Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Good call inxs.
Buon Giorno

Post by #26 »

I haven't seen enough of Ginnivan yet to get a clear idea of the type of player he is or will be.

Even though they're similar body types, my initial reaction is that Breust is more of a hit up medium sized forward, whereas Ginnivan is more your forward/midfield type who wins his own ball and is better at ground level.

Breust and Jack Gunston seem more alike to me.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:Perhaps you could elaborate on their similarities other than height and being forwards?

Not saying I agree with it but I have heard some criticism of Ginnivan that he draws frees by dropping his knees (from oppo fans, naturally)
His junior scouting reports had him as drawing free kicks as early as U16s. It’s a skill and it’s a good one as a deep forward because you then get your time to prepare for your shot on goal. He’s always been a natural forward and that goes back to kicking 100 goals in the U9s ( Vic country. Castlemaine, I think, where his dad was a country football legend )
I reckon he will improve dramatically under Fly because the coach was also a similar type. It’s just the way it is in footy, coaches generally gravitate to those types who played similarly to way they did. Gininivan is more your one dimensional stay at home type and doesn’t get sucked up the ground like a lot of small forwards do. His positioning in the right places is another reason why he understands forward craft better than most. Best of all, he doesn’t need much of the footy, to make a scoreboard impact.
I think Breust ( and Fly ) are much more rounded players but they all have / had very similar “ goal sense “. This kid is a real find, providing he stays focussed and continues to work hard.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

I think he kicks straight, if two free kicks a game gives you 2 goals, that is forty goals a year
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Stephen Milne ? ( another rookie pick )
Old fashioned stay at home small forward who never left the goal square. The ultimate one trick pony who finished his career with a 2 goal a game average.
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

Pies2016 wrote:Stephen Milne ? ( another rookie pick )
Old fashioned stay at home small forward who never left the goal square. The ultimate one trick pony who finished his career with a 2 goal a game average.
Good call. Jack looks like he can be a 2-3 goal a week player from 12 possessions. Hopefully he can add team play this repertoire.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Uncle Jack

Post by Uncle Jack »

BazBoy wrote:The Great One Peter Daicos was such a valuable player around goals and with 99 goals in 1990 was a huge influence on our flag win
From memory it was 97. Went into the grand final on 95 and kicked 2. Also missed a couple of games at the start of the season due to 'rough conduct' suspension.

Has any other small forward had a better season return? Maybe Lethal?
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Yes stand corrected on Daicos

Barney played 332 games at Hawks for 915 goals

That’s 2.75 goals a game

Not sure what Betts and Milne achieved

Post by #26 »

Uncle Jack wrote:
BazBoy wrote:The Great One Peter Daicos was such a valuable player around goals and with 99 goals in 1990 was a huge influence on our flag win
From memory it was 97. Went into the grand final on 95 and kicked 2. Also missed a couple of games at the start of the season due to 'rough conduct' suspension.

Has any other small forward had a better season return? Maybe Lethal?
Goal wise no. Leigh's best effort was 91 goals in a season, which was a record for a non-full forward until Daics kicked 97.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Annoying as he was, Breust was a weapon and one of those types I always thought we needed. If Ginnivan turns out nearly as good, I'll take it
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:Perhaps you could elaborate on their similarities other than height and being forwards?

Not saying I agree with it but I have heard some criticism of Ginnivan that he draws frees by dropping his knees (from oppo fans, naturally)
In the 5 games that he's played? Suspect most opposition fans wouldn't know who he is.

He's still very young, just scraping into the rookie draft age cut-off by 12 days when we picked him up in 2020 as a 17 y/o, before debuting as a 18 y/o in 2021.

Still, I digress. Comparisons to Luke Breust? Well Breust was also a Rookie Draftee, kicks the ball really well and has natural goal sense. I see similarities where like Breust, even with a handful of games at the same age, things happen when he's around the footy.

It's yet to be seen if he gets a "Breust" or "Tooves" like cheer from the outer, but it'd great for that to come back for one of our boys in one form or another.
Maybe "shhhh" as Nick 'Whisper' Daicos gets the ball.

Ginnivan made headlines as a junior when he kicked 119 goals in a season so he knows where the sticks are. If he starts going bunta in front of the big sticks, he'll be a cult hero before long. Hopefully he has Breust / Crisp like durability.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Apart from goal sense he has “crowd” sense

He has a flare at his craft
Jezza
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

A good comparison.

Both players have a natural ability to apply scoreboard pressure frequently.

Ginnivan's only five games into his career, but the signs are promising.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

Cheers Jezza. Great to have a regular 40+ year goal kicker in the side.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum