Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by LaurieHolden »

@piffdog 100/1 you're being generous... while I don't think I've given unders of sorts to anyone in that scenario, the likelihood of this playing out is remote at best.
Surely someone trumps a bid for Houston. All depends how good our pitch is to Houston to ensure we get all parties onto the conference call. Surely, he knows how toxic the Blouse will be next year after they get bundled out of the finals once again...and who's going to St.Kilda?!
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
SLORT
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

Shouldn't we instead be getting some draft capital ready for the following year as this will be when we have a cash windfall from our veterans retiring? Landing a big fish (or two) in areas we are showing a deficiency seems to me a better option than aiming for an outside defensive flanker. I mean would you prefer Chad Warner or Houston?

I'd rather see Parker and TJ (or even Ryan or Demattia) being given game time in our defensive half than bringing in Houston. I mean out of our current 4 medium starting defenders who does he replace? IQ, Maynard, Crisp, Howe / Pendlebury? Yeah, I just don't see the need.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^You don't pass on dual AA defenders for hope. Create certainty.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

SLORT wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:55 pm I mean out of our current 4 medium starting defenders who does he replace? IQ, Maynard, Crisp, Howe / Pendlebury? Yeah, I just don't see the need.
I agree with all you said, I think we can live without him.

But I am always wary of the logic, which reminds me of 'But we have Richardson, we don't need Lockett'. lol
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

SLORT wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:55 pmI mean out of our current 4 medium starting defenders who does he replace? IQ, Maynard, Crisp, Howe / Pendlebury? Yeah, I just don't see the need.
He perhaps releases IQ to the wing.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

^not sure I saw any evidence of IQ being a winger after a couple trials in that position during the year.

The challenge with "getting some draft capital ready for the following year" is that we will most likely be taking McGuane. If we happen to be sitting on a pick #10, that will probably go towards getting him to the club. I dont see that we can focus on retaining top picks for next year when rival clubs will be able to bid him early and force our hand. To my knowledge, if we held something like #10, #20, #35, #50 and he gets bid at #10 - we cant say "we'll have him, but here take our pick #20 and #35 to match the points..." We would have to use our pick #10. We could of course have traded away pick #10 in a deal beforehand I suppose.

I would rather have Houston now than draft a lanky KPF who takes 5 years to get a regular game. Look at Charlie Curnow - drafted in 2016 and did stuff all until 2022. As for Houston, he takes the role that Noble will be vacating (remember Noble played 20 games in 2024). Houston can play smaller in 2025, and then come 2026, he is the obvious replacement for Howe. Secondly, any structure that gives Crisp more time in the midfield would be valuable. Lastly, if you and I are watching the same game, half back flank distributors are just about the most dangerous players in the game. How about Nick in 2022? How about Nick Blakey? How about Dane Zorko this year?? I think this is a rols y ou should absolutely invest in.

Its funny how people want to go to the draft "for the future"... Well you know when we draft 25-27 year old players they will contribute to our future as well right?? Guys like Houston, McStay and Schultz for example will have a guaranteed contribution for 5 years, starting immediately.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
SLORT
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

piffdog wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:29 am Its funny how people want to go to the draft "for the future"... Well you know when we draft 25-27 year old players they will contribute to our future as well right??
At no point was I suggesting going to the draft for raw talent. My point was ensuring we have draft capital to trade in a gun/s coinciding with salary cap space provided by the retiring veterans.

And yes, I agree the age of the distributing, high efficiency half-back flanker is upon us. J.Daicos even was put in that role once or twice this year. However we've also seen teams more willing to counteract their impact by playing run-with / tags upon them (Zorko, Stewart, etc). And in the end I just don't think that this is the area that we are glaringly weak in at the moment.

As an alternative, say we could get Sam De Koning and it'd cost us half what would be required to land Houston? Mobile, young tall defender with rucking potential sounds more like what we'd need for next year. No way Carlton is getting both Houston and De Koning and keeping their #11 draft pick.

Don't get me wrong Houston's a great player and would be a good get. I just think there may be better value to be had elsewhere.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It’s an interesting conversation. The proven quality for the now vs the punt on the draft for a 10 year, 200+ game talent. I’ve seen multiple lists and analysis showing how early picks don’t guarantee you any sort of security but i haven’t seen any lists evaluating the success or not of those big names who change clubs. For every big name who changes a club and plays in a flag, there’s possibly two who doesn’t. I’d suggest the hit rate of the top ten in a draft probably isn’t that different to an A GRADER swapping clubs and playing in a flag.
So let’s not forget, while a mature age player may stroll into your best 23, there is also nothing tangible that suggests one player makes a significant difference between a flag or not.
Footy is the ultimate team game, so it’s also not a game that lends itself to one individual making a significant difference to a clubs fortunes.
I’m not knocking any trade for a quality player but I’d suggest history shows, that route doesn’t guarantee an improved ladder position either.

Generally a club knows where they’re at in terms of their list profile management. There’s usually a natural evolution that declares itself as the seasons roll on.
For Collingwood to find themselves in a position where both list management directions could be easily justified, is a bit unique in itself.

I’m really looking forward to see how we trade / draft in the off season. Does the club go all in for the now, does it have a bob each way or do we invest more heavily in the draft than most would think.
It will be a fascinating watch.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

I will also add that you will never get a 200 game key position player in the draft if you dont draft them to begin with so you do have to be in it to win it.

I would like us to get Houston.

All good discussion.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

North released Bigoa Nyon, after picking him up from Richmond. He's a seriously big unit at 2.05 and was shown taking intercept marks. I wonder how he'd go as an SSP?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I know nothing of Bigoa Nyon, but surely if he can't get a game with the cellar dweller Roos, why on earth would we consider him good enough for us?
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Charlie Oneeye wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:56 pm'But we have Richardson, we don't need Lockett'. lol
Oh man, dont even!!
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Bigoa Nyon has been delisted by Hardwick and Clarkson. He would have played under Fly for 1 year in 2020 at Richmond. 4 AFL games in 5 seasons, I don't think he'll be able to make it from here.

When you see "205 cm", "Key Defender", "23 years old", and "athletic key back who has a knack for taking an intercept mark"... you always ask the question. But not everyone makes it at AFL level.

Here's his VFL stats: https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Bigoa_Nyuon
Presti35

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Presti35 »

Presti35 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:59 pm After watching Dom Brew for Werribee today, I got to wondering if he was any chance as a mature aged recruit? His final quarter was amazing and propelled Werribee to victory on a day where is hammered down and even hailed during the match.

He has had 2 good seasons in a row and brings lots of positive energy and emotion to the playing group. I think he may even be one of the faves for the Liston Trophy. He is tough and plays as an inside Mid, he has amazing leadership qualities and was the VFL state team captain earlier in the year. He'll be 28 in January, and at 180cm, some may say he is too similar to Lachie Sullivan for Collingwood to consider.

We saw Clohesy and Mannagh get drafted from Werribee last year. (Kind of weird for Clohesy as the Suns took him right after their VFL team beat Werribee in the GF). Some thought Brew was a chance last year. Could we see it this year?

https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Dominic_Brew
An article regarding Brew today;

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09/19/ ... -top-level

Is he too slow and does he hit the scoreboard enough? He has had 2 really good seasons for Werribee.