When raising the banner... (rant)

A forum for the use of Collingwood's Cheer Squad - and for anyone else who would like to comment on or contact the Cheer Squad.

Moderator: bbmods

hoggy

When raising the banner... (rant)

Post by hoggy »

Whatever happened to the good old days of showing the crowd both sides of the banner. I wanted a photo of Tarkyn's 150th game banner, and it was never shown to the broadcast wing, instead we got that Bob Rose slogan - how original I might add.

In previous years the holders would raise the banner to show one side, then quickly dash around and show the other side so everyone would see both sides.

The banners are on the ground to be viewed as part of the spectacle of AFL football, I would have thought the C/S would have wanted to show off their artwork.

Rant over.
Barge
Gazza05

Post by Gazza05 »

I have wondered the same. The banner used to be turned around so everyone could see.
ITS NOT MY FAULT BLOODY JONATHON BROWN COMES FROM WARRNAMBOOL !!
stik35

Post by stik35 »

I'm not involved in taking the banner out but I do know from past experience that it is probably due to time restraints.

The officials only allow so much time and one game I remember a few years ago, they wouldn't let us out there at all and the boys had to run out without a banner, even though the other team had theirs out!

Someone currently involved can probably shed some light.
If you bleed black and white you'll never walk alone.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Having done it once this year, there's just not the time to guarantee both sides of the banner can be shown, and the MCG officials seem to resent every second the Cheersquad is out there.
Gazza05

Post by Gazza05 »

What is their problem ?
Its not like there are Reserve matches on before the seniors anymore.
maggies_4_eva

Post by maggies_4_eva »

The problem has alot to do with the person who is in charge this year. :(
Dan 3:16

Post by Dan 3:16 »

Chris and Louie are doing a great job.
Banner never ran better, we have a limited time on the ground to do what we want. we have never had any problems in the past.
Please dont stir trouble!! Chris has 15 years of experience. and know what he is doing his concern is the safety of the players/ppl on the ground and its not easy Jan BACK OFF
We are black
We are white
We are bloody DYNAMITE

GO PIES
cobood

Post by cobood »

Gazza, its not the ppl in charge of banner that is the problem...... The time alloted by the AFL sometimes is too short to be able to manouvre the banner also you have the wind factor, too many inexperienced ppl out on the ground (we have to try and teach ppl so that is where the inexperience comes in).Then you have the experienced ppl who should know better deciding to do their own thing. Its so easy for ppl to say that its not a big deal, if you have never done it, you cant possibly know how dangerous it is out there.
The consideration at all times is with the SAFETY OF THE PLAYERS!!!!
If at all possible the banner does get shown both sides.

Photos of both sides are taken each round by our designated photographer Chrys Glitzos and they are posted on the CFC site..
....Collingwood Forever....
....Premiers 2010/
maggies_4_eva

Post by maggies_4_eva »

Dan 3:16 wrote:Chris and Louie are doing a great job.
Banner never ran better, we have a limited time on the ground to do what we want. we have never had any problems in the past.
Please dont stir trouble!! Chris has 15 years of experience. and know what he is doing his concern is the safety of the players/ppl on the ground and its not easy Jan BACK OFF

Come on Daniel, you know as well as I do what part of the problem is. I'm not criticising anyone's ability at all.
Dan 3:16

Post by Dan 3:16 »

maggies_4_eva wrote:The problem has alot to do with the person who is in charge this year. :(
So why did you post it then?

Btw Frankie i agree with you 100% because we know it run cause we have done it for a long time!
We are black
We are white
We are bloody DYNAMITE

GO PIES
Gazza05

Post by Gazza05 »

cobood wrote:Gazza, its not the ppl in charge of banner that is the problem...... The time alloted by the AFL sometimes is too short to be able to manouvre the banner also you have the wind factor, too many inexperienced ppl out on the ground (we have to try and teach ppl so that is where the inexperience comes in).Then you have the experienced ppl who should know better deciding to do their own thing. Its so easy for ppl to say that its not a big deal, if you have never done it, you cant possibly know how dangerous it is out there.
The consideration at all times is with the SAFETY OF THE PLAYERS!!!!
If at all possible the banner does get shown both sides.

Photos of both sides are taken each round by our designated photographer Chrys Glitzos and they are posted on the CFC site..
Sorry I'm not having a go at you. Just wondering why the AFL put time restaints on you guys
seans

Post by seans »

at best we have 10 mins on the ground to unfurl the banner,lift it up,fix any holes in it,get the banner up then get off the ground.at least it went up in brisbane-last year in sydney we were not even allowed that!
go tazza baby,kick sheehan where the sun don't shine
maggies_4_eva

Post by maggies_4_eva »

Yeah Goooooooooooooooooooooooooo Tazza.