Trade winds: Get Petracca

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Get Petracca

Post by The Black and White Lion »

This all feels like it could be a year early. Maybe we’re only interested in Petracca in 2026. He’s not coming across like Luke Ball for example
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

We have no draft picks to offer so what would they ask for? De Goey is too old so they would want Nick. We aint doing that so forget about it
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:22 amNo comparison... we wanted rid of Grundy, as the Dees wanted rid of Woewodin at the time

No way Melbourne are trading Petracca AND paying a large portion of his salary
You make too much sense.

I guess we can always trade for Taj Woewodin. 8)
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Theres a lot of talk going on about this. And Melbourne are in a shambles. Players are wanting out, and players that wanted to go there are now changing their minds (Houston, Waterman).

I'm all in for a no duds trade period (Hobbs, etc). And Trac is no dud. But is he fit?

There's a few questions surrounding his fitness, and at age 29, there is a big gamble involved. So can we win it next year with a healthy Petracca in the middle? Absolutely. And I have no doubt that he would play his absolute guts out for this club. So from that point of view, you go for it.

However, whats the cost? That is the HUGE problem here. Melbourne aren't going to give him away and I feel like they are going to be asking for some absurd trade in return. What is a 29 year old with a question over his health actually worth? And is the contract he's on going to stuff us up later on?

A lot will change is he comes out and asks for a trade. But right now, I feel like any deal will go down to the final day of trades. I just hope we dont buckle and hand over too much. But is it possible we could snag another Dees player in the process here?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
SLORT
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

Presti35 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:17 pm So can we win it next year with a healthy Petracca in the middle? Absolutely. And I have no doubt that he would play his absolute guts out for this club. So from that point of view, you go for it.

However, whats the cost? That is the HUGE problem here. Melbourne aren't going to give him away and I feel like they are going to be asking for some absurd trade in return. What is a 29 year old with a question over his health actually worth? And is the contract he's on going to stuff us up later on?
AFL has postponed on it's plan to introduce up to 2yrs future pick trading till 2026 and that is probably in the end what nips Petracca and Pies in the bud.

To get him you'd have to give them something they want / need along with our #1 from 2025 (which I'm not totally certain doesn't screw with the getting of Tom McGuane). That something would probably be Darcy Cameron and I can't see the club doing that.

With Neal-Bullen leaving perhaps they'd consider IQ with something extra. The other spanner in the works is if they lose Viney to North Melbourne as that would only leave Oliver and Langdon (if Petracca was to also leave).

Yeah, can't see Collingwood putting together a package on this one, and it's the sort of thing that could end up haunting us for years. I'd rather set our sites lower on the difficulty scale. If he's desperate to leave this year then I think it'll probably be Essendon. The timing on this with Wright leaving couldn't be worse.
skaman
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

I have no idea how...But i have a HUGE gut feeling Petracca will be a PIe next year...and he will be ACE!
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

I think there is a bit of exaggeration when the pundits say 3 x First Round picks for a 'distressed asset' that wants out...
I do think his salary x 5 years is prohibitive. Nevertheless lets 'compare-the-pair '

Jason Horne-Francis (19 years old)
Port Adelaide traded out: Picks 8, 43, 53, 57, Future First-round pick, Future second-round pick, Future third-round pick
Trade in: Jason Horne-Francis, Junior Rioli, 2023 second-round pick (tied to Collingwood), 2023 future third-round pick (tied to Fremantle)
There were 3 other clubs involved but that what it took to get their man (men). Virtually two First Round picks (Pick 8 and what turned out to be 16) for a special 19 year old.

Lachie Neale (25 years old)
Neale to Brisbane.
Fremantle got two first-round picks 6 and 19 plus third-round pick 55 in exchange for midfielder Lachie Neale and second-round pick 30.

Jeremy Cameron (27 years old)
Geelong handed over a record three first-round picks to the GWS Giants to secure Jeremy Cameron.
The deal saw the Cats land Cameron as well as two second-round selections in exchange for Picks 13, 15, 20 and a future fourth rounder in an unprecedented bounty for the Giants after they matched his free agency offer and forced a trade.

