~ receive our scorn

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Umpiring rants ~ receive our scorn

Post by David »

I want to be consistent on this stuff rather than one-eyed, and the fact is I thought a 50m penalty against McCreery and Sidebottom in the North game would have been overly technical and officious – so I can hardly turn around and bemoan McStay getting the same treatment. In such situations, the umpire should blow the whistle, immediately instruct the opponent to get back on the mark (perhaps giving the player with the ball a few seconds to run around and play on unimpeded), and then feel free to penalise any time-wasting after that with a 50. As it is, the game is played at speed, and players don't always know in a split second whether a mark has been paid, whether a marking player has played on, etc.; so it really ought to be up to the umpires to blow the whistle and give instruction, and the players to follow.

To be honest, I dislike the 50 metre penalty in principle, but if we must have it I'd prefer it to be paid for clear violations – not mere technicalities.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Good grief can any reporter do their job properly and report accurately anymore? Seven tonight quoting Fly saying the 50m was a circus — no, he said that the deliberates were a circus!!! FMS
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:27 pm Good grief can any reporter do their job properly and report accurately anymore? Seven tonight quoting Fly saying the 50m was a circus — no, he said that the deliberates were a circus!!! FMS
The hack journo clowns may as well join the circus they crave for. Now do Nicksters believe what I have been saying for years, the footy so called journos are among the worst of their profession. Always have been with the exception of a few such as Peter MacFarlane and Alf Brown.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

lazzadesilva wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:09 pm
Mr Miyagi wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:27 pm Good grief can any reporter do their job properly and report accurately anymore? Seven tonight quoting Fly saying the 50m was a circus — no, he said that the deliberates were a circus!!! FMS
The hack journo clowns may as well join the circus they crave for. Now do Nicksters believe what I have been saying for years, the footy so called journos are among the worst of their profession. Always have been with the exception of a few such as Peter MacFarlane and Alf Brown.
Gotta look hard for good TV reporting these days
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Leigh Montagna and David King floating a conspiracy theory AFL/umpires deliberately treating us differently because of the way we forced stoppages 2022-23. Hence the deliberate out of bounds calls vs Sydney and other contentious calls throughout this year. If true, this is a monumental bias and stitch up.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

From AFL website.. I assume it is ok to post here...

SYDNEY coach John Longmire has lambasted Craig McRae's comments about home-ground advantage, labelling them "an extraordinary admission" from the Collingwood coach.

"It was an extraordinary admission from a coach of a team that has the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL," Longmire said.

"This year they play 14 games at the MCG, they play three at Marvel, that's 17 games essentially in front of their home crowd and they play finals and the Grand Final on their home deck."

After Brisbane lost last year's Grand Final to Collingwood at the MCG amid some late umpiring controversy, Longmire added: "I wonder what Chris Fagan (Brisbane coach) thought of those comments. That was my initial thought, what Chris Fagan thinks of this.

"I was at a North Melbourne-Collingwood game this year when a couple Collingwood boys went over the mark and it could have been a fifty and it wasn't paid.

"From the coach of the team with the biggest home ground advantage including finals."
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

David wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:11 pm I want to be consistent on this stuff rather than one-eyed, and the fact is I thought a 50m penalty against McCreery and Sidebottom in the North game would have been overly technical and officious – so I can hardly turn around and bemoan McStay getting the same treatment. In such situations, the umpire should blow the whistle, immediately instruct the opponent to get back on the mark (perhaps giving the player with the ball a few seconds to run around and play on unimpeded), and then feel free to penalise any time-wasting after that with a 50. As it is, the game is played at speed, and players don't always know in a split second whether a mark has been paid, whether a marking player has played on, etc.; so it really ought to be up to the umpires to blow the whistle and give instruction, and the players to follow.

To be honest, I dislike the 50 metre penalty in principle, but if we must have it I'd prefer it to be paid for clear violations – not mere technicalities.

I agree one-hundred percent with you, but many on here only want the 'one eyed' view.

Attacking umpires is easy pray, explaining why our side has been consistently giving up big leads in final quaters is much harder.

Umpires are not perfect, and yes, the umpiring call in the Sydney game can be questioned, and they review all matches, the umpires are only interpreting the rules as handed down by the AFL.

But I can tell you this, I umpire at local level, and it is a extraordinary difficult job, you have split seconds to make a call, that one team will hate and one team will love. No matter what you do you will get a ton of abuse, and I have come close to walking away.

I would encourage people on here to get out and give it a go, and see if you still want to slam umpires and call them 'cheats' or whatever other disgusting names some come up with.

One reason i don't normally comment on this thread is because I know a fair number of the AFL umpires and they are by and large a great group doing a very hard job.

And if it was not for them, we wouldn't have the AFL. Or feeder city/country league football. So just check your rage sometimes people.

As David says, if it wasn't for an overlooked 50m penalty we wouldn't have won the North game, people are quick to forget the ones we 'win'.
Last edited by derkd on Mon Aug 12, 2024 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Longmire can get stuffed, how often do we play them in Melbourne! The deliberate out of bounds calls were a circus and home crowds absolutely affect umpiring decisions
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:19 pm Leigh Montagna and David King floating a conspiracy theory AFL/umpires deliberately treating us differently because of the way we forced stoppages 2022-23. Hence the deliberate out of bounds calls vs Sydney and other contentious calls throughout this year. If true, this is a monumental bias and stitch up.
That sounds about right, though calling it a conspiracy is too dramatic. It wouldn't surprise me that they are cracking down on that. its quite possibly the AFL rules crew and umpiring departments see those tactics, which we regard as part of McRae's "playing the minutes", as gaming the rules. Thus the various attempts to cut down on time wasting. As usual though the incompetent yellow umpires take it too far and we end up with the debacle on Friday night, particularly in the last quarter when we were trying to save the game. Is that bias? Yes and no. We can only hope that it is applied to any team employing such tactics.

I would also expect too, that other clubs have been in the AFL's ear about those tactics too.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

So McRae’s saying “home ground umpiring advantage is a thing” and Longmire is saying “screw you, look at how much home ground advantage your team gets”. It’s not exactly a substantive argument, just same old Sydney Swans having a massive chip on their shoulder routine.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Horse can pipe down. I actually think all Fly was saying is that the home ground advantage impacts on decisions, 80k screaming for a 50 introduces bias.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

The fact is the MCG is no one's home ground. It's like the town bike. Everyone rides it. Even Geelong plays at least half a dozen games at the G. But they still get their 11 at Kardinia Park.

On the umpiring I think we need to go back to two field umpires. The four keep getting in each other's way and it waters down their ability to interpret the rules.
AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

"Extraordinary" apparently.

What I think a number of people aren't commenting on is that it's "extraordinary" that one coach would comment on another coach's comments.
Go Pies!
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Gerry Cooper wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:23 pm
Mr Miyagi wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:19 pm Leigh Montagna and David King floating a conspiracy theory AFL/umpires deliberately treating us differently because of the way we forced stoppages 2022-23. Hence the deliberate out of bounds calls vs Sydney and other contentious calls throughout this year. If true, this is a monumental bias and stitch up.
That sounds about right, though calling it a conspiracy is too dramatic. It wouldn't surprise me that they are cracking down on that. its quite possibly the AFL rules crew and umpiring departments see those tactics, which we regard as part of McRae's "playing the minutes", as gaming the rules. Thus the various attempts to cut down on time wasting. As usual though the incompetent yellow umpires take it too far and we end up with the debacle on Friday night, particularly in the last quarter when we were trying to save the game. Is that bias? Yes and no. We can only hope that it is applied to any team employing such tactics.

I would also expect too, that other clubs have been in the AFL's ear about those tactics too.
Yeah I was quoting King who used conspiracy. It’s always us the AFL cracks down on. Hands in the back (Jimmy Clement), ruck rule changes, centre square changes, kick outs, you name it. Hawthorn’s small fowards are rorting the head high contact rule, and Sam Mitchell is hailed a genius — compare to how Ginni was treated with us last year. Geelong chicken wing tackles. But if we skirt the rules, they go overboard and ping us for everything even when most of those deliberate calls were bullsh-t. I’m over it, wish the club had gone harder — especially over the illegal holds on N Daicos.

The AFL can get stuffed, and they can tell Longmire to get stuffed too. He came out the loser today, what a effing sook given the home games they get at their shithole of a non-footy ground. We were stitched up vs Sydney, blatantly, and I’m disappointed Fly bent over for the bullies.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

dp
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.