Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

I think Grundy going back home to South Australia is a possibility.

Port lack ruck depth, so I could see him going there if the price was right for Melbourne.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

^^ Will that mean both Collingwood and Melbourne would be paying part of his salary? Surely that be an AFL first.

Good luck to his tax agent, they will definitely earn that money.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

our deal was with melbourne, we shouldnt have to
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
bally12

Post by bally12 »

We have Eddie and Bucks to thank for giving in to Grundy's extortion campaign to get himself a preposterously overvalued contract.
He's well aware that it's a team game and the salary cap dictates that whatever extra you glean, the less you leave for your teammates. To negotiate the highest slice of the pie, you better be sure in yourself that you are in fact the most valuable player in your team.
Now against that backdrop consider the actual reality that Grundy can't mark, can't kick, can't handball, can't run, and for the life of him cant tap-out to advantage. The delusion that he was any good was fuelled by the media blinded by the supercoach points he'd accumulate by tapping the ball to himself, and largely Buck's inability to assess his real value. Or was it just...we'll look after you Brodes wink wink..you are after all the spirit and soul of the place, as Bucks would remind us time and again..
The upshot ? As a club we royally screwed up with his contract but it wouldn't have come about if Grundy wasn't a selfish individual, and had not put himself ahead of the club. As for his footballing fortunes, you reap what you sow. I for one have no sympathy for him.
I'm just glad the new administration made the right decision to offload him, and make him another club's problem.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

So the naive Deeeees want to make Grumpy Grundy a forward , its ludicrous, as Matty Lloyd said, and all experts, he aint no forward, never was, his goal tally is actually pathetic, as Cornes alluded too. Word on the street is he may be traded to the Saints, in a three way deal with us, so we dont have to pay part of his salary anymore, this was mooted on the footy show too. The cocky Deees thought they had it made with him as tag team with Gawn, but it didnt work out very welll at all. Karma is a right bitch at times, hey Goodwin, you arrogant turd, up yours pal .
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Piesnchess wrote:So the naive Deeeees want to make Grumpy Grundy a forward , its ludicrous, as Matty Lloyd said, and all experts, he aint no forward, never was, his goal tally is actually pathetic, as Cornes alluded too. Word on the street is he may be traded to the Saints, in a three way deal with us, so we dont have to pay part of his salary anymore, this was mooted on the footy show too. The cocky Deees thought they had it made with him as tag team with Gawn, but it didnt work out very welll at all. Karma is a right bitch at times, hey Goodwin, you arrogant turd, up yours pal .
All Goodwin had to do was phone up anybody at Collingwood, who would have told him you can't play both Gawn and Grundy out of the center. Neither have any forward capability. Both need to play the majority of their time out of the center. Cameron and Cox compliment each other because both have forward craft. With Grundy he can't jump either, so how does Goodwin expect Grundy to jump for marks in the forward line? Trade to St Kilda makes sense. Better still Port Adelaide should make a play for him next year. Wherever he goes, that should end the wage subsidy Collingwood has to pay him.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Piesnchess wrote:So the naive Deeeees want to make Grumpy Grundy a forward , its ludicrous, as Matty Lloyd said, and all experts, he aint no forward, never was, his goal tally is actually pathetic, as Cornes alluded too. Word on the street is he may be traded to the Saints, in a three way deal with us, so we dont have to pay part of his salary anymore, this was mooted on the footy show too. The cocky Deees thought they had it made with him as tag team with Gawn, but it didnt work out very welll at all. Karma is a right bitch at times, hey Goodwin, you arrogant turd, up yours pal .
Being traded to the Aints is a sad end for anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if he looks for a trade back to South Australia instead.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Collingwood will have to continue to pay for what we agreed of Grundy's contract with Melbourne despite what Melbourne do with Grundy over the next 4 years.
I'd love to know exactly what Collingwood is committed to pay for Trelor for the next 2 years and Grundy for the remaining 4 years of his contract. I did hear something that indicated the amount of Collingwood was paying for Grundy over the 5 years when he went to Melbourne was $400K over the 4 years, but other reports have Collingwood paying $200K per year for each of Grundy's 5 year contract and $300K for each year of Trelor's time at Footscray. I also heard Hawthorn was still paying Tom Mitchell $250K per annum to play for Collingwood for his 3 year deal with us.

Can anyone confirm the details of this disturbing trend of paying ex-players to play for our opposition?

Hopefully Graham Wright has a better control over the salary cap to avoid payment of players to play against us and to avoid the requirement to off load quality players to meet salary cap restrictions. Clubs who win premierships tend to have a culture within their playing group to take a bit less than their open market value to ensure the total group has sufficient talent in it to win the premiership.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Hope you're wrong. It's bad enough we have to pay Melbourne part of Grundy's salary. Why should we have to pay a second party in St Kilda if Melbourne chooses to clear Grundy to St Kilda?
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Boot wrote: Hopefully Graham Wright has a better control over the salary cap to avoid payment of players to play against us and to avoid the requirement to off load quality players to meet salary cap restrictions. Clubs who win premierships tend to have a culture within their playing group to take a bit less than their open market value to ensure the total group has sufficient talent in it to win the premiership.
You are correct in all your comments but the fact is that this process is a short term one that is a means to an end. Pretty certain that the future vision for Collingwood will not include any such deals once these payments are completed. Sometimes you have to pay for making mistakes but you learn from them, move on and ensure that there is no repeat. I tend to look forward and get excited at our current path instead of looking back and lamenting on bad deals and decisions. Like many others have said, I have total faith in the current administration to make the right decisions as much as possible. All clubs take calculated risks that in hindsight might be wrong but that’s football. As long as they minimise the mistakes, bad decisions and bad deals, I’m happy.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Jezza wrote:I think Grundy going back home to South Australia is a possibility.

Port lack ruck depth, so I could see him going there if the price was right for Melbourne.
Would be so typical after he refused to leave Melbourne when we could have got such a better deal...

But did :lol: @ Melbourne thinking he can become a forward. If he had any forward ability whatsoever then he may not have been dumped from the Pies.

As for the contract, if what's been reported is true. we didn't pay anywhere near 250k p.a and its all paid off this year. So not sure if we are paying 90% of his wage this year to play VFL :lol: and Melbourne picks up the full million the next 4 years or if he's getting paid 1.75 million this year to play VFL...
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

yes please!!!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Latest rumour doing the rounds is, deep breath, he may well come back home to us. ! This is funnier than the Marx brothers.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Piesnchess wrote:Latest rumour doing the rounds is, deep breath, he may well come back home to us. ! This is funnier than the Marx brothers.
I don't hate that idea... I don't know that it's a good idea, but I don't hate it either...
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Latest rumour doing the rounds is, deep breath, he may well come back home to us. ! This is funnier than the Marx brothers.
I don't hate that idea... I don't know that it's a good idea, but I don't hate it either...

Hmmmm... not sure, but if we can win the Premiership, I have a hunch that Mason Cox may well decide to call it a day and retire. Like his eyes and all that. So, to get Grundy back would not be all bad, I guess, as there would be a spot for him. Or maybe we should look at this De Koning, that seems to be a ruckman who wants a home. Just saying. :o