#20 Ben Reid

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

He has a real chance of winning the rising star provided they are impartial.
Dustin Martin would win it but he is ineligible because of a report and subsequent demerit points.
Hannebery is favorite but there is still a few weeks to go...
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Usurper

Post by Usurper »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:He has a real chance of winning the rising star provided they are impartial.
Dustin Martin would win it but he is ineligible because of a report and subsequent demerit points.
Except that he.. (all together now) ... plays for Collingwood!
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Usurper wrote:
Pebbles Rocks wrote:He has a real chance of winning the rising star provided they are impartial.
Except that he.. (all together now) ... plays for Collingwood!
Fair point......he has no chance
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

Earlier in the year i was a doubter but there has been a few games this year that he has shown his importance, and on Saturday he absolutely starred. He took some beautiful last gasp contested marks right in front of me......RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

never doubted him 8)
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

DaVe86 wrote:He keeps getting better. I still don't think he has reached his full potential. I'd also like to see him get a go up forward on occassion to try and add another string to his bow.

Is having a great season.
and realistically he won't until he's 24-25
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

compared him in previous threads to Andrew Mackie of Geelong....never panics - could even be better!

Lets hope he gets at least as many premiership medallions.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Ben Reid

Post by swoop42 »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:I am pretty sure this guy has proven to the doubters that he is a big part of our future.
Danny Frawley said yesterday "that guy is a born backman".

Here is my take on him:

Kicking - Excellent penetration. Kicks low and hard and can hit targets outside the back 50. His clangers against Pork Puffs were slight mis-kicks that were compunded by the strong wind. Nevertheless this is a key strength.

Decision Making - Getting better. I don't think he trusts his kicking but as he builds confidence he will make better decisions. Happy to switch play and follows the MM game plan well.

Marking - One grab mark and plays pretty tall with a good vertical leap (compared to cloke/fraser who dont leave the ground)

Spoiling - Long Fletcher like arms and good judgement of ball flight.

Courage - This is perhaps his most underrated attribute. Look closely at how often he shows the courage to back into a pack or cut off a lead. He does this regularly and you cannot teach this.

As a first round pick, this guy was an outstanding selection
Excellent evaluation.

His willingness to put his body on the line time and again has been the most surprising and pleasing aspect to his game this season so far.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I fail to see the relevance of that allusion. Happy to switch play and follows the MM game plan well to you too, swoop42.
E

Post by E »

David wrote:Fantastic to see another 'write-off' making his own name. Reid, Toovey, L. Brown, Swan (if we go back a few years)... if we win the flag this year, the medal presentation is going to be very satisfying indeed. :mrgreen:
Dont forget Leon Davis!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

^ good call! Even Presti, too (he was a bit of a whipping boy back in the Shaw days).
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Chopper has been excellent , its very good to know we have someone to take Presti's mantle in coming years.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

I was firmly in the Nathan Brown camp when the 2 were vying for a spot as Nath was a bit more solid than Ben,But geez he's just taken off and we would really miss his presence from now on. He's really beefed up nicely and I firmly believe he will be one of the premier backmen for years to come.
I still like Nath and I hope he can develop and take a leaf from Bens book and really cement a spot in the side.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR

Post by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR »

Ben did an outstanding job against the saints on the weekend. Read the flight of the ball & held his ground in one on one marking contests with their ruckmen [no frees against?] which really impressed me!

I still think Jolly is the recruit of the year but Ben & Luke are right up there!
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:Ben did an outstanding job against the saints on the weekend. Read the flight of the ball & held his ground in one on one marking contests with their ruckmen [no frees against?] which really impressed me!

I still think Jolly is the recruit of the year but Ben & Luke are right up there!
Reid was recruited in 2006 (but we know what you mean)