Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Pies2016 »

Just a thought. Could we potentially be in the ear of Tom Barrass. Structurally, he would be the perfect acquisition. The Hawks have really muddied the waters by trading out #14 to Blues.
I really don’t envisage a world where we don’t end up with #13 ( it’s not in Suns best interest to send it elsewhere when they want Noble ) but obviously #13 doesn’t guarantee us Houston though.
I just heard Leppitch say Perryman will play more at HB than midfield in 2025, so I don’t see why we need to sell the farm for another HBF.
I know Barrass is aligned to Hawthorn but Collingwood with #13 could really set the cat amongst the pigeons for a play at Barrass. He’s also under contract, so the Eagles hold all the cards. Eagles won’t be happy with the Hawks either, they no longer get # 14 to facilitate the Baker trade from Richmond.
Gotta love the trade period !!
Last edited by Pies2016 on Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but Houston will be at Carlton next year.

I for one am not unhappy at this, I have said all along I would prefer Collingwood to go to the draft with as decent a hand of picks as possible
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
SLORT
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by SLORT »

Pies2016 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:35 pm Just a thought. Could we potentially be in the ear of Tom Barrass. Structurally, he would be the perfect acquisition.
It'd be worth it just to see Smitchell and Sosilly have a media conference where they can play their violins and shed their tears about the unfairness of it all...

Actually I think GW's finger may be in this...he loves wheelin and deelin with his old club. Just hard to see what type of pie they're baking.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
The Hawks will obviously have a plan in mind with those pick swaps but if they can pull off the Barrass trade from here, it should be remembered as the greatest heist since the great train robbery.
Maybe they are planning to trade out a decent player in order to bring better 2024 picks back in. Who knows but they really have just blown up the trade period big time.

The only way I can find a way for Hawks to still land Barrass is for them to have a club ( Richmond or Dockers ) who is prepared to trade out a high single digit draft pick for the Hawks F1 and now Blues F1. Tigers will be happy with a couple first round futures and Hawks get that slightly better early pick that doesn’t require a sweetener to land Barrass. If that’s not it, then I don’t know how they land Barrass. There’s a bit to play out here and maybe the Pies are part of it.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Pies2016 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:38 pm ^^^
The Hawks will obviously have a plan in mind with those pick swaps but if they can pull off the Barrass trade from here, it should be remembered as the greatest heist since the great train robbery.
Maybe they are planning to trade out a decent player in order to bring better 2024 picks back in. Who knows but they really have just blown up the trade period big time.
Ginnivan is goin the Wet Toast...you heard it here first!
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

SLORT wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:42 pm
Pies2016 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:38 pm ^^^
Ginnivan is goin the Wet Toast...you heard it here first!
For once I feel sorry for wet toast - hope they can find a baby sitter for him.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

jonmac1954 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:38 pm For once I feel sorry for wet toast - hope they can find a baby sitter for him.
Kerr would probably break both his arms. Cousins should be perfect.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

SLORT wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:46 pm
jonmac1954 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:38 pm For once I feel sorry for wet toast - hope they can find a baby sitter for him.
Kerr would probably break both his arms. Cousins should be perfect.
Amen.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

I'm getting over this bullshit. Time to change tack and drop the play for Houston.

Offer our F1 and Noble to Suns for pick 13 and take it to the draft.

Tell Port that if they want Richards, we want Lord. He's back in the queue, same as Richards. If they won't play ball we say to Joe he can either sign the offer on the table to stay, or go to the draft and take his chances.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Big T »

Yep agree Stui. I think Leppa agrees as well, we can’t sell our future for Dan
Buon Giorno
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

stui magpie wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:05 pm I'm getting over this bullshit. Time to change tack and drop the play for Houston.

Yep, especially after hearing Leppitch say that Perryman would likely spend most of his 2025 as a HB. Do we really need to sell the farm for another one ?
There’s a couple really good lessons to already be learnt from this trade period.
1 ) Do your pick swaps early and have your currency ready to go early in the piece. Most clubs won’t take you seriously while you don’t have those key pieces already in your possession ( in this case, # 13 ) Carlton have made their move and now have #14. That’s how you get a another clubs attention.
2 ) I differ a little about trading out F1 but I understand we couldn’t get down to #13 without trading it out. Our current situation is severely impacted because we don’t have a first rounder at our disposal. We are going to continue to be hamstrung during every trade period as long as we continue to trade out our F1s. You want to be ahead of the curve, not behind it. This is also the very reason why I’m happy to move on from the Houston trade. Keep our F1 ( F / S selection or not in 2025 ) and just trade Noble out for what both clubs think he’s worth. Same with Richards and then take our draft booty to market and get busy on the last two days ( and that could yet include our F1 if we really liked what was on offer) It might be player trades or it could be pick swaps to improve our draft hand but you can’t do much of anything if you still don’t have any trade capital by the last day of the trade period.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

^
I don't mind it but Fly is looking for instant improvement to have a crack at the flag in 2025. Picks in the late 20's early 30's wont do that. It's players or early picks that can play straight away. There's clearly a balance.

If we can get #13 to take to the draft and turn a fringe small forward (Richards) into a young KPF (Lord) we tick both boxes. Getting picks for Son of Mick can be done during the draft.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

stui magpie wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:05 pm I'm getting over this bullshit. Time to change tack and drop the play for Houston.

Tell Port that if they want Richards, we want Lord. He's back in the queue, same as Richards. If they won't play ball we say to Joe he can either sign the offer on the table to stay, or go to the draft and take his chances.
How it Looks that yes we are going to Drop out of the Houston Race Monday or Tuesday

Only downside for us that he could easily wind up at Carlton then
I am Da Man
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Presti35 »

What makes you think we'll drop out?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Presti35 »

I still think Lord and Houston are huge chances to be at Collingwood. And that this could happen on Monday. I think Hayes and Tomlinson could be signed as DFA's, but not a priority right now. I liked others ideas about splitting 13, but this won't happen if Houston comes across. I think Kennedy is out of reach as the Blues wont deal with us and probably not willing to just take pick 36.

What I really want to know, is what is going to happen with Barrass? Have the Hawks said goodbye to this? Can we find a way to snag him? Dont ask me how.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!