Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

K wrote:
Damien wrote:He seems to be in the mould of Clarkson and Hardwick which has to be a good thing.
How is he like Hardwick? Has he had an affair with a club staffer yet? Or whinged about Marvel Stadium or the AFL or the umpires? Or banned an entire radio station ('cos he didn't like an article written about the affair with the club staffer)?

:shock:[/quote

If he turns out results half as good as either of them I’ll be happy
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

K wrote:
Damien wrote:He seems to be in the mould of Clarkson and Hardwick which has to be a good thing.
How is he like Hardwick? Has he had an affair with a club staffer yet? Or whinged about Marvel Stadium or the AFL or the umpires? Or banned an entire radio station ('cos he didn't like an article written about the affair with the club staffer)?

:shock:
If he turns out results half as good as either of them I’ll be happy
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

I don't know anything about the new coach but I am glad he is not a high profile character.
Had enough of those.
BazBoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BazBoy »

Yes a club who shall remain nameless sacked a coach and fished for big name replacement
All they got was a big nothing

We on the other hand went about it in a very professional and thorough process and got the best available low profile but well credentialed man
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Magpie Russ wrote:
BazBoy wrote:And Dane Beams to along with Sidey
Updated thanks!
As much as I want to rise up the ladder. as fast as we can.. yeah. Need some luck and/or early draft picks.
I’d be adding Begg and Johnson.
I think Begg in particular will be a player
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
BazBoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BazBoy »

Now I’m not completely sold on project players (Irish or the odd Texan) I am interested in Senegal’s Bassirou Faye
Untried and maybe not in Craig’s first season but he is on the list to look at
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

[quote="Lazza"]My to be wife and I announced our intention to get married before we were even formally engaged
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

It's easy to find fault in anything if that's what you want.

Both parties felt totally comfortable with the arrangement, and maybe there was an agreement signed to the effect that if all conditions were met, the contract would be formalised.

but I am presuming that

What I do know is that all other contenders were told they didnt get the gig, so the only one left in contention was he.

So, we could have delayed the announcement and have it all play out in the newspapers, in which case posters would be calling it a circus.

So for those happy posters, it's either a circus or unprofessional.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:It's easy to find fault in anything if that's what you want.

Both parties felt totally comfortable with the arrangement, and maybe there was an agreement signed to the effect that if all conditions were met, the contract would be formalised.

but I am presuming that

What I do know is that all other contenders were told they didnt get the gig, so the only one left in contention was he.

So, we could have delayed the announcement and have it all play out in the newspapers, in which case posters would be calling it a circus.

So for those happy posters, it's either a circus or unprofessional.
True but that is life in a free speech society where everyone is convinced that their opinion is right. Maybe he is right along with many others who think they are but I stand by what I said. You can’t separate human issues like trust between personal and public domains, otherwise businesses without pillars of trust would be a shambles, akin to personal life issues without trust. I’m extremely happy that Collingwood and McRae were confident enough to speak to the fans before the t’s were crossed. They had their priorities right.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

lol. You won't be happy about it in the unlikely event that it all falls over, any more than you would be about selling your house at auction then the buyer says sorry I don't have any money after everyone else has moved on

It is a perfectly reasonable expectation that people sign a contract for their new job prior to any official announcement, same as you don't quit your old job until you have the new offer in writing. It doesn't undermine trust to be professional in business dealings, it builds trust. Why even say you haven't signed if it's all so hunky-dory, just say it's a 3 year deal and move on

We have just had probably our worst off-field 12 months in the entire history of the club, so excuse me if I want to see things done properly
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I didn't mean to offend..dammit, I don't want to play Policeman.

Im just fed up with reading a constant twist of criticism with everything related to Collingwood management …at every turn.

'At every turn' is probably the issue I had.

They just made a great decision to announce it when they did, following a process which was state-of-the-art professional.

The very management who are constantly denigrated, were the ones who defined the brief, which resulted in a candidate which IMO is as good as I could wish for.

So, I have no issues at all, especially it seems McKrae was already in 100% .Had spoken to players, gave them his expectations. He had familiarised himself with some details such as Cox going OS con Friday etc etc

Barring death, I don't see how he would morally backtrack at this point. Besides, it's a moot point.

Let's hope it all clicks, and we have the next Alan Jeans.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

Valid criticism is nothing to shy away from, and one can applaud the process which identified and appointed McRae as well as comment on the details and what perhaps could have been done better

I'm quite sure it is a moot point and I have no real doubt that terms will be agreed upon and he will sign. It's just not best practice, which is what we as an organisation should be striving for

I gave the example earlier of doing a handshake deal with Footscray over how much of Treloar's salary we would pay. We all know how that worked out for us
Jezza
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

piedys wrote:Superb work Jezza! :P
Love your sense of humour, Dyso :lol:
daics aka the ruckman wrote:Thanks for all the info Nicksters.
And to Jezza for the interview transcript and to Piedys for the humorous version - a good laugh.
I think our new coach sounds great.
I am a little excited about next season now.
Cheers. Very excited for next season as well.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

The problem with Buckley’s tenure is that he was so fixed on his own team and what his team can do that he never really cared too much about negating the opposition’s strengths or match winners. Hence why he rarely tagged opposition players (apart from Pig occasionally on Selwood). Yet when teams play us, they tag Steele, they pit two ruckman up against Grundy, etc. It reeked of stubbornness and ultimately cost us a flag in 2018, and possibly a HF berth in 2019.

Time will tell, but at least McRae was a small forward, so knows what makes a forward line tick (and front and centre anyone? Hello???). He was also very skilled, and will no doubt not tolerate shit skills, something Buckley seemed to value less than blue collar types who have a ‘red hot go’.

I’m rambling, but it’s a solid appointment. Experience, no bright lights, little fanfare, just a common goal: win. That’s all we want. We might still be ‘the biggest’ (well, Richmond I guess are now), but we’re most definitely not ‘the best’. And that’s all I care about.
Est. 2002
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Let's hope it all clicks, and we have the next Alan Jeans.[/quote]

You mean the arsehole who ordered a junior copper to belt John Greening and probably cost us 3 flags.

I would hope our coaches have more moral values than that mongrel.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.