Coach poach - Matthew Boyd (returns in 2024)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

“Skip” had midfield duties at Essendon.

Will Harvey pass that to him or will he take over Boyd,s role
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
35forever

Post by 35forever »

think positive wrote:^
Good post, I too blame everyone, espesh the bloke upstairs whose been playing sick jokes on me for 50 years! If ESS or CARL go past us & add to their totals before we do I will quite LITERALLY spew!
Carl & Geel are snaffling every good player who comes along, Carl have had about 10 first Draft picks since their last flag. And now either GeeL or Rich are gonna add ANOTHER flag! If we hadn’t stopped them in the 2018 prelim they’d be going for a FOURpeat tomorrow. They ARENT that Good!

The fact is that while we are doing brilliantly with the kids & many of the Transplants we’re getting: (Moore, Daics, IQ, Goey, Howe, Maynard, Adams, Crisp, Grundy, Noble, Checkers, etc etc) we just ARENT attracting the big guns in the player or coach ranks. It takes seasons to develop a kid, with no guarantees, We should get this kid Reef, as well as Nick Daicos in 2021, but when names like Dunkley, Saad, Cameron, & many more come up, we aren’t in the hunt. We’ll be lucky to keep our best guys, & if we lose DeGoey for a pick we’re SCREWED.
We only get a mention when older guys like Brown or Jetta are talked about. Who was our last BIG get? Treloar?
WHY? We’re said to be in our window still, & I agree, but not if our coaching consists of Sanderson & Harvey. Buckley’s best mate & Buckley’s acolyte.
I’ve long believed that Longmuir was the main reason for our 2018 rise, at the start of ‘19 I thought we were headed for multiple flags. The comp was shitting it’s pants, the AFL was changing the rules.
Not 2 years later we’re looking tired & weak. We were flag favourites in R4, at seasons end we were paying $22!
If we don’t LEAD, as in innovate, change the game, we will continue our current trajectory, In the last 3 years we’ve copied Buckley’s first 3 seasons. Grand final, Prelim, bottom 2 in the 8. Only the eagles game bucked the trend, but the pantsing by GeeL took much of the gloss.
At the End of 2013 we were a rabble. So we dumped 2 of our best & doubled down on Buckley. 4 years of misery ensued.
Buckley has CERTAINLY improved.
He’s more relaxed, allowed other coaches to do their thing, & developed better relationships with players.

But he’s still not ‘great’. He makes bad decisions on Thursdays (as in match Committee), & has found NO answer to our NINE straight seasons of having one of the longest injury lists in the game. There’s NO doubt it cost us yet AGAIN in 2020 as it did in 2012. If we DONT FIX THIS & get some TOP COACHES I guarantee we WILL spend several years out of the hunt, with one of the BEST lists I’ve seen in B&W.
But we’re AWFULLY good at doing **** all...guess I better go look into Haydn Skipworth...
"If at first you dont succeed...
... oh who cares, we did it!!!!!"

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
PolarPie

Post by PolarPie »

I’m glad Boyd is gone I was sick of hearing him talk shit about hating Buckley and talking crap about the club. Bye bye not missed..... if you don’t want to be there stop taking money and talking negatively to everyone that knows you.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

^ :?: :shock:
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

Boyd returns to Collingwood

Post by Presti35 »

Boyd is back!

Collingwood welcomes back Matthew Boyd who has accepted a position as an Assistant Coach ahead of the 2025 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Boyd will arrive at the Club when the AFL program returns for pre-season training in November
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Was he a member of 2018 coaches at Collingwood.
He was I believe defence coach at Freo so that can free Leppa up
Also has a Master’s Degree in Buisness Management
Jezza
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Interesting. Good to see some refreshing of the assistant coaching ranks.

Boyd was there in 2018 as a development coach.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... ollingwood
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
BazBoy

Re: Coach poach - Matthew Boyd (returns in 2024)

Post by BazBoy »

Talk is Hayden Skipworth in the WCE coaching mix
Has this activated the pursuit of new blood to our coaching team
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^ there seems to be a bit of animosity towards Boyd in the old posts @2020 above. I hope he has matured a little
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^as with the posters! :lol:
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

Didnt realise how good he was as a player... 3 x Doggies B&F, 3 x AA and a further 2 x A Squad. Managed to get 24 Brownlow botes in season 2011.

Freo have been known for their defence, while this was something what was a weakness of ours this year.

We probably need a moratorium on some of these old posts. Perhaps we start a new (clean) "welcome back to Collingwood Matthew Boyd thread...' I didnt need to see the anti-Buckley rants in this one...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

That was then. The culture improvement and the hands on the wheel have changed

Welcome mate and put in your best for us
SLORT
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

Freo was ranked 4th for defense this year (we were 11th) so I think he's definitely a good get.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Re:

Post by RudeBoy »

PolarPie wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:34 pm I’m glad Boyd is gone I was sick of hearing him talk shit about hating Buckley and talking crap about the club. Bye bye not missed..... if you don’t want to be there stop taking money and talking negatively to everyone that knows you.
Oh dear. :shock: