What are you listening to right now?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

stui magpie wrote:Some GnR

Back in the day I preferred Bon Jovi to GnR. I still like the Bon but when you go back and listen, Guns n Roses did some damn fine work. Perfect mesh of some serious talent, utterly unstable and destined to fall apart but while they were together, damn.

If there was a better band that started in the 80's, I don't know who it was.
There's only one band that could follow GnR on stage. Rose Tattoo. With the Rolling Stones circa 1969 there's your trinity. Pre 1980 AC/DC included for good measure. Just about everybody else is really just pretending.

As they say, nice boys don't play rock n roll :wink:

MM
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Shame that Pete Wells isn't around anymore.
kill for collingwood!
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Mountains Magpie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Some GnR

Back in the day I preferred Bon Jovi to GnR. I still like the Bon but when you go back and listen, Guns n Roses did some damn fine work. Perfect mesh of some serious talent, utterly unstable and destined to fall apart but while they were together, damn.

If there was a better band that started in the 80's, I don't know who it was.
There's only one band that could follow GnR on stage. Rose Tattoo. With the Rolling Stones circa 1969 there's your trinity. Pre 1980 AC/DC included for good measure. Just about everybody else is really just pretending.

As they say, nice boys don't play rock n roll :wink:

MM
I'm with you. I'm happy to put Metallica into the conversation as P4S suggests (dunno about DAAS though :? )

Airbourne doesn't get the airplay in Aus but they're pretty damn good too, albeit in the next bracket down.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

John Hammond (junior). His father was highly influential in a lot of musical careers & he was responsible in large measure in (re)introducing blues & delta blues & of Robert Johnson to a much wider audience.

His first son John is a fine blues singer / guitarist / musician. Saw him live at the former Continental cafe in Prahran some moons ago.

Listening to his 1992 CD: "Got love if you want it" produced by JJ Cale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnEp6og ... Zy2ngI2szs
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Waves crashing onto Waikiki beach ...... Heaven sent
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
piedys
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by piedys »

think positive wrote:Waves crashing onto Waikiki beach ...... Heaven sent
Ah, the serenity!
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

piedys wrote:
think positive wrote:Waves crashing onto Waikiki beach ...... Heaven sent
Ah, the serenity!
It shore beats the 2016 finals series!

Thanks bucks!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

The incredible Jimmy Smith

From "The best of Jimmy Smith" Vinyl LP 1965 that I've somehow got in my collection

"Ive got my mojo workin' "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBFmFygqllc
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Who told you that?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Holy Wars. Forgetting about whether you do or don't like the music (I do), is the production on Rust in Peace the best sound ever achieved by a recording engineer in the history of properly-loud music? It's so immediate - it's like the band has set up its equipment on the bridge of your nose....
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Now it's "Marsha's Mood" from John Mayall's The Blues Alone. If you like blues and you haven't heard this one, you should get a copy. It was originally released as a mid-price album in 1967. Mayall was probably a little tired of being in the shadows of his succession of famous guitarists (Clapton, Pete Green and Mick Taylor), so he went into the studio and made an album on which he played and sang everything (6 and 9 string guitars, slide, bass, piano, organ, celeste and his trade-Mark harmonica), apart from some drums on a few tracks. It's a beautiful record that still sounds as fresh and engaging as it did when I first heard it nearly 50 years ago. "Broken Wings" is probably the stand out track from an extraordinary collection but I always rather admired the class of his "Sonny Boy Blow" - although it was a tribute to Sonny Boy Williamson (Mayall's harmonica hero), there is accompanying harmonica but it is mostly a jangle-piano journey.

Just amazing stuff. Twelve wonderful songs, all - believe it or not - recorded on the one day - 1 May 1967. I wish I'd seen that.
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

Pies4shaw wrote:Holy Wars. Forgetting about whether you do or don't like the music (I do), is the production on Rust in Peace the best sound ever achieved by a recording engineer in the history of properly-loud music? It's so immediate - it's like the band has set up its equipment on the bridge of your nose....
Great song.

Another favourite of mine from Megadeath is Peace Sells.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Just shared that with my nephew, who enjoys playing that kind of stuff.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
watt price tully

Paco de Lucia, Al Di Meola & John McLaughlin: Mediterranean Sundance - a De Meola special. Took my brother to them many years ago in Melbourne. Lyrics are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADwfyxpriAM
Last edited by watt price tully on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.