Farewell #28 Nathan Murphy

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

Darcy Moore Mark 2.
I really hope he can stay fit.
If he does, he's going to be a big part of our future.
His positioning and marking is awesome. Good under pressure too,
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Yeah, we knew he was fearless, but the calm gives and good decisions really caught the eye.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Like most young players he just needed a good run at it.
Jezza
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

A lot of posters were praising Murphy last week so I don't think he's going under the radar.

The main priority is to ensure he gets a good run at it and isn't disrupted by any further injuries.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Which radar? :roll:
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Just on Murphy’s comeback from injury, his transition back into the seniors was seamless. Not a scrap of ring rust to be seen and still playing his role in the last quarter. Whoever is preparing our players during their rehab deserves a pay raise. It’s inconceivable for a player to come back after nearly three months in rehab and play career best footy from day one. Oh and I wouldn’t underestimate Leppitsch role in his improvement either.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

Coincidence that we have won all three games since he has returned?

Just some interesting data.

2018 - He played two games. We won both.
2019 - Played no games
2020 - Played no games
2021 - Played in five of our six winning games.

It stacks well in his favour.
CaptainSnooze

Post by CaptainSnooze »

Murphy's performances in the last 3 games is another reminder that some supporters write players off way way too early. Still only 22 and all of a sudden looks like a rock solid AFL defender.

Great to see Will Kelly return from injury in the VFL with 18 touches and 7 marks. Hopefully he can build on this with a string of games. Like Murphy, he has the tools to make it.
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

Ahhh, finally nick's come on board. Wasn't there a thread in round one listing Murphy as one of the players to be cut at seasons end? We should go back and revists that one to see if a few on here have egg on there faces... as I kept saying at the time..yes he has had injuries..but he is 22! He has time...and give him a clear run..hopefully this is the start of a successful career.

Anyway, always been a big fan of this kid, he and I went to the same school (BGS) many years apart...but those in the know that I talked to said at the time of the 2018 draft, he was a steal at where he fell. He was touted at one stage as a top 10 pick.

Anyway onwards and upwards now
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

I believe on the night he was drafted, Derek Hine said they would have picked him at Pick 6 had Stephenson been gone.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

warburton lad wrote:I believe on the night he was drafted, Derek Hine said they would have picked him at Pick 6 had Stephenson been gone.

That is interesting Warburton lad.

He is a good height at 190cm. Funny, how worried we were about our backline a few weeks back, and while it is still not perfect. It looks a far more stable with Murphy back there supporting Moore and Howe.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

warburton lad wrote:I believe on the night he was drafted, Derek Hine said they would have picked him at Pick 6 had Stephenson been gone.
True. But every kid we draft usually comes with some sort of appraisal along these lines. So you end up taking them with a grain of salt.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

I think he's more about 192cm and he has very long arms in which to spoil. He has that ability to play on taller opponents too, while Madgen is more of a third defensive tall player. We're very lucky to have Murphy at the moment while most of our taller options are closed due to injury.
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: Murphy is quietly doing great!!!

Post by Presti35 »

E wrote:Murphy is quietly doing great!!!
Yes he is.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
piedys
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by piedys »

Loving Murph's contribution of late, really playing the Langdon role well.

However, taking Murph ahead of Naughton would have seen Hine removed with the rest of them by late 2020, or early 2021, and rightly so.

Stephenson is a Cinderalla story gone bad on so many levels, to state the obvious.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever