CEO Craig Kelly accused of racism

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: CEO Craig Kelly accused of racism

Post by stui magpie »

Magpie Russ wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:23 pm "My hope is that Collingwood will be strong enough not to settle, do not encourage unproven allegations." -- Leigh Matthews (3AW)
Settling is nearly always done on commercial grounds. Lawyers cost money, time of witnesses does too. If you can settle for less than it would cost to run the case, it makes commercial sense.

Sometimes however, you won't offer more than a token and, if they refuse, run the case on pure principle and to hell with the cost.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ I agree, except "Yeah, nah" to your last sentence - just settle it. It's only an unlawful dismissal claim and the maximum value of it is, in the scheme of things, pin money. They should just get rid of it.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Personally I would fight it and damn the cost
If the club believes Kelly is innocent we need to show that the club has certainly embraced the cultural changes it set out in the do better report
If Kelly is guilty then he deserves everything that comes his way
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

In the circumstances, I'm inclined (without knowing inside detail) to agree with @Pies4shaw and just settle it.

Yes it would rankle, I've had that conversation many times, on both sides of the argument. But apart from the financial cost, there's also the reputational cost of having bullshit in the court reported eagerly by media desperate for clickbait. The accused loses that argument both ways. You play it out and get sustained media battering or you settle and have the questions raised by idiots about what were you hiding?

Pay the douche out. It's not like he'll be buying a villa in the south of France with the proceeds and his brand will be poison to future employers.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I agree with settling it. Once something goes to court you lose control of the narrative and sometimes other stuff comes out once the opposition starts digging. Also you lose control more of the narrative in the media... And often these cases are rarely finished quickly once they start. None of those risks are in the club's interests at all.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

Gerry Cooper wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:52 pm^
When all you are doing is chasing money that is what you want. My perception this has all been a quest to get maximum dollars out of the club from the start.
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

How the club handles the outcome I worry its effect on recruiting of players who have some first nations blood.
I hope not.
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right