Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote: Totally useless. There is a well-established doctrine (unfortunately I can't remember the name of it) allowing a true believer to break the normal rules in order to achieve a higher purpose.

Jesuits have a similar doctrine, I think.
Al-taqiyya?
Not a very Jesuit name 😉
No,LOL, it's the/a name of the muslim doctrine Tannin was referring to
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Mugwump wrote:As an aside, Theresa May is now in front of Downing Street saying "there is too much tolerance of extremism in this country". Given that she has been the Home Secretary for the last seven years, and Prime Minister for the last nine months, it takes quite some chutzpah to say that !
England has taken in a lot of migrants over the years. Like Australia, my perception is it's a fairly tolerant country that is happy to allow freedom of religion and equality for all in the eyes of the law.

I agree with a number of your points in the earlier post, one of the big ones for me I've said before, stop trying to change our culture to accommodate religious beliefs that don't fit with it and our laws.

A woman who refuses to remove a face covering in front of a magistrate or police officer on religious grounds is a half step from extreemism IMHO.

We need to settle on the fact that the laws of the land over rule religious beliefs, end of story.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Serious question

Can we run a marketing campaign to discourage people at risk of becoming extremist?

Start with how stupid or susceptible to being brainwashed must people be, to genuinely believe the fairy at the bottom of the garden (to use P4S term) will reward you for killing people by giving you everlasting sex and luxury in the afterlife?

Ok, so people can believe in Heaven , but generally the price is just to follow a belief system that doesn't harm anyone else, or yourself. To be living a middle class life in Western society and consciously decide that you'll go out on a murder/suicide spree without being a psychopath, clinically depressed or just plain fkn stupid is seriously next level.

People are watching videos online and being sucked into doing this. Can we do something that appeals to the ego and says, "this isn't cool, it isn't noble, you'd have to be a far quit to fall for that sales pitch?"
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Not a bad idea Stui
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:As an aside, Theresa May is now in front of Downing Street saying "there is too much tolerance of extremism in this country". Given that she has been the Home Secretary for the last seven years, and Prime Minister for the last nine months, it takes quite some chutzpah to say that !
England has taken in a lot of migrants over the years. Like Australia, my perception is it's a fairly tolerant country that is happy to allow freedom of religion and equality for all in the eyes of the law.

I agree with a number of your points in the earlier post, one of the big ones for me I've said before, stop trying to change our culture to accommodate religious beliefs that don't fit with it and our laws.

A woman who refuses to remove a face covering in front of a magistrate or police officer on religious grounds is a half step from extreemism IMHO.

We need to settle on the fact that the laws of the land over rule religious beliefs, end of story.
Yup 100%
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

stui magpie wrote:Serious question

Can we run a marketing campaign to discourage people at risk of becoming extremist?

Start with how stupid or susceptible to being brainwashed must people be, to genuinely believe the fairy at the bottom of the garden (to use P4S term) will reward you for killing people by giving you everlasting sex and luxury in the afterlife?

Ok, so people can believe in Heaven , but generally the price is just to follow a belief system that doesn't harm anyone else, or yourself. To be living a middle class life in Western society and consciously decide that you'll go out on a murder/suicide spree without being a psychopath, clinically depressed or just plain fkn stupid is seriously next level.

People are watching videos online and being sucked into doing this. Can we do something that appeals to the ego and says, "this isn't cool, it isn't noble, you'd have to be a far quit to fall for that sales pitch?"
I just doubt it'd work. Marketing campaigns tend to work when a problem is widespread throughout the whole community, such as drink-driving or smoking. This is a cultish, self-referencing sect within a minority. There is a UK government "prevent" strategy which aims to provide counter insurgency information, but it tends to touch mostly those who are already law-abiding as far as I can tell.

One of the most interesting hypotheses is the intersection between Islamist violence and gang membership. Most of the human waste who do this stuff have been members of gangs and lived a life of sin ... lots of mind-altering drugs (a correlation which I find interesting in itself), drink, etc. This suggests that they are psychologically weak, and susceptible to doing anything to belong and be validated by a macho collective. Pushing very, very hard into street gangs in Muslim areas is a promising strategy. The hand-wringers will then doubtless complain that we are targeting Muslim youth, and start nourishing grievances aplenty, but they must be ignored or argued /laughed out of the room. We really could do with mainstream right-wing comics, as laughter is the best kind of propaganda, as the Left have long known. Given that the Left is now more or less the establishment, there is a lot to poke fun at.

If I were running the government (and there is not much chance of that given my rather unorthodox views) I would be running advertisements encouraging assimilation of the whole community, as I think that is where mass marketing works best. I would also be ensuring a deep familiarity with the landmarks of British history which underpin British tolerance and liberty. These are not widely understood even by white British people today, and it is part of the reason we are now so culturally deranged.

The English Bill of Rights of 1689 is perhaps the single most important document in world political history. it is a large part of the foundation for the US consitutution, and the foundation of the right of free speech, individual liberty and parliamentary sovereignty across the Commonwealth. We should ensure that everyone who lives under the protection of the Crown and the state understands just how bloody lucky they are, and why. That, by the way, includes Australia, which shares that precious common heritage which underpins so many of the Rights and liberties we all take for granted, but which are not part of nature.
Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Two more flags before I die!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Agree with most of that, but traditional marketing is one thing, targeted social media marketing is another.

Social media is where you'll get the impact these days.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

stui magpie wrote:Agree with most of that, but traditional marketing is one thing, targeted social media marketing is another.

Social media is where you'll get the impact these days.
Oh, I don't deny that it is worth trying, and maybe it is possible to drive th m through positive Islamic sites, but social media is very elective. Still, though I have my doubts, it is certainly one tentacle of a strategy, and worth giving it a go.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Terrorism hits Melbourne.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Wokko wrote:Terrorism hits Melbourne.
The Brighton incident? maybe.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

stui magpie wrote:
Doubtful, but let's have the data first.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Doubtful, but let's have the data first.
Doubtful my arse.

A phone call was made to 7 News Melbourne saying: "This is for IS."

According to the Australian Herald Sun, the gunman is known to counter-terrorism police

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/813 ... ton-terror
Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

I heard it on 7 news earlier, i't also reported in the Aged.

The Police have apparently confirmed that the number that made that call was the gunmans.

Despite all that, it doesn't pass the sniff test of a terrorist attack for mine. I'll wait for more info.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ doesn't seem to fit the MO, but let's see more. Any attention-seeker can invoke IS, and every attention-seeker will, Atm
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

It doesn't really matter what label you give it or what this clown shouted on the 'phone, he's just a murderer.