Post Match. Pies win another thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

So proud of the team. Like a few others have said I also wasn’t sure we’d be able to come back like we did but was ok with that. Felt like we have another gear come finals at the ‘G hopefully in the dry. Also nothing like high pressure moments to practice for high pressure moments.

Elliott was amazing and Sidey and Pendles were vintage. Backs were great early but found it harder as the ball got camped in their forward line through 2nd and 3rd quarter. Lots of contributors. Can find a couple highlights for every player. How about that sweeping handpass from Checkers to Pendles in the last q which lead to the Elliott mark!!

Most importantly however was that I think this was a dress rehearsal. Good chance to see what works and doesn’t.

High quality game and feel like it will give us an extra edge if/when we come up against them in a big final.

Lastly I’m not really into fate and all that, but things just seem to be happening for us. The goals in the last quarter, and the little touches and calls we did/didn’t get that helped achieve the result. In fairness the stars aligned a lot last year too and that didn’t win us a flag, but it is certainly a wild ride.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Rioli gets 2 weeks
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

The saddest thing of all today is that despite trying to knock Murphy out Rioli gets an apology because apparently someone took offense to the criticism of his thuggishness. When will he apologise to us?
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Taking offense to his actions is one thing, racially vilifying him is something completely different.

We, rightfully, apologised for the Racist bullshit he copped. You can be angry at someones actions and call them out without resorting to that crap.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Racist comments are never acceptable and the idiots that make them should be ashamed of themselves.

As much as i love Fly, i don’t agree with him regarding the quality of that win.
I feel like we played at approx 75-80% whilst the Pidgeons gave it 100%.

Murphy was bloody BRILLIANT!!!
- Side By Side -
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

shawthing wrote:The saddest thing of all today is that despite trying to knock Murphy out Rioli gets an apology because apparently someone took offense to the criticism of his thuggishness. When will he apologise to us?
Probably haven’t read the room there… No excuse for racism. He could have walked over and kicked him in the head opening himself to all kinds of ridicule but still not warrant racist abuse.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

BazBoy wrote:Rioli gets 2 weeks
MRP detail:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/985749/matc ... e-cop-bans

Intentional. High. Medium impact.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Disagree, remember, Port was at home, in front of their ferals fans, they are at least a four goals better team there, easy. I feel we gave it our all, al our guys, like Tay post game was stuffed, most of our guys were, it was a very hard match, we gave it our all. Fly was spot on, and I must say, too, I have never seen a coach, ever, go around to all the Opposition players, post game, and shake their hand, especially Rioli, never seen that before. In Fly we trust.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David
Has liked: 1 time

Post by David »

shawthing wrote:The saddest thing of all today is that despite trying to knock Murphy out Rioli gets an apology because apparently someone took offense to the criticism of his thuggishness. When will he apologise to us?
The saddest thing is that people like you don’t get it.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

piedys wrote:...
Ash Johnson got dropped for kicking 3 goals last week - for the life of me I CANNOT recall that ever happening before, for any team... perhaps B.T.'s 2 goals in the final term of the 1990QF draw?
BT claims he missed out on the flag 'cos Matthews didn't want him to write his book. Dunno if that's true. When did the book (or word of it) come out?

But hard to see whose place BT would take in the GF team.

Some of Pendle's disposals in first half were Gawd-awful, but it was the wet conditions and physical pressure from Port causing those.
Yep, some uncharacteristically poor disposals.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

K wrote:
Ash Johnson got dropped for kicking 3 goals last week - for the life of me I CANNOT recall