Post Match - Pies beat Dogs in thriller. All comments here.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

labrooy

Post by labrooy »

I thought Josh was fantastic in the ruck today. Did well around the ground too although Darcy would probably be considered the winner of their battle.

Davo's injury really soured the win for me. He looked to have the goods in the first half, moved well and held his marks. I hope it is not as serious as they say but if it is I also hope they persevere with him.

Overall I am more relieved than anything. The first half was a nightmare but the boys showed what they are capable of after half time. A repeat performance of the first quarter against the Lions will see us get belted.
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

Heard MM post match re Davo, he is out for year, reco on his 'good' knee (other one!)...MM said he will be perservered with. A place is waiting for him.
bokka

Post by bokka »

If Rocca is out next week or less than 90%, save yourself the pain, don't even tune in to the game.
If he's OK anything can happen.
No. 35

Post by No. 35 »

That was the best fight back we've had in a long time. We either win comfortably or lose easily. Great effort, pity we didn't start well. Sadly Rocca has convinced me we are gone without him, the things he does off the ball is invaluable. I'm just so glad he's ours, he makes us all stand tall.

Best;
Buckley, Clement, Wakelin, Rocca and Lokon has saved himself.
perthmagpie

Best players today

Post by perthmagpie »

From my comfy airmchair in Perth today I thought the best players were:

Buckley, Wakelin, Burns (great in second half), Taz, Rocca, Davis, Woey and Fraser. Fraser had a great second half, contested very well and showed his ability to do it all. Leon attacked the ball well and Burns cleared the ball numerous times.

Bad luck about Davo. He was leading well and he could of been our third tall option. Hopefully Richards will continue to improve and we can play Josh up forward often. Cole did some good things. We have to limit the silly turnovers or we'll be so far behind Bris next week it'll be too late. Must admit we looked like a team low on confidence gradually finding their feetm again. Can improve enormously still.

I thought Obi looked dangerous around goal but still out of touch. Dids was too quiet and Lones did some good things including defensive spoils. The main difference from las week besides the attack on the ball was the plan to move the ball fast and long to CHF and take some risks.

Overall, a good win and a move in the right direction.

Holland may be cited. Hmmm.....
Magpies love pies(Lol)
No. 35

Post by No. 35 »

Yep Tess Johnno was great, Tazza good but can everyone please get OFF Woey's back !
SS11

Post by SS11 »

Tarrant was in the best 3 for sure, all australian form.

Rocca had a good day (as did Sav, who kicked 8 for Port Melb.)

Buckley, Burns (second half), Wakes and Lonie all did well. Good to see Lonie get some form back, and dispell the richo spirits from the number 3 .
3 time Peter McKenna Award winner for leading Magpie goalkicker
All Australian 2003
No. 35

Post by No. 35 »

Ok, but he'd still get in my 22 anyday. Why would he improve by playing for Willi ? seriously? I'm not sure why.
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

Birdy wrote:Brisbane are a team of hasbeens, if we play like we did in the second half today we can stick it right up em in front of their home crowd.
Wish it was so, Voss kicked 7 goals.....not bad for a has been, hope he's too tired next week to do that, but then again, drugs, painkillers and hyperbaric chambers work wonders.

It was such a nail biting finish today for us. Cole has to go and play for Willy for a few weeks, how many times is he allowed to stuff up?

I'll say it again......Johnson has come in leaps and bounds since 2002, he must have been one of our best on ground today. His 18 possessions certainly seemed to be much more than that.
Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
magpies are 2 good

Post by magpies are 2 good »

it was a good win. our 1st half was ordinary but then to come out after half time and to play that sort of footy wow look out brisbane. but keep in mind davo wont be playing again this season because of his knee. he did play well when is was on the ground shame about his 1st kick a wobbler kick for a point but made up for it after wards when he kicked the ball to rocca for a goal.

would be intresting to see who gets picked for davo and cole should be dropped. did nixon play the game today coz i hardly saw him
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Funny you say that Mr2g, as the commentators kept going on about how wonderful Cole was playing. I wouldn't go that far, but he did a good job. Nixon played something like 15 minutes
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

I just can't beleive it with Davo. So sad to see a guiy who showed so much now do his knee again. Were all behind you Davo. More detailed report later.
STOKA35

Post by STOKA35 »

A good comeback when the bulldogs got to a 32 point lead it wasn't looking good, but to the boys credit they kept persisting and got the win.
Johnson had a great game running from defence

Woey was good except for dropping that mark at the end and getting cauaght holding the ball.

Rocca kicked four wich just gave him the honours just over Grant would'nt be suprised if he recieved a jab for his knee at half time

Obree played well he is very clever football brain

Leon played well no playing for free kicks just get the football

Burns lifted a cog after half time

Cloke what do we do with him,brown will come back this week so i guess they will keep him for that match up

The young ruckman(forgot his name) showed good signs today felt for him when he had to ruck against street(he is so tall)
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Cole took some good marks and was in the right place at the right time occasionally BUT he turned it over more often than Julian Clary at a Toga Party. In the third quarter alone he brought the dogs back into it with three absolutely stupid things that resulted in goals. After the third one Mick finally had enough and dragged him - but put him back on in the last.

Lokan showed why he was full-forward for Port Magpies reserves, adding something more to his resume with a gutsy mark and two great goals at crucial times.

Benny Johnson kept us in the game. Without him, we would have got caned. BOG for mine (and most of the others sitting around me in Q2)

Wakelin was 2nd BOG. He did everything right. Was gutsy, direct and used his brain.

Richards did some good things, couple of nice clearances. He's a keeper.

Leon i think is going to have a good year. He is bigger and today he played more wing/forward than pocket/forward. Still needs to get there when for the crumbs though.

Thought Licuria, although his disposal was mainly poor, started to find a bit of form in places.

Burns turned the game with his 2nd half clearances. Inspirational.

Rocca was good. As were Buckley and Tarrant.

O'Bree was ok in patches as was Josh. Have noticed that Josh is not going to ground as much - whereas Cole went to ground every time he went near the ball. Holland, Clemo, Lonie & Woe were ok in patches as well.

Dids had a nothing much day.

Presti had a day he will like to forget. Repeatedly beaten by Rawlings, just lucky he couldn't kick. Presti never dropped his head though, didn't even shake it - just kept at his job.

Nixon didn't get much of a go. Mick might have been giving Cole enough rope instead.

Shame about Davo, he looked the goods.

Don't really know what to say about Cloke. Not sure if Mick is helping him become more versatile or killing him off.
Get back on top.
Yobbo^LuKa

Post by Yobbo^LuKa »

Johnno was bloody good all game, unlike most others except Bucks. Good to see Burns pull off a good one after his rare shocker the week before. Hopefully its the stepping stone towards some more dominating football...Watch out Lions :S
Tradition? Pfft you call merging with Fitzroy and cheatin to 3 flags Tradition? Winning 4 flags in a row is history, which makes tradition!