#12 Shannon Cox

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

john b

Post by john b »

Mabee Cox can come in for Waikes. Nicolls should get another go, its a tough first up game against the best midfield in the comp and on there home ground.
collingwoodjoe

Post by collingwoodjoe »

Cox was brilliant at HBF, just magic the way he can cause a spillage, win the footy in congestion, run clear with pace and dispose accurately to advantage, must get a game soon.
go pies!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

die4pies wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:I was also very disappointed with O'Brien, so his spot might also be up for grabs.
Please elaborate.

What exactly are you expecting from Harry?
I thought he struggled to have much of an impact on the game. I'm not saying that he should necessarily be dropped, but simply that if we are picking players on form then his spot should come under scrutiny. Having said that, young players will invariably struggle for consistency, so there's clearly a strong case for perservering with the kid for a while yet.
favourites 2008

Post by favourites 2008 »

He stopped a rampaging wirria after he kicked the first two goals. He then picked up armstrong and did a similar job, i reckon he had 1 goal kicked on him at the most, his done his job, he also backed himself to spoil staker (1st qtr) by leaving wirria and attacking the footy. He was by far not our worst.

As for Cox, very exciting. Seen him play a couple of games last year and i really liked the looks of him, his been held back to get some more experience and the time is now to let the cox out of the shackles.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

favourites 2006 wrote:He stopped a rampaging wirria after he kicked the first two goals. He then picked up armstrong and did a similar job, i reckon he had 1 goal kicked on him at the most, his done his job, he also backed himself to spoil staker (1st qtr) by leaving wirria and attacking the footy. He was by far not our worst.

As for Cox, very exciting. Seen him play a couple of games last year and i really liked the looks of him, his been held back to get some more experience and the time is now to let the cox out of the shackles.
You might be right. It's a bit hard to judge players on TV, and I seem to be the only one here who was disappointed with Harry's game, so I'll happily bow to the majority, because I generally am a great fan of Harry's attack on the ball and the man.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

By all reports he's on song. Give him a run.
Dragme
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Dragme »

Well done to the young kid. Excellent debut against the Tigers.

I'm converted Joffa.
Born, Live and Die a Magpie
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

How did Cox go?

Post by think better »

Seeing the game on TV it is hard to gauge how Cox went in his first game - he did a couple of good things once he settle down but I would be interested to know what his work off the ball was like
I think therefore I think - I think
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Not a prolific ball getter, but he kept Pettifer pretty quiet in defence, and showed great closing speed on occasions to thump the ball clear. Was not at all disappointed with his match.
Magpie Since 1986

Post by Magpie Since 1986 »

Johnson#26 wrote:Not a prolific ball getter, but he kept Pettifer pretty quiet in defence, and showed great closing speed on occasions to thump the ball clear. Was not at all disappointed with his match.
I think youll find O'Brien was on Pettifer for pretty much the whole game.

Can't recall who Cox was on, he was on and off the ground a lot and playing in midfield as well as back so didn't really have a task like O'Brien did. Wasn't the worst debut but he didn't do a lot. Looked alright though.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

I could have swarn I saw Cox matched on Pettifer at stages. Or was it Schulz? All those blond haired Tiger duds...:P
pedro

Post by pedro »

He went on to Shulz after he kicked a couple early goals, and did a pretty good job imo.
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

Nah it was Schulz. Schulz probably had the better of him on the lead but for a first gamer, in a pressure cooker game deep in defence he did really well
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

I think what impressed me about Cox was the way he composed himself in pressure situations. There were a number of times when he did the right thing at the right time (e.g. defensive punch, handball), when a mistake or poor effort could have cost us dearly. I was at least as impressed with Cox as I was with the other two, and hopefully he doesn't get dropped.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
jeff corfe

Post by jeff corfe »

The coaching staff were delighted with Shannon Cox especially with his last quarter when things got hectic the word is he obeyed MM's instructions beautifully.