#20 Ben Reid

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

woftam

Post by woftam »

For once can't we just be patient & let a young bloke develop without declaring him the greatest thing since sliced bread?
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

woftam wrote:For once can't we just be patient & let a young bloke develop without declaring him the greatest thing since sliced bread?
and ruin a perfect record?
MOTR

Post by MOTR »

woftam wrote:For once can't we just be patient & let a young bloke develop without declaring him the greatest thing since sliced bread?
I don't know. I remember calling a young Heath Shaw the Messiah - doesn't seem to have done him any harm.
Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood

Post by 3.14159 »

In the words of Jack Dyer,...."A good average player!".

Mind you, that draft was a poor one after pick 7, (Joel Selwood, Reid was taken at 8).
Jack Riewoldt, Leroy Jetta and Tom Hawkins were the stand-outs taken after Reid was. It just goes to show why Geebung IS THE club du Jour. They don't muck around at the Draft table. (In the 2000 Draft they would NEVER have swapped pick 3 (and Clinton King) for Steve McKee! Imagine the result of the 2002-3 grand-finals with Mathew Pavlich AND Pebbles in front of goal!
Drafting is where the modern game is played and We still scrum-it round the flanks rather than go straight down the middle!
Mind You, Carlton do their drafting under the table and on the black Market and "IF" they do manage to win anything it will be absolutely worthless!
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

3.14159...etc wrote:In the words of Jack Dyer,...."A good average player!".

Mind you, that draft was a poor one after pick 7, (Joel Selwood, Reid was taken at 8).
Jack Riewoldt, Leroy Jetta and Tom Hawkins were the stand-outs taken after Reid was. It just goes to show why Geebung IS THE club du Jour. They don't muck around at the Draft table. (In the 2000 Draft they would NEVER have swapped pick 3 (and Clinton King) for Steve McKee! Imagine the result of the 2002-3 grand-finals with Mathew Pavlich AND Pebbles in front of goal!
Drafting is where the modern game is played and We still scrum-it round the flanks rather than go straight down the middle!
Mind You, Carlton do their drafting under the table and on the black Market and "IF" they do manage to win anything it will be absolutely worthless!
To be fair the trade was pick 3 and king for Mckee and pick 7. We got the better of the McKee/King trade but pick 3 used by the Tigers on Fiora (who knows we may have picked him if we kept it) was better than pick 7 in which we took Danny Roach who played only 1 game for us.
melliot

Post by melliot »

Disagree with a few points.

If you look at that draft 2006 it was a cracker. Even deep in the draft there are good players like Lindsay Thomas. Many of those players are too young still to hit their peak in their career. In time you'll find it will be one of the strongest drafts ever.

Hawkins was a FS rule (I believe).

In post 1999 season we had no ruck except Fraser in his first year. We traded for McKee who was a consistant solid performer for us in our good years of 2002 and 2003. So in some respects the club made the choice it had to. Would be nice to have Pavlich on our list (if we would have selected him at pick 3 (4?). But a young Pavlich wouldn't have help us in the GF years if we had no ruck combination and we probably wouldn't have made them in any case.

Something about "Cake and eating" comes to mind.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I believe I have heard that somewhere before.
Clemo

Post by Clemo »

The actual quote was "A good ordinary player!" ;)
Go Pies !!!!

Post by 3.14159 »

Clemo wrote:
The actual quote was "A good ordinary player!" ;)
Potatta portarta? :?
and another "Dyerism" .......
"He reaches out & tackles like a giant testicle". (Not My words Mods! even though I am para-phrasing, again!)

All this talk about Reid (who was drafted as a forward) playing down back and how well he seems to go or not go and He gets a game every weak!
Well Jack was recruited as a backman but gets dropped the mo' he doesn't score or give-off at least 2 goals per G!
This week He gets a chance to play in HIS Position! Hallejuha
It truely amazes Me the different way some players are treated!
Reid was an early pick and Jack is .... well...Jack!
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

From memory it was his arms reach up like giant testicles (Dyer meaning tentacles), and the quote about good ordinary footballer was applied to Peter Besustow
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.

Post by 3.14159 »

stui magpie wrote:^

From memory it was his arms reach up like giant testicles (Dyer meaning tentacles), and the quote about good ordinary footballer was applied to Peter Besustow
Para-phrasing. (z-) noun. free rendering or ampilcation of a passage or quote in it's sense in other words.

Post by 3.14159 »

stui magpie wrote:^

Para-phrasing. (z-) noun. free rendering or application of a passage or quote in it's sense in other words.

Peter Besustow is better remembered as ... no, can't remember or even google him.....He must've been vanishingly ordinary!

Peter Busustow? A good ordinary worm. ie, He loved playing in the dirt with the filth!
Pebbles Rocks

Ben Reid

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

I am pretty sure this guy has proven to the doubters that he is a big part of our future.
Danny Frawley said yesterday "that guy is a born backman".

Here is my take on him:

Kicking - Excellent penetration. Kicks low and hard and can hit targets outside the back 50. His clangers against Pork Puffs were slight mis-kicks that were compunded by the strong wind. Nevertheless this is a key strength.

Decision Making - Getting better. I don't think he trusts his kicking but as he builds confidence he will make better decisions. Happy to switch play and follows the MM game plan well.

Marking - One grab mark and plays pretty tall with a good vertical leap (compared to cloke/fraser who dont leave the ground)

Spoiling - Long Fletcher like arms and good judgement of ball flight.

Courage - This is perhaps his most underrated attribute. Look closely at how often he shows the courage to back into a pack or cut off a lead. He does this regularly and you cannot teach this.

As a first round pick, this guy was an outstanding selection
DaVe86

Post by DaVe86 »

He keeps getting better. I still don't think he has reached his full potential. I'd also like to see him get a go up forward on occassion to try and add another string to his bow.

Is having a great season.
There's more to life than footy.........just not much more.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

possibly our best field kick, has more penatration than dids, what can you say about this kid, just been outstanding, on a different note, watched a bit of brown in the VFL yesterday, didnt set the world on fire and wont be back anytime soon.