Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Isn’t Hayes more injury prone than Kreuger?
Culprit
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:05 pm Isn’t Hayes more injury prone than Kreuger?
He is and that’s why he’s completed a medical. “Potential” is he can play and can get him very cheap. We can rotate injured players. :D
Newelly
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

5:11pm wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:55 pm Stringer completed a medical on Monday 7.10.24
Oh yes and at which club was this anonymous rogue?
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I did a Gemini search on Jacks injuries over the last 3 years..

Lingering knee issue, .. carried it in 2023, then had a clean out.

The hammy likely related to his foot issue. (under/over training? )

The Broken navicular bone in his foot is stiff.

All in all, its the persistent knee that is my concern, but it may be resolved and disappear forever. The medical will tell,

___Gemini_____

2023:
Pre-season: Broken navicular bone in his foot.
Mid-season: Severe hamstring strain.
End of season: Knee clean-out surgery.  

2022:
Knee surgery: To address persistent swelling in his knee.

2021:
Knee surgery: To address a knee concern.
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Presti35 »

^that is call for a hard pass. Lets go back to looking at Ollie Lord
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

A key defender was the focus earlier on. Mark Keane stayed with Crows. Barrass and Battle picked the Hawks. We were earlier linked to all three of those guys at one point. Rory Lobb was also linked and had moved into a defensive role with the Dogs. I dont think Lobb is still a target for us.

We were also earlier linked to Bailey Smith who has asked for a move to Geelong. And then Jake Stringer, which was starting to look likely until the club crossed it out. James Peatling, Ben Hobbs, and Alex Davies were also linked to us, with Peatling asking for Crows and Hobbs and Davies to stay at their current clubs. And who could forget the Petracca saga followed by the Oliver saga? Not that Oliver was heavily linked to Collingwood, but some smaller media outlets mentioned the possibility.

We were then linked to Kennedy and Ollie Lord. And of course Perryman joined. Houston was on again, off again, on again and looking like a trade may happen.

So who knows if another player will become linked to us before next Wednesdays deadline?
slangman
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

^ It seems that 80% of potential trades are linked to Collingwood.
Not sure if it’s the media just trying to get more clicks or player agents manoeuvring for more money but it’s become too predictable to take most of it seriously.
- Side By Side -
SLORT
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by SLORT »

They confirmed (unnamed source) yesterday that Fin Macrae was looking at leaving as well. Wonder who'd be interested in him?

Btw ~ isn't this thread a bit long in the tooth? Started in 2022, would have thought each year deserved a new thread.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

^could be time for a trade winds Jack Hayes thread. But I guess its difficult for the Mods to keep the board tidy and this thread on topic too.

Once trade period is over, im sure this thread will sink, and maybe we'll see a 2025 thread pop up (there are some interesting free agents)
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
Re Fin Macrae, Fox and ZeroHangar sites have articles with him wanting out but he’s got 1 year to go and has had little interest on the open market.

Fin is being marked against contemporaries from the 2020 draft where Geelong picked Holmes one pick after us, the Dees took Jake Bowie (premier 21) and Freo took O’Driscoll a few picks later. We even traded down to get our last pick McCreery who’s also gone on to be a premiership player.

Port even took Ollie Lord at 49

Unless the Pies delist him early or he’s steakknives in a trade for pick 128, I think Fin could be around for 1 more year
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Is Fin actually reasonable value at 128? It seems a bit too much for a potential suitor to give up.
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

If another club wants depth, we may get something for Fin. He is too slow, and not damaging enough to make up for it.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
I think there’s a bigger picture unfolding in this trade period and it’s going to form a trend. Most clubs are so clogged with inside midfielders, that trading a fringe midfielder into your club isn’t really gaining anything because you’ve already got a similar type on your own list. There’s been little trade interest for inside mids in recent times ( unless it’s been one sided interest ) and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
The game is changing and clubs are starting to realise successful midfields are made up of more creative, impactful types rather than a midfield full of one paced extractors. You can have one good extractor but it’s the other creative mids that gain the territory.
Surely something has to give at Collingwood regarding our inside mid profile during this off season. We’ve got fringe midfielders that include the likes of Allan, Dimattia, MacRae, Sullivan and Long ( and we’ve added Perryman ) Obviously and thankfully, at least two of those should have significant further growth in them but that growth is stagnated if they’re sharing their minutes with too many other similar types. We need to let a couple go and replace them with a couple Hail Mary talls and hope to get to lucky. High risk, high reward.
If anything, a club might be better served being under stocked for inside mids in the short term, because what we now know is there’s plenty around and the clubs selling, aren’t wanting overs for them.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

There is a plethora of fringe clearance players outside of the AFL. Not hard to find fringe players.

Good ones are hard to get, or worth their weight in Gold if you can get them

Not the same players, but Perryman and Heuston(IF) will go a long way in filling the huge hole left by Pendles and Sidey when they retire.

The drama I envisaged when our current group of 31+ aged players retire is mitigated.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ I like your positivity but, really, Pendlebury and Sidebottom are not going to be replaced. We'll just eventually be selecting other people in place of them, which is not the same thing. Remember when lots of nicksters wanted Travis moved on, so we could accommodate our next gun CHF? We've played plenty of people in that spot in the last almost decade - but Travis has never actually been "replaced".