Christian Petracca (29 years old on 4 Jan 2025)
Pick inside the Top 10 and a Future First?
If we can wrangle a Pick inside the Top 10 (can we ask Fremantle to trade Pick 8 back to us? :wink:) + our Future First Round would be fair... based on above.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Geelong traded three first rounds for Cameron. How is it Geelong continued to get quality players in future drafts and trades?! Seriously, we give up a future first rounder and we’re stuffed for years with no trade/draft currency. Yet Geelong every year gets two or three quality players. How.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Geelong don't have a salary cap. Remember they also took Bowes (I think) from Gold Coast, AND a top 10 pick in exchange for agreeing to pay all his salary.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Magpie Russ

Post by Magpie Russ »

I heard Browne and Kelly say 'we aren't going to the draft, trade and free agency will give us sustained success'. Maybe but you need know the formula, you need a football department who know how to implement such a strategy. You need someone who has been at Geelong or Sydney (I know salary cap and academy etc but... it is most likely smart trading/management).

Step Seven: Cats Gain Huge Draft Bounty as Kelly Returns Home
After just two seasons at Kardinia Park, Kelly requested and was granted a trade home to West Coast at the end of the 2019 season.
In return for the midfielder, Geelong gained picks 14, 24 and 37 in the 2019 draft along with a future first rounder from West Coast in the 2020 draft.
Geelong selected Cooper Stephens with pick 14, but shifted around the rest of their picks to land their ultimate goal.

Step Eight: The Cats Adjust Their Picks With Big Picture in Mind
With their new picks acquired from West Coast, the Cats flicked pick 24 to the Gold Coast in exchange for their future round one selection in the 2020 draft.
This trade landed Geelong with pick 15 in the 2020 draft.

Step Nine: Geelong Get Their Man, Cameron Joins the Cats
After numerous moves and trades across a 16 year period, the Cats journey ultimately ended with Jeremy Cameron arriving at Kardinia Park at the end of 2020.
Geelong sent Gold Coast’s future first round selection acquired in 2019 (pick 15), West Coast’s future first round pick acquired in the Tim Kelly trade (pick 18), and their own first pick of the draft (pick 25) to GWS along with a future fourth rounder.
In return they got Jeremy Cameron and two future second round picks, with Cameron already proving his worth in three dominant seasons at the club.

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/145 ... to-geelong
Magpie Russ

Post by Magpie Russ »

I would argue Neil Balme started the planning and conversation with Tom Lynch's management when he was at Collingwood.
When he left he took it to Richmond. And landed Lynch.
SLORT
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

Magpie Russ wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 3:26 pm Christian Petracca (29 years old on 4 Jan 2025)
Pick inside the Top 10 and a Future First?
If we can wrangle a Pick inside the Top 10 (can we ask Fremantle to trade Pick 8 back to us? :wink:) + our Future First Round would be fair... based on above.
Freo has got a busy trade period ahead of it with several players trying to get back to WA. I think that Freo's (our) number #9 will probably be going to Richmond for Shai Bolton. Though they'd still have a #10 & 17 after that, I don't think they'd accept anything less than Bobby Hill. So if we're willing to cash Bobby Hill + future 1st (+ steak knives) then yeah, we could possibly land The Petracca.
If some of those rumors earlier in the year about Bobby going back to WA were real then yeah, maybe that's the deal we should aim for.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Collingwood revealed of Christian Petracca's top trade target...Jay Clark wrote on Monday night that "a deal looks enormously difficult to pull off", but Collingwood would be top of Petracca's wish-list.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/christian-p ... EmAdAvT4J4
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

29, horribly injured, and does not want to play for you. Maybe Melbourne happy to get his salary off the books, which can be applied straight to one or two free agents - and we throw in a couple of players as well
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

If a player wants out... Nothing is out of the question... I mean he could threaten them with a civil suit for putting him back on... But nothing is also what could happen.
Get back on top.