Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

Very Sad.

Condolences to the family.
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

Obviously a senseless loss, but here's a novel idea - how about we wait and see what has happened before jumping to any half-arsed conclusions about the use of illicit drugs in this instance? We have no idea if drugs were involved fullstop, much less whether or not those drugs were illicit, prescription or otherwise. As for Cousins and his supposed '6 weeks rehabilititation' I was under the impression he had returned for further treatment immediately after the end of the season. Is this factored into your six weeks? No, I didn't think so.
surfer1

Post by surfer1 »

Reminds me of a few years ago when Peter Jackson a kangaroo/Qld rep in Rugby League took a drug overdose and then they found out he was on anti depressent medication.

If it was a drug overdose who knows why?

Reinforces the need for the AFL to keep a close look at the stars who retire.
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

Rest in peace Chris Mainwaring, a class act who will be missed.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Very sad - whatever the cause

I lived in Perth for a while and saw a quite a few Eagles games he made up one of the best centrelines ever with Matera and Kemp
I think therefore I think - I think
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

Look, it's not too much to ask, when someone has just died, for people to hold off from slagging the poor guy. One of our own died last week, and was treated with the utmost respect by the football community. How about we show a bit of class and do the same?

It's got nothing to do with cred, or lack thereof, and I don't care what you think about that anyway.

RIP Chris Mainwaring. That's all anyone needs to say.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
Larry

Post by Larry »

Cousins one of last to see Mainwaring
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=301171
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

RIP Chris Mainwaring. Geez I used to envy their midfield when he was going around.

Do we have any sound medical information on the nature of his death yet?
xtcc

Post by xtcc »

RIP Chris
Thoughts with the family.

So here we are again, drugs in sport.

Q. Who makes one drug legal & another not.
A. The Australian government ?

If you live in South Australia, NT or the ACT, growing weed & smoking it is not a criminal offense (personnel use)

Light up a bunger in Civic ACT $100 on the spot.
Open can of Jim Beam in the same spot $380 ?

Q. What did Chapman have at 1/2 time
A. A performance enhancing injection.

Drugs are drugs & it is time the barriers were broken down. You can take which ever side of the fence you like, but don't keep your head in the sand.

This goes to show how brittle life is.
Wheelie for safety. Go the Pies.
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

You don't know how he died. So what gives you or anyone else the right to sit in judgment? He's still entitled to some dignity.

The fact is only that a man has died young and left a grieving family behind. I think that deserves respect. I'm not suggesting anyone pay homage in any way - I'm just saying that attacking him after the fact is disrespectful and unnecessary.

I'll say it again: RIP Chris Mainwaring is all anyone needs to say, if they want to. Is that so hard?
Mich@el

Post by Mich@el »

Agreed, let's not lower ourselves to the level of slagging off a dead man who would otherwise be remembered for his massive contribution to the sport both in his playing and post-playing years.
RIP and respect to his family.
"Those with the most invested are the last to surrender"
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Tragic news, Chris was a great footballer and well loved amongst his peers. Very sad that someone so young should lose their life.

Condolances to his family and friends
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
luvlicca

Post by luvlicca »

RIP Chris, and condolences to your family and friends.
- Thanks for the memories Licca - I'm gonna miss you!!! - Bring on 2008 - Nick Maxwell has my vote for Captain -
didaksrightfoot

Post by didaksrightfoot »

Pied Piper wrote:I don't live in Perth, Tess, and don't know where you got that idea.
I do live in Perth and the guy has been involved with plenty of charities and community services from day one.

As a footballer he was very good and was a big part of the Eagles becoming (AFAIK) the quickest club to win 2 flags since probably the beginning of the VFL.
As a public figure he did a lot of great work.

His personal life is his personal life - why should any of us care what he does in his personal life? That is for his family, close friends (and maybe police) to worry about.

He's not a footballer anymore. Whatever right it is that most fans think they have to know about players personal lives is surely no longer relevent.

He is a media personality. Do we really have any reason to care what a celebrity does in their spare time?
rocketronnie

Post by rocketronnie »

I met Chris a number of times in 1993 and he was a great guy. I'm not sure what killed him and will hold off judgement until the coroner makes his report.

Everything else is just opinion.

Rest in peace Chris.
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".