Cripps wins appeal - no suspension

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

One look at the scoreline when the hit occurred is evidence in itself I would thought.

Cripps may well not have intended to get him high but he sure intended to deliver a crunching bump to try and inspire his team.

Trouble for him is that his feet left the ground, he hit the player in the head and that player was forced out of the game with concussion.

If the AFL is fair dinkum about protecting the head and players having a duty of care if they elect to bump then delivering a 2 week suspension should be the result.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
makri

Post by makri »

Careless, high, high/Medium. Has to be at least a week. Watching it, reckon he thought he was in the contest, had eyes on the ball, and at the last instant realised he was going to be late. He braced and he collected the guy in front of him in the back of the head.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Ball player. Captain. Although his feet left the ground, one week sounds right to me.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:not much in it i think.
he had eyes for the ball
So did Maynard. He actually punched the ball 20 metres away. Unfortunately filled through and hit his head and he went off with concussion and got 2 weeks. That’s a precedent. But as some have said” No way he’s getting 2 weeks.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

"Previously under the AFL & AFLW Regulations, “strong consideration” was required to be given to the potential to cause injury in certain circumstances. Regulations have therefore been amended as follows," an AFL statement said.

The potential to cause injury must be factored into the determination of Impact; and

Notwithstanding any other provision of the AFL / AFLW Regulations, any Careless or Intentional Forceful Front-On Conduct or Rough Conduct (High Bumps) where High Contact has been made and that has the potential to cause injury will usually be classified as either Medium, High or Severe Impact (i.e. not Low Impact) even though the extent of the actual physical impact may be low (e.g. the victim player has suffered no apparent injury). This reflects the approach that currently applies to the Impact determination for strikes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sporti ... 7du1oa4grg

INJURIES
Brisbane: Ah Chee (concussion), Adams (ribs)
Carlton: Martin (calf)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Not a chance in hell the AFL will allow the Rnd 23 blockbuster go ahead without Cripps given what could be at stake for both teams.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Johnno75 wrote:Not a chance in hell the AFL will allow the Rnd 23 blockbuster go ahead without Cripps given what could be at stake for both teams.
But by the same token if we had a star player who did exactly what Cripps did it would be an automatic suspension.The AFL wouldn’t worry about how the absence of a star player for us would affect a big game,they would just suspend him as a matter of course.
Jezza
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Jezza »

Should be getting 2-3 weeks.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Re: Cripps out for Pies clash?

Post by Piesnchess »

BEAMER09 wrote:
Marvelos wrote:Has to be 2 weeks surely, thoughts?
Atleast 2 weeks unless you are the most arrogant sports organization in Australia...

They are, but he is their golden boy, weak as piss the MRP, if it was a Pies player, two weeks an nothing less, bug eyed McLauglan will issue orders, let the chosen one off, just a fine. :o :x
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Jezza wrote:Should be getting 2-3 weeks.
Of course he should be but it won’t be. Will not be surprised if he gets a fine or at worst, a week. When it suits them, they won’t take the fixtures into consideration when deciding any penalty.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Uncle Jack

Post by Uncle Jack »

Skids wrote:"Previously under the AFL & AFLW Regulations, “strong consideration” was required to be given to the potential to cause injury in certain circumstances. Regulations have therefore been amended as follows," an AFL statement said.

The potential to cause injury must be factored into the determination of Impact; and

Notwithstanding any other provision of the AFL / AFLW Regulations, any Careless or Intentional Forceful Front-On Conduct or Rough Conduct (High Bumps) where High Contact has been made and that has the potential to cause injury will usually be classified as either Medium, High or Severe Impact (i.e. not Low Impact) even though the extent of the actual physical impact may be low (e.g. the victim player has suffered no apparent injury). This reflects the approach that currently applies to the Impact determination for strikes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sporti ... 7du1oa4grg

INJURIES
Brisbane: Ah Chee (concussion), Adams (ribs)
Carlton: Martin (calf)
All I had running through my mind was Maynard's last quarter tackle! Potential to cause harm!
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

Jezza wrote:Should be getting 2-3 weeks.
Like Ryder did in April this year for this....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 4a404df56b

Krueger got a week for this...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/716186/matc ... -round-one
Last edited by Skids on Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Marvelos wrote:He chose to bump, has to be 2.
and he was well off the ground when he hit him - 2-3 is possible
I think therefore I think - I think
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

As the scum are no chance against the dreamons, Cripps will get a week, even though there is clearly precedent for 2-3 as a minimum penalty. The AFL will make excuses that he was going for the ball and bracing for impact, scum supporters will feel hard done by because they are so used to watching Judd do all sorts of illegal, dirty acts with impunity from sanctions due to being the AFL's poster boy, this has the same stink all over it!
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Return of the baldfacts

Post by Return of the baldfacts »

Jumped and made high contact causing player to be subbed out. Just because it is Cripps, does not mean they should go easy on him.

Head is sacrosanct and if you choose to bump...