Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

WEG's funeral was a great success. Max Walker recounted the story that Bill Green drew a picture of a burglar who broke into his home three years ago. The police were able to nab the man because of the accuracy of his caricature.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/laugh ... -7ay4.html

Laughs replace tears in farewell to 'one of nature's gentlemen'
When a burglar broke into William Ellis Green's home one morning three years ago, the then 82-year-old didn't miss a beat.

He jumped out of bed, pulled on his dressing gown and chased the offender, who eventually got away on his grandson's bike.

The local police arrived and almost laughed when the man universally known as WEG', one of Australia's longest-serving cartoonists, offered to draw his attacker.

Fifteen minutes later, patrolling officers caught the suspect thanks to the perfect image sketched by Green in less than a minute.

Laughs replaced tears at the Heritage Funeral Home in Wantirna today as former cricketer and close friend Max Walker recalled the story before hundreds of mourners who had come to farewell Weg.
nulla

Post by nulla »

Great story Jack and coming from Max it would have been a great moment.
I have a lazy eye and I think it is now spreading throughout the rest of my body
Black_White

Richard Pratt

Post by Black_White »

Looks like the Carlton Prez is on the way out.

Family have been told to say their goodbyes.

http://www.ajn.com.au/news/news.asp?pgID=7337
sq3

Post by sq3 »

Very sad - thoughts to the family.
Coaches give you direction but skills win you matches.
MOTR

Post by MOTR »

Censored
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood
CAAS

Post by CAAS »

deepest sympathy to Richard and the family. Although he is a carlton supporter, he is a top bloke who has helped many a person in time of need and is a very generous bloke to his employee's. Although demanding, he didnt have to give the things he has given as not many others do as he does for his employee's. It is a pleasure working for the man.

Rgds
Mick
We are the premiers
The mighty premiers
and we are mental, and we are mad
we are the loyalist, football supporters
the world has ever had.
MACDAICOS

Post by MACDAICOS »

My Grandfather went the same way a couple of weeks ago.

I wouldnt wish it upon anyone.

Thoughts are with he's family.
************ANTI SIG************
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

I Just got tested and had the all clear. Mind you when the doctor said I have to do an internal I asked him for his phone number so I felt closer to him. When I left I asked him if he wanted mine. :P

Sorry to hear about Richard Pratt it just shows us all that anyone can get cancer.
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

my thoughts to the family as well.

My father died of this 11 1/2 years ago, well, actually he passed away from the secondary bone cancer which was all part of the original prostate cancer.

My 45 year old brother has just been diagnosed with this as well.

If your over 40.....don't delay, go and get tested, have a PSA blood test today. If your PSA levels are high, then you will need to have the other test which Culprit has had.

If you have a history of this in your family.....no matter what your age, the earlier the diagnosis, the better the treatment and the better the success of the treatment.
Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

Very Sad to hear about Richard Pratt all thoughts go to the family.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

CAAS wrote: he is a top bloke who has helped many a person in time of need and is a very generous bloke to his employee's.
He's also a criminal who ripped off each and every australian. I don't like to see anyone get cancer so he has my sympathies, but let's be honest here.
kill for collingwood!
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

^ There are many facets to any person's makeup. Clearly Pratt did the wrong thing as chair of Visy and he has paid the price for that. He has equally clearly made an immense civic contribution in other ways. Neither should be overlooked.

Thoughts to his family.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
MOTR

Post by MOTR »

Member34259 - Over the years Pratt has donated millions to both the major parties so don't expect anything but platitudes from our politicians.

Meanwhile his company has been responsible for rorting $700 million from Australian consumers and destroying opportunities for many small businesses. The man is crook who would be doing jail time if we had the same anti-competition laws that are standard elsewhere in the world.

I would, however, like to thank Richard for passing on my money to some worthwhile causes, although I'd like to have it on record that the Carlton Football Club is not my idea of a worthy charity.
Last edited by MOTR on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

He has also contributed plenty of money to sporting clubs and not for profit organizations in my area.
So, yes, I forgive him his "sin" and I'm not a politician.