Wiz Fizz Cup: Pies V WC: Pre Match Discussion here thanks

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Reported on Channel 10:
Buckley fit but very unlikely to play due to little match practice. Richards to have x-rays on stress fractures but expects all clear to play on Saturday. We could have up to 6 new players.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

thats 27 that have out of 39
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

if 27 hadnt played that would mean we have 12 players with senior experience
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

The pies will field a side resembling 40% of the side that will take the field against Richmond round one.

I cant see Burns, Buckley, Fraser, Tarrant and Co. being risked, and as MM has already stated, he doesnt want to wait until rd 14 to see whether the kids can play... play them now, and let those who have the skill/hunger retain their spots for rd 1.
Beware the swooping Magpie.
Magpie_Dan

Post by Magpie_Dan »

I dont even reckon Kinnear is good enough to play in the introclub match littleown the Wizard Cup lmao!
PAUL MEDHURST'S #1 FAN
NATHAN BUCKLEY- 280 Games 284 Goals
Bucks You Are THE KING

AT COLLINGWOOD, YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
magpies are 2 good

Post by magpies are 2 good »

i would be very surprised if kinnear gets a game this year (afta last year's grand final). i would say that he has a lot 2 prove this year and he if doesnt it could b his last year.

but 4 the game against west coast put c. cloke in and see what he can do and try richards as well. i heard buckley is 50-50 of playing in the match coz of his knee
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Today's News /17-2-04

Magpies may miss star pair
February 16, 2004
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 11,00.html

Coach challenges young Pies
Damian Barrett
17feb04
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common ... 22,00.html

Underdone Buckley may miss cup opener
By Lyall Johnson
February 17, 2004
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/ ... 05067.html
ramjet21

Post by ramjet21 »

would be surprised if we dont get spanked and honestly couldnt care less if we do. think we were out first round 2002 and made the GF, then lost the final last year and still made the GF so in terms of preparation, it means little. with such a young list we should throw them all in the team v budgies this week. wouldnt even bother taking buckley, burns, fraser, presti etc etc. let the kids play and if they get flogged, so be it. with still 6 weeks before round 1 and obviously a month or more behind some clubs in pre-season, its more important to focus on the build up than wizard cup.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Couldn't care less if we don't win. Just interested in letting the young kids get out there and have a red hot go. Shame that R. Shaw aint' playing, interested to see how he goes this year after THAT day.
Would expect King, Richards, Shacks to play with maybe C. Cloke to play off the bench in a more forward role than ruck???
Looking forward to some footy action finally!
AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

I would suggest we'll be fielding a side and playing to win. MM would favour (just as last year) some good workouts before the real stuff starts, rather than having to hunt around for some match practice. As much as the Wiz Cup means little to the ultimate success it is the best preparation going around.

But Yeah! Looking forward to seeing/hearing/talking some footy.
Go Pies!
Two_Pies

Post by Two_Pies »

Play to win but ... WA is hot, Subiaco is hard, crowd will be one-sided, Pies stars are missing. So protect the players as much as possible, give the young guys a run, but don't expect the world.

What has the AFL got against playing games in Melbourne anyway? One game is scheduled for the opening round. Perth, Cairns, Darwin in summer !! What about workplace safety? Just ask anyone who ran around in the Nicks V LSD game and they will tell you about why Footy is a WINTER sport.
Let all your troubles be forgot for we are Collingwood. We'll fight it out until the end we're Collingwood. So help me Jock.
Two pies and two beers thanks!!
chalky

Post by chalky »

Collingwood always play to win. If we do happen to sneak a win, I think our next match will be in Melb, which is a bonus - no travel. So, no doubt, MM will have the boys "up" for this one. A win gives the coaching staff many more preparation options, as well as playing full competitive games on premier grounds. But, first up, baby maggies, away to wce, at subiaco. Tough assignment with full strength squad!! It'll just be enjoyable watching the youngens' have a go.
I believe if the bears win they will have to travel again anyway. Bears do not want to travel twice, have heaps of "injuries" etc, bears to lose. This should come as no surprise as Lethal has stated his reluctance to move out of Q'land pre season (as have the players)
JLC

Post by JLC »

We cant win in Perth during the home and away season......lol I would be surprised if we were good enough to win in the Pre Season in the hot conditions against a team who has had 4 weeks more prepration than us.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Joel

Post by Joel »

JLC, we did beat them over there during the pre-season comp a few years ago, so who knows.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Joel wrote:JLC, we did beat them over there during the pre-season comp a few years ago, so who knows.
Good point Joel, although that was in a year where the weagles had a shocker. We won by 2 points in my memory serves me correctly. Any-way, I don't really care if we win, lose or draw although it would be good to get off the mark on the right foot.