What made you sad today?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Post by 1061 »

So sad to lose a pet, more so one we've had for many years even more so in this tragic situation.

Tears.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Oh that's very sad Tannin :(

As others have said at least it was quick and she had a long happy life and is now resting in a nice place with a view!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Cheers all and I appreciate the kind thoughts. I've been expecting something like this for a while now, she was quite old, and I'd been quietly dreading her getting really crook and needing to be put down in pain. Better this way. When my turn comes, I'd prefer the same: good life, quick exit.

TP: I'll probably do as you suggest; maybe with an older cat not 'coz I care about a few dollars but simply because old cats make good companions, and still get amongst the mice with the best of them. But there is no immediate hurry; the mice won't start moving in 'till they can't detect the scent of cat around the place, so a month or so should be fine. Or maybe one of the local strays will turn up and make friends with me first. That's where the first one came from: she just turned up and looked sad and timid, so I hunted around in the freezer and found a chop that was past its use-by and, little by little, she moved in and stayed for fifteen years.

Stui: you are farnarkling brilliant! I didn't know there was such a thing!
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

PS: I thought of this thread as an all-purpose, all-posters-welcome thread to match "what made me happy" and "what pisses me off" and "what did I learn". But I'm fondly hoping that it won't get too many more posts 'coz nothing else happens to make anyone here sad.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Sorry to hear about your cat. :(

Very sad indeed.

If you can rescue a beautiful cat from the RSPCA then it's a possible win-win.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Jezza
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Sorry about your cat Tannin!
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

There is no need to apologize. Oh yeah, we were talking about your cat Tannin .

Post by 3.14159 »

Sorry to hear about your cat Tannin.
Last edited by 3.14159 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Sorry for your loss Tannin. The death of a loved pet is always hard to take for those who truly care for animals.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
Neil Appleby

Post by Neil Appleby »

Sorry to hear that comrade; I feel your pain. Get a kitten when the pain subsides a little bit and grow old together.
After the epic draw comes the decisive knockout!
Collingwood rules the world again and Mick Malthouse fulfils his destiny with the twenty ten premiership and can you hear the people sing!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Learnt last night that a woman who I didn't know well but well enough to have a chat & chin wag with who is a nurse & did project work part time & would sit behind the low partition in front of our work area, killed herself. Her project work finished last year so hadn't seen her for about 3 months.

Shocking, a kick in the guts. She was lovely. She asked my work colleague last year about advice to assist a friend who was depressed & suicidal. FFS. Very sad. She was all alone.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

watt price tully wrote:Learnt last night that a woman who I didn't know well but well enough to have a chat & chin wag with who is a nurse & did project work part time & would sit behind the low partition in front of our work area, killed herself. Her project work finished last year so hadn't seen her for about 3 months.

Shocking, a kick in the guts. She was lovely. She asked my work colleague last year about advice to assist a friend who was depressed & suicidal. FFS. Very sad. She was all alone.
You know I used to think suicide was selfish, the cowards way out. Stuff has happened lately, my mums suffering for one, and now I get it.

I'm so sorry for your pain. And I'm so sorry for your friends pain. I just can't imagine, and truly hope I never find out, how tough life must be, not to want to live it. May she RIP. XXX

PEace be with you mate, thinking of you.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:Learnt last night that a woman who I didn't know well but well enough to have a chat & chin wag with who is a nurse & did project work part time & would sit behind the low partition in front of our work area, killed herself. Her project work finished last year so hadn't seen her for about 3 months.

You know I used to think suicide was selfish, the cowards way out. Stuff has happened lately, my mums suffering for one, and now I get it.

I'm so sorry for your pain. And I'm so sorry for your friends pain. I just can't imagine, and truly hope I never find out, how tough life must be, not to want to live it. May she RIP. XXX

PEace be with you mate, thinking of you.
Cheers TP. I'm OK just feel sad for her & my colleague. I work "in it" daily but it's a shock when its someone so familiar.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Firstly, sorry to hear about your cat Tannin. I must've missed this thread when it first popped up. I had a cat hit by a car and he was only about 5 years old, was the only the second time I've cried in sadness since adulthood, so my condolences.

And WPT, I've had to talk a friend down from suicide as well as deal intimately with someone who has made numerous attempts, including calling an ambulance after an attempt. I can't imagine what it's like to deal with that kind of thing all the time, and having it happen to someone even on the periphery of your life must be devastating.

I also hope this thread stays small. :cry:
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

What happened to cat hit by a car and I was about 5 years old was the the second time he or she've cried in sadness adulthood so his or her condolences?