#20 Ben Reid

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Wearmouth

Post by Wearmouth »

Please start naming the kids that are his age that are better.

And remember to compare apples with apples.

Look at that draft in particular and you will see that he and brown were almost the pick of the draft in terms of talls.

Give him some time. If he was playing in his age group he would star.
He needs two more years for his best.
Go Pies 2011!!!!

Floreat Pica!!!!
DaVe86

Post by DaVe86 »

yer some better posts starting to happen now.

Reid was always 3 years off a point where we could expect him to start breaking through. He is definitely doing that considering he was named in the round 1 squad. He had a poor game and should be dropped.

At VFL level, he should really start playing some consistent footy and will push again for senior selection.

Still only 19!!! Unbelievable. Beams is already his age.
There's more to life than footy.........just not much more.
melliot

Post by melliot »

Still haven't seen Rd1 game (Hopefully downloaded when I get home tonight), But based on comments and what I've read, free flowing ball to a forward line was poor. If Cloke had a below average game, how does anyone expect Reid to have a good game? A leading target is more reliant on good ball movement.

I'd be dissapointed to see him dropped. I'd like to see him against a weaker opposition to try and get confidence. But as I said before. It may be a team balance thing and they want to get another midfielder/small into the side.

Ohhh. Yer that Beams he's 19! should have won the brownlow by now! What a hack! pfffffft! (tounge in cheek!!!! ;))
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Reid is a dud. Yeah he's 19, but if Freo offered Tarrant for Reid I'd swap him in a heart beat
jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

rocketronnie wrote:Dawes has a 100% better skill set than Reid's in every respect. He has played the game since he was a kid and has the instincts for it. I'm not sure Reid has that yet. He needs to learn the game before he is put up to the seniors again. To me it was very poor selection to play Reid ahead of Dawes in the forward line.
I agree Ronnie. And now I think the problem with Dawes is purely a confidence one. He got two extremely short cracks in the NAB Cup, made two mistakes and was gone for the rest of the games. The kid won't develop his confidence with that lack of coaching support. (I shudder to think if he has crossed Mick at some point.)

I think the time has come to say, we're not going to have a repeat of 2008, and even if we miss the eight we'll play the kids with talent and be damned. Throw Dawes into the forward line, give him a specific role and give him the confidence that despite making a few mistakes (he couldn't make as many as Reid has been :roll: ) we have faith in him. Dawes is the sort of physically intimidating player Reid could only ever dream of becoming.
melliot

Post by melliot »

mattdally wrote:Reid is a dud. Yeah he's 19, but if Freo offered Tarrant for Reid I'd swap him in a heart beat
I'm glad your not director of recruiting!!!!!!

Todays Age has Tarrant quoted to say 2010 to be his last year (I just read the headline). So you'd swap a potential 10 year player for a washed up forward, come back flanker with 1 and a bit years left in him. I'm a Tarrant fan (the CFC version), but now glad we did what we did in 2006.

pffft. Reid is almost equivilant to a first year draftee KPP. FFS, He's done more than Jack Watts in 2009.

Jezz, I'm gunna love bringing this thread back in two years time to see so many of you eat your words!!!!

How can so many experts be wrong about this kid. So many of the coaches at CFC think this kid will be good. So many commentators of VFL & AFL say they reckon this kid has got the stuff to make it.
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

jack_spain wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:Dawes has a 100% better skill set than Reid's in every respect. He has played the game since he was a kid and has the instincts for it. I'm not sure Reid has that yet. He needs to learn the game before he is put up to the seniors again. To me it was very poor selection to play Reid ahead of Dawes in the forward line.
I agree Ronnie. And now I think the problem with Dawes is purely a confidence one. He got two extremely short cracks in the NAB Cup, made two mistakes and was gone for the rest of the games. The kid won't develop his confidence with that lack of coaching support. (I shudder to think if he has crossed Mick at some point.)

I think the time has come to say, we're not going to have a repeat of 2008, and even if we miss the eight we'll play the kids with talent and be damned. Throw Dawes into the forward line, give him a specific role and give him the confidence that despite making a few mistakes (he couldn't make as many as Reid has been :roll: ) we have faith in him. Dawes is the sort of physically intimidating player Reid could only ever dream of becoming.
Dawes played six games in a row last year including both finals to see out the season. That included second chances after games when he performed poorly. How does that translate to "lack of coaching support"?

Reid performed well in the NAB Cup and was selected for the first senior game accordingly, so I have to disagree with Ronnie as well as you. Dawes' form was comparatively down, so he was relegated to the twos. That's life. It's likely both players will take a while to come on. Not so long ago you wrote this was a "make or break" year for Dawes - this in his second year post-knee reco! - so it's me who's shuddering to think what you'll write when he gets another crack at the big time and puts in the inevitable shocker.

One week into the season, and you're already writing off the coach, the club and the season. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
GlovemanGayfer

Post by GlovemanGayfer »

Gee i'd love to play for Collingwood. You get drafted and your the next Ablett. You play 2 years, break your foot and after one game of the following season (where you pinch hit in at least 3 positions) you have people calling for your head. Talk about motivation!!

If you hate our captain!
If you hate our kids!
If you hate our coach/president/waterboy!
Go and support someone else!

Ben Reid is a thin, fast, strong marking player. He is younger or the same age as most of this years recruits and you want to get rid of him. I've heard more positive things about Toby Thoolen on here than Ben Reid. I wish the boy kicked 15 last week and I am sure he did too. How many of you said the pies should get rid of that skinny Leon Davis or shouldn't have recruited that athlete Pendlebury and don't even start on the certain failure of Irish recruits.

Get behind our players because like it or not they are OUR players. Any man who pulls on that jumper is part of US.
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

Reid is 2 weeks older than kruezer and if he was 5 days older would of missed that draft. Was injured last year when he started to get some game time and after 1 round people want to write him off.

Seem to recall against carlton last year that despite his poor shot at goal, he was holding his own, if not leading Waite a meery dance during that game.

Huge upside.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Dawes problem is his Footy Smarts as he does not know when to lead and where to lead
I am Da Man
GlovemanGayfer

Post by GlovemanGayfer »

Dave The Man wrote:Dawes problem is his Footy Smarts as he does not know when to lead and where to lead
Dawes' problem is that he was annointed the "next Jonathon Brown" before actually playing a seniors game (also known as Tom Hawkins Phenomenon).
optimax

Post by optimax »

Dave The Man wrote:Dawes problem is his Footy Smarts as he does not know when to lead and where to lead
Are you quoting shawthing on BF now?
Get presti a goal please donate
rocketronnie

Post by rocketronnie »

Nothing against him but Reid needs to learn some basic footy skills - like kicking. His field kicking is no better than his goal kicking at the moment. My recollections of that Carlton game are quite different. He got about 6 possessions and had little impact if I recall. People obviously want him to do well - so do I - but he needs to learn the skills of the game in the reserves for the rest of the year.
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

optimax wrote:
Are you quoting shawthing on BF now?
No a few people have noted this on Dawes on Bigfooty and I seen a bit and does make sense as he does get caught alot behing his man
I am Da Man
themonk

Post by themonk »

Everyone is making some valid points about Reid and I honestly hope I do eat my words. Yes he is young & has time to turn it around and he should be given 2 more years.

When watching a young kid you don't expect too much, in particular a tall, but with Reid I have yet to see a glimpse of something special, something a little different. He does tend to lead well, but his decision making & his disposal is very poor, to add to this his intensity reminds me of Bo Nixon, almost non-existent.

:cry: