Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Brodee Grundee (nick named greedee) is now a Dee, he’s the opposition & I feel if he REALLY, REALLY wanted to be a Pie for life (as he stated) he would’ve taken a pay cut, similar to the GEEL players.

Earning all that money & sitting on the side lines since April, has he no conscience or shame?
Apparently not!

Stuff him!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

stui magpie wrote:Interesting what Wright says in his interview immediately after the trade.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 5565102001

from 50 second mark, he's asked about the trade, said it was instigated by the club and it's taken 12 months to get to this point.

Now allowing for some hyperbole, that still sounds to me like his papers were stamped soon after Fly arrived and well before he went down injured.
Absolutely. And it makes a complete mockery of the claims that it was Grundy and his management that were pushing the agenda. I happen to think it's the right move and would be surprised if the Demons get more than 50 odd games out of him. I still don't get the need to make him out to be the villain in all this though. The guy never gave less than everything across 180 odd games for the club and deserves absolute respect for it. We've now chosen to go in a different direction and that's fine too. Best of luck for the future, just not against us. As for Henry...not so much :x
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

ANNODAM wrote:Brodee Grundee (nick named greedee) is now a Dee, he’s the opposition & I feel if he REALLY, REALLY wanted to be a Pie for life (as he stated) he would’ve taken a pay cut, similar to the GEEL players.

Earning all that money & sitting on the side lines since April, has he no conscience or shame?
Apparently not!

Stuff him!

Yep, Greedy BG took a pay cut with the Toffy Deeeees, but NOT with us, so go figure that one out, damned if I can. :? :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

stui magpie wrote:Interesting what Wright says in his interview immediately after the trade.

from 50 second mark, he's asked about the trade, said it was instigated by the club and it's taken 12 months to get to this point.

Now allowing for some hyperbole, that still sounds to me like his papers were stamped soon after Fly arrived and well before he went down injured.
Frank from Wrighty. So, it was a very early call, which was in McCrae and Wright's right having a distinct plan, cap strategy and philosophy in mind. I am actually happy to see them have such a clear approach given their nous and experience.

These things happen in life. It was very ugly, but again that's not their fault, and nor is it Brody's fault for making the most of a very short career. Let it be, folks, without the childishness.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

nomadjack wrote: I still don't get the need to make him out to be the villain in all this though. The guy never gave less than everything across 180 odd games for the club and deserves absolute respect for it. We've now chosen to go in a different direction and that's fine too. Best of luck for the future, just not against us. As for Henry...not so much :x
Agree 100%. Rationalising the situation is one thing, trying to make Grundy into a pantomime villian for getting paid what he asked for is just silly.

One administration paid him what he asked for, the next thought it was too much and took action to go in a different direction. If someone is dumb enough to pay you more than you're worth, that's not your fault.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

stui magpie wrote:
nomadjack wrote: I still don't get the need to make him out to be the villain in all this though. The guy never gave less than everything across 180 odd games for the club and deserves absolute respect for it. We've now chosen to go in a different direction and that's fine too. Best of luck for the future, just not against us. As for Henry...not so much :x
Agree 100%. Rationalising the situation is one thing, trying to make Grundy into a pantomime villian for getting paid what he asked for is just silly.

One administration paid him what he asked for, the next thought it was too much and took action to go in a different direction. If someone is dumb enough to pay you more than you're worth, that's not your fault.
Well actually you can paint him to be a pantomime villain. In a salary cap environment insisting on being paid maximum dollar does 1 thing to the team environment, it reduces the chance of a premiership as that just means there is less for everyone else.

I was always a massive Grundy fan but I was disappointed in his actions in his contract negotiations
stui magpie
Has liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

MAY-Z wrote:
Well actually you can paint him to be a pantomime villain. In a salary cap environment insisting on being paid maximum dollar does 1 thing to the team environment, it reduces the chance of a premiership as that just means there is less for everyone else.

I was always a massive Grundy fan but I was disappointed in his actions in his contract negotiations
If you want to paint him as a pantomime villain, that's up to you. I maintain I think it's silly but that's just my opinion and you have a different one. Fair call, play on.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

nomadjack wrote:

Absolutely. And it makes a complete mockery of the claims that it was Grundy and his management that were pushing the agenda. I happen to think it's the right move and would be surprised if the Demons get more than 50 odd games out of him. I still don't get the need to make him out to be the villain in all this though. The guy never gave less than everything across 180 odd games for the club and deserves absolute respect for it. We've now chosen to go in a different direction and that's fine too. Best of luck for the future, just not against us. As for Henry...not so much :x
Agree NJ. The vitriol is incomprehensible, and vile to me. Brodie deserves absolute respect.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I have it on authority that I completely trust from inside the Club that Grundy DID NOT take a pay cut to join Melbourne.

We are paying some of his salary, so they are not paying the same as we did, but he DID NOT take a cut.

He refused to take a cut here, and he refused to take a cut at Melbourne.

The negotiation was along the lines of the more of the salary we paid, the higher the pick we would get from the Dees.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

He's a false prophet. Overpaid.
Buon Giorno
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

He's a demon now. I've forgotten his name. Move on folks.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

He is not a person who tells the truth. Initially all we heard was that he wanted to return to Adelaide because he was very homesick. This aspect was discussed for a while on Nick’s. Then hey presto, he forgot all about his awful homesickness when he signed the million dollar contract.
Players in the past have been known to have agreed to pay cuts to help their club stay strong and within the salary cap. Geelong is a recent example. But no, not for Grundy. He was within his rights to say no but some could argue that he was a bit selfish, unlike some Cats. To each their own and we know that Grundy is his own man, albeit a weird one. So Collingwood shed their excess money at the cost of their main ruckman. We move on towards another successful season that is better than the last. Grundy can spend time counting his money while tapping the ball at his feet.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:I have it on authority that I completely trust from inside the Club that Grundy DID NOT take a pay cut to join Melbourne.

We are paying some of his salary, so they are not paying the same as we did, but he DID NOT take a cut.

He refused to take a cut here, and he refused to take a cut at Melbourne.

The negotiation was along the lines of the more of the salary we paid, the higher the pick we would get from the Dees.
This is 100% true, as is the fact he was not open to new ideas from the coaches. As some have mentioned, if its been 12 months in the making than Fly got the correct impression very early on.

No one else wanted him but the Dees, no one even inquired. Thats not wage related
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I get why this has happened but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow :(
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
npalm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

lazzadesilva wrote:He is not a person who tells the truth. Initially all we heard was that he wanted to return to Adelaide because he was very homesick. This aspect was discussed for a while on Nick’s. Then hey presto, he forgot all about his awful homesickness when he signed the million dollar contract.
You're calling him a liar? That's completely unfair, Laz. As supporters we are not privy to the actual conversations that take place within the club. On past experience, we do know that we can't rely on rumour and social media (including Nick's) gossip.
We don't know what he's said but we do know that he has done. And that is given great service to the club. 180 games including two Copeland trophies.

I wish he had not insisted on market rates when he signed his last contract but so be it. That was his choice and a valid one. I suspect none of us here have ever been given such a choice so can't really say what we would have done in the same position.
Side by side.