Trade winds: Miles Bergman

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Trade winds: Miles Bergman

Post by jatsad »

If we are out of the running for Josh Battle, Miles Bergmann from Port could be an option. Still very young, same height as Howe, can mark, beautiful kick and I think I read last week that he wants to move back to Victoria.

Just an option.
Jatsad - That is all
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Miles Bergmann

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If port make the GF his price will go up. Maybe a player and future pick? McInnes or Ash Johnson have SA links?
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

We were linked with him 12 months ago but he chose to resign with Port. He’s a quality player alright but the ship has sailed with Bergman. Without wanting to put pressure on the kid, Jakob Ryan has similar attributes and is a similar size to Bergman. Unfortunately, that’s where the comparisons stop.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
npalm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

^^ a bit harsh on Ryan. He is only 19 and in his second season. Bergman is 3 years older.
Ryan showed promising signs in his first year. This year has been disrupted by injury.
Side by side.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
I should have posted “ that’s where the comparisons stop .. for now “
I actually rate the kid and have posted as much in the VFL thread. The main difference was that Bergman was a first round pick and he came on very quickly, while Ryan was a bit more “ speculative “ and it didn’t help that he couldn’t get any continuity at all in his second season.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Re: Trade winds: Miles Bergmann

Post by LaurieHolden »

Last year we were reportedly willing to offer a 4-year $750k per season deal to Pick #14 2019 National Draft, Bergman. Despite being contracted Non-Free Agent until the end of 2025 he recently stated coming home to Victoria remains a huge temptation. If he plays out the 2025 season, he'll become a 100-game player and to date 3 finals campaigns. His manager is playing a smart game.
Bergman has ranked #4 at the Power this season for defensive half pressure acts, despite shifting in roles. He started the season on the wing before playing as a high back, briefly as a midfielder and forward, and then settling as a versatile defender who can play on key forwards if needed. If he is indeed still a target, then we'd better get a F1st round pick ready.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C

Repeat defensive efforts, very much part of our DNA.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Miles Bergmann is an absolute gun defender who will demand top $ and cost at least two first round draft picks if he were to transfer from Port Adelaide at the end of his current contract which apparently finishes at the end of next season. His form is what makes Port Adelaide likely to accept a transfer of their AA half back Dan Houston.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Would be happy to get Bergman – would make up for missing out on Goddard all those years back! ;)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange