Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Two more flags before I die!
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

or a gangster (Al Capone)
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:Doesn't make it ok, needless to say! But yeah, David Bowie is just one other who comes to mind who had sex with an underage girl.
Bill Wyman
Jerry Lee Lewis

Sting wrote a song about it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

stui magpie wrote:^

David Bowie had sex with Al Capone?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:

it was a threesome. Jagger was involved. Capone was never the same.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

David wrote: No worries! I agree with a lot of what you write here, and was having a similar discussion on Facebook today about good old Roman Polanski. While I strongly believe in evaluating art and artistic oeuvres without regard for the creator's personal virtues, I also feel that we should be careful not to allow our admiration for an artist to minimise the unethical or illegal things they may have done. As you say, we too often engage in hero worship in this society and it can cloud our ability to recognise that these figures are human beings, with all the failings that entails.

Chuck Berry was a legendary rock musician, perhaps the greatest; he also seems to have been prone to committing unethical, sexually exploitative acts. We can and must accept both of these concepts at the same time. There is nothing inherently paradoxical here.
^ Sure. Some of the artists and scientists I admire most were horrible human beings. Sir Isaac Newton, for instance, was a monster. So was Richard Wagner. The work and the life should be separable, and we should be able to carry these facts in mind.

What interests me is the way that people roar about (say) Sir Tim Hunt's rather silly wittering about women in science and he is forced to resign - and yet Chuck Berry's really sinister behaviour is airbrushed out of his obituaries.

I think this is because rock'n'roll gets such a free pass because it fits so comfortably with the libertarian assumptions of the elites of our age. Like everyone else, I like the rock music I like, and I can still play Berry's defining guitar licks - but I think it is overrated as a cultural commodity, and the stars of rock'n'roll are granted licence to behave and pontificate in ways that would not be tolerated in more serious areas. Still, at least Berry did not regale me with witless opinions on politics. And unlike John Lennon, the ne plus ultra of the type, he was not truly nasty to the people who were close to him. It takes a special kind of viciousness to do that.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

David wrote:Doesn't make it ok, needless to say! But yeah, David Bowie is just one other who comes to mind who had sex with an underage girl.
No it doesn't

Bowie too huh?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

it was a threesome. Jagger was involved. Capone was never the same.
Neither was Jagger after Capone sent him a Valentine.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Cub Coda's biography from Allmusic.com includes the following:

'Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers. Quite simply, without him there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, nor a myriad others. There would be no standard "Chuck Berry guitar intro," the instrument's clarion call to get the joint rockin' in any setting. The clippety-clop rhythms of rockabilly would not have been mainstreamed into the now standard 4/4 rock & roll beat. There would be no obsessive wordplay by modern-day tunesmiths; in fact, the whole history (and artistic level) of rock & roll songwriting would have been much poorer without him. Like Brian Wilson said, he wrote "all of the great songs and came up with all the rock & roll beats." Those who do not claim him as a seminal influence or profess a liking for his music and showmanship show their ignorance of rock's development as well as his place as the music's first great creator. Elvis may have fueled rock & roll's imagery, but Chuck Berry was its heartbeat and original mindset.

... for all of his off-stage exploits and seemingly ongoing troubles with the law, Chuck Berry remains the epitome of rock & roll, and his music will endure long after his private escapades have faded from memory. Because when it comes down to his music, perhaps John Lennon said it best, "If you were going to give rock & roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." '

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/chuck-be ... /biography
Larabee
Has liked: 7 times

Vale Drew Morphett

Post by Larabee »

President - Coffs Harbour Collingwood Supporters Assoc. Inc.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Very sad, taken far too soon, great commentator. Vale.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Captain_MyCaptain

Post by Captain_MyCaptain »

A really good bloke. Sad loss to us all.
The window is open my friend!
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Fkn hell, only 69 too!

Just like that, he wasn't even ill.

RIP Drew.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

(Cross-posted from the VPT thread.)

Oh no! The best caller in the game - not just footy, practically any game. Drew was the master.

Drew dreamed about calling sport even as a little boy growing up in Sydney. It was all he ever wanted to do. One day, still only in his teens, he was one of a small group of youngsters who managed to get an interview with the ABC Sport Department, which took place at a Sydney footy ground some hours before the game. (Being Sydney, this was Rugby League of course.)

The interview went OK. Rather to their surprise, the boys were then invited to call a few minutes each of the no-account seconds game that happened to be on. Obviously, no-one knew any of the players or their numbers. that was OK, said the senior man, you haven't had a chance to study, just make something up or say "Number 3" or "the full-back".

When Drew's turn came along, he knew every player on both sides and called them accurately. Young Drew loved his sport and "just happened" to know every player in every team - first and seconds both - in the New South Wales Rugby League. So he ignored the instructions and called them all by name.

He got the job.

He was posted to Western Australia as a cadet, and thrown straight into calling the completely unfamiliar game of Aussie Rules. Took to it like a duck to water, and never looked back.

Even when he was right royally shafted by Tony Abbot's disgraceful "no cuts to the ABC" savage cuts and sacked, he took it in good spirit and finished his days at an inferior commercial broadcaster, never showing any trace of bitterness. He just went on calling sport in his inimitable way.

Go well Drew Morphett. Top bloke; best sport broadcaster of our generation. No-one else ever managed your unique blend of easy-going style, true-to-life accuracy, tremendous knowledge, understanding, and infectious good humour.

You will be sadly missed.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!