Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Jen2310 »

With Hawks eliminated, our picks are set ~ 33 (how ironic), 48, 51.
It'll improve once you can start trade picks, and once trade week starts. What we get for Noble, and possibly, Richards (feels like, if he hasn't signed by now he looks to be on the move)

<Mod edit - thanks @Jen2310 page 1 updated>
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

So with the real possibility that pick 12 makes it’s way to Collingwood, there’s only question to be asked. Does the club take it to the draft or trade it on for a high quality best 23 player ??
Personally, I would like to see us take it to the draft and invest it on the second best U18 key forward in the country, Jobe Shannon ( assuming he’s still there and that Collingwood rate him, of course ). Pick # 12 will likely be # 14 on the night ( but could yet be # 15 depending on the Battle compensation )
Twomey has Shanahan being selected in the high teens and only behind Armstrong ( likely top 10 ) as the second best genuine U18 KPF in the country. I thought Shanahan was very impressive playing for the Allies in the U18 championships ( he’s a Vic country kid ) and he also played very well in the few VFL games he played for Essendon ( he plays a bit like Nate Caddy too )
We are now one of the few clubs who don’t have a developing tall forward to hang our hat on and we really do need to put this position to bed soon, especially with both Miochek and McStay much closer to the end than the beginning. Obviously there’s no point in selecting a tall if the club don’t believe he would make it but failing that, the general consensus is that simply selecting next best available in this draft is a more safer bet than usual.
Conversely, trading on pick #12 would net us a serious player and immediately improve our best 23 but in doing so, would leave us with less youth coming through for the medium to long term.
Tough call, no matter which way you lean.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Pies2016 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:04 pm
Personally, I would like to see us take it to the draft and invest it on the second best U18 key forward in the country, Jobe Shannon
I'd take Shanahan in a heartbeat. He is a genuine KF contender, the other players available in the mid teens are not clearly above him IMO. No compromises are needed, pick the best KPF in the mid teens.

Next at pick 32, Xavier Lindsay. Has done his knee and will be out in 25. Slim chance, but a chance.

The Whitlocks look good prospects too.. but its Armstrong the absolute standout KP, he and Shannon move like AFL footballers.

Jonty Faull et al, more long shots... I'd rather next best ball player.
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

Jonty will be playing in the coates GF, lets see how he goes.
Jonty Faull (GWV Rebels)

We say: A 195cm key forward, Faull was sidelined until June with a back injury but has gone on to have a big second half of the year. He kicked five of the Rebels’ 10 goals in last week’s qualifying final win over the Oakleigh Chargers, following on from four goals in the quarter-final the previous week.

They say: “He’s a big power forward that can kick the ball a mile. He’s a really competitive player who has just risen to the challenge of the last couple of weeks.” – Rebels coach David Loader.

Harry Armstrong (Sandringham Dragons)

We say: A strong-marking 195cm key forward, Armstrong has been discussed as a top-10 pick ever since his stunning game against Vic Country in the last match of the under-18 national championships. He booted four goals from 13 disposals and five marks in the quarter-final win over the Calder Cannons.

They say: “What we’re seeing from Harry at the moment is an ability to play high up the ground as a key forward and play deeper. He’s got such great ball use that he can be a connecting player inside 50 from up the ground or he can be a finisher inside 50.” – Dragons coach Rob Harding.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... f1e2986ae3
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

We're apparantley keen on Bo Allan from WA
Would have to trade up, or maybe what we get from Noble. Clearly we have some intent to find a mid in the first round before getting a tall later on.

Twomey has him at #12 in his rankings.
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I might be dreaming, we get :
Pick 12 for Noble
Pick 10 Fremantle for our future first & 33.

In the least :
Bo Allen
Jobe Shanahan

Second/early 3rd for Richards

kreuger , ? - traded for future picks.
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

I've been watching drafts and under 18 comps for years and years. And every year I pick some players I really want to pick up. I dont think I've ever gotten one I wanted.

This year, its Whitlocks. Both of them.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

^
Well we won't be getting them then! :cry:
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Charlie Oneeye wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:04 pm I might be dreaming, we get :
Pick 12 for Noble
Pick 10 Fremantle for our future first & 33.
Just doesn't feel right.. trading a future 1 and a 2nd Round again to Fremantle to get back the pick we traded for Schultz.
But Fremantle do need another pick if they are going after that Sydney kid next year.

Need to throw something more in for Pick 12.
Possibly our F1st + Noble for Pick 12+?
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

^
Yeah, I think Pick 12 is a bit of a stretch. I'll take it, but realistically I guess around 20.
I wouldn’t combine his pick with our future pick to move up to Pick 10.

At the very least, we supporters expect to make the 8, but what if it ends up being Pick 4? Fremantle’s Pick 10 sort of splits the difference.

Trading our first-rounder for theirs should be enough.

But I added our Pick 33 to make sure we secure Pick 10. This overall draft runs deeper than usual,, pick 33 could end up a good player, but I think the early cream runs deeper too.

I always prefer a better chance for quality.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^GCS are going to burn pick #12 regardless, we might as well put our best offer forward and that'll need collaboration from another Club in order to secure what they require.
But with all poker hands, you don't reveal all of your cards after the first deal. No doubt we'll need to up our bet.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
npalm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

I think pick 12 for Noble is realistic. The Gold Coast Abomination is in desperate need of experienced players and John ticks a lot of boxes for them. He has played over 100 games, and while not an A grader is a good enough player to have played 43 of those games in the last two seasons with the reigning premier. He is a mature professional and has been developed in one of the best environments in the AFL.
And most importantly of all for GCA, he actually wants to go there!
Side by side.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Any trading of picks with Freo would be bound by whatever is left over after Bolton and Baker “ nominate “ their preferred destinations out of Eagles or Dockers. If both those players want to get to the Dockers ( or even one only ) then we would be an afterthought during the early part of the trading period.
Ideally we want to do most of pick swapping with the Suns because, unlike Freo, we have something they want and that’s Noble. There’s also more chance of receiving overs from the Suns ( however that ultimately looks ) than their is from the Dockers. Suns will also have interest in our F1 simply because they already have more 2024 draft capital than they need.
Suns #12 and # 20 > Noble + our F1 and maybe a bone would have appeal to both clubs, not just Collingwood. The Suns won’t have any use for either of those picks specifically because of where the Lombard bid will come in. Collingwoods much improved draft hand would give us the flexibility to either hit the draft hard or trade in an A grader or even a bit of both. As an aside, the Lukosuis trade looks a given, so the pick for Lukosuis could also come into play in this exercise, as could also the Suns #26 ( instead of #20 )
The options are endless and odds of anticipating the correct final outcome are close to zero but it’s always easier to work with a club who wants something you have and also when they in turn, have what you want too.

One piece of the puzzle that will need to be addressed, is trading back in to the 2025 draft should we trade out our F1. We can’t just go to the 2025 draft with a second and third rounder in the knowledge that McGuane will be an early pick. The new rules for points accumulation will take fourth rounders off the board, so it’s imperative we think about the future during this years draft window. I expect when all the dust has settled on draft night, we would have banked some points back in the 2025 draft. I understand we could also wait another 12 months to do so by trading in a 2026 pick but you don’t want to be constantly chasing your tail.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

A chance future 2nd 3rd round picks may come from trading out fringe players.
Kreuger, Macrae, Mcinnes, Markov, Johnson

Mcinnes looks ok to me, but in/out as a sub, and not selected when the opportunity was there. I'd keep him, but the club is tougher than me.

Macrae is too slow for AFL, exposed by many better opponents in the firsts.

Kreuger is break glass only, he has his moments. But the class is missing across a season.

Markov, what happened there? , was it personal issues? the zest went missing.

Johnson, I have a feeling it runs deeper, perhaps offfield. That's bad speculation on my part.

We may get into the 2025 trade period with enough to start with.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I want Isaac Heeney. :lol: