Welcome to Collingwood - Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 196 times

Re: Welcome to Collingwood - Dan Houston

Post by Presti35 »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 8:14 pm So what number does Dan Houston take?

9, 12, 15, 27, 28, 29, 34 and 39 all up for grabs now.
9 I reckon. He wore 5 at Port and 19 for Oakleigh. Although, I think 15 would suit him. My gut feeling is that he is one of those guys that isn't fussed about the number. I know that it's been politely asked if HH will give up 36, but that was for another guy.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
swooper
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swooper »

K wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:07 pm ^ Media report Nick Daicos was a big factor in getting Houston. How does Nick know Dan?? Bit of an age diff...
He was at Camberwell Grammar with Josh and Nick. I think he was also a housemate in Adelaide with Billy ...
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

^^ Here's the article:
‘Nick pushed it’: Magpie mates sparked recruit’s call after Dees ‘unrest’ caused trade backflip
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... fd5afa79c8
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 174 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Interesting - not a mention of Carlton anywhere, there, though at one point they were said to be the frontrunners and he was said to have expressed a "preference" to get to Princes Park.
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Pies4shaw wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:19 pm Interesting - not a mention of Carlton anywhere, there, though at one point they were said to be the frontrunners and he was said to have expressed a "preference" to get to Princes Park.
Think that was WIshful Thinking from the Anti-Collingwood Jurno's hoping he was not going to Collingwood

Carlton might had Interest Early but Dropped out Quickly
I am Da Man
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

He is a very handy recruitment. I'm looking forward to his long and fruitful career with us.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Watching Dan and Nick rotated across half back and through the mid is going to be a nightmare for the opposition, and an absolute joy for us to watch! Bring on 2025!
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by Big T »

I can see we will now target established stars in the 25-27 age bracket at 2-3 yearly intervals selling draft picks to cut out the development time of incoming stars. Salary cap management will be super critical
Buon Giorno
RudeBoy
Been liked: 136 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Good point Big T.

I reckon we'll bring in 2-3 established players each year along with 3 young players thru the draft. That would make for a good balance, and keep us contending for the flag each year.
duggieboy
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by duggieboy »

I like the strategy & it serves the coach's stated desire/strategy well. Give Fly what he wants, so he can also maximize his own talent as a coach & bring us another flag.
Seems to me the club is backing this fully - thank goodness the recent internal stuff doesn't seem to be affecting the footy side of things ... (what would I know!) touch wood!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

duggieboy wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:26 am I like the strategy & it serves the coach's stated desire/strategy well. Give Fly what he wants, so he can also maximize his own talent as a coach & bring us another flag.
Seems to me the club is backing this fully - thank goodness the recent internal stuff doesn't seem to be affecting the footy side of things ... (what would I know!) touch wood!
I love the fact that Fly and the club are choosing players who can assist our aims to possibly achieve another flag on two with our current list. It’s an exciting strategy. Us fans will have an awesome adventure in the coming years with the team being good enough to play finals.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

lazzadesilva wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:16 pm
duggieboy wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:26 am
I love the fact that Fly and the club are choosing players who can assist our aims to possibly achieve another flag on two with our current list. It’s an exciting strategy. Us fans will have an awesome adventure in the coming years with the team being good enough to play finals.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Big T wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:17 pm I can see we will now target established stars in the 25-27 age bracket at 2-3 yearly intervals selling draft picks to cut out the development time of incoming stars. Salary cap management will be super critical
Exactly. The club told us they were clearing the cap to make space for future recruit/s. Most of us must have been thinking of a marquee-type players i.e. Jeremey Cameron. Someone that they may have already lined up. Not necessarily the case.

The marquee type isn't always available at the right time,. but nevertheless, as you said, the strategy now List/TPP is to recruit very good players to fill the gaps on a sustainable ongoing basis.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 136 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Pies4shaw wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:19 pm Interesting - not a mention of Carlton anywhere, there, though at one point they were said to be the frontrunners and he was said to have expressed a "preference" to get to Princes Park.
Clearly he mainly wanted to return to Melbourne and hopefully at a big club. Melbourne and then Carlton were the clubs leading the race for him early on, because they each had better draft picks available to get a deal done with Port. It seems that only once we knew Richards wanted to go to Port and Noble to Cold Toast did we seriously enter the race for Houston. Once we entered the race I'm sure he was hoping we'd get him across the line.

I think he's going to be one of the best ever players we've recruited from another club. Can't wait to see him don the black and white.
SLORT
Has liked: 284 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by SLORT »

Fun fact ~ Corey Enright went on to win 6 AA's. He won his first at the age of 27. So at this stage of his career Dan Houston is already one ahead. Knock on wood.