Umpiring rants ~ receive our scorn

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Arch@M32
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Umpiring rants ~ receive our scorn

Post by Arch@M32 »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:00 pm The problem is four umpires. So often the out of zone ump is having to run in and blow the whistle because the in zone ump misses or ignores a free. And when they don’t, they’re looking at each other expecting the other to make the call
Let's scrap boundary umpires and fill their role with field umpires.
Then reduce, from four to two, the number of 'non boundary' field umpires to two.
That will give us two running on the inside of the contest and four boundary umpires (now able to make free kick calls)on the outside of the contest. Hopefully improving positioning and therefore observation.
It would reduce the number of umpires on the ground by 2.
Reduce the the number required per game by 3 (one less emergency).
Would also give a larger pool of field umpires from which to choose.

Or we just wire up two umps in a corporate box at each end of the ground to radio missed calls to the on field umps.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Well done Nicholls <snip>, you actually single-handedly altered the outcome of the final eight; aren't you f#cking clever?

Any other business [that wasn't run by unqualified imbeciles] would have you thrown out on your useless arse without warning, for costing them $1M in revenue.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Arch@M32 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:25 pmLet's scrap boundary umpires and fill their role with field umpires.
Am I imagining things that the AFL considered removing the boundary throw in all together and replace it with a last touched kick-in rule?
The ball is out regardless and the clock stops waiting for umpire and players to assemble.
If unclear as to who was the last touch, it could be quickly adjudicated by video review.
Trouble is it'd change the role of the ruckman and stoppage.
But would it make the game flow better? It'd certainly remove contentious deliberate out of bounds which at times appears a flip of the coin.
Would be an interesting pre-season trial all the same. Was it trialled a few years back?
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Bucks5 »

^ Players would soon work out that they can tap/kick the ball into the oppositions legs so it ricochets out..

and yes it was trialed one pre-season but I cannot remember how it went.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
MagpieWhisperer35
Been liked: 3 times

Post by MagpieWhisperer35 »

Gee the scrumps tried their level best to gift piss and poo a win tonight against port maybe I just hate hawthorn but I counted at least four goals gifted pathetic
Go Pies
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Was absolutely disgraceful tonight
Buon Giorno
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Haven’t watched 1 minute of footy other than Collingwood games since we were crucified by the umpires vs Sydney and don’t intend to watch any more footy this year.
That last quarter was a right royal screwing of the highest order.
- Side By Side -
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

^I’ve actually cancelled my fox footy overseas subscription because I’m flat out disgusted in the rule changes and officiating. We have lost our game so quickly. I can listen to games and get some enjoyment but watching it is just impossible for me now. Rather watch replays from when it was actually football.
Buon Giorno
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Big T wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:50 am Was absolutely disgraceful tonight
not as bad as the last GWS game, where they literally handed the game to the swans, but yes, it was. and GWS should speak up.

they tried so hard to get the fricken dawks over the line to, the start of the 2nd quarter was just wow wee!!!!

maybe they could save us all the stress and just tell us who's winning the next 2 weeks!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

A team from Victoria,qld, South Australia and Sydney. Well played scumpires
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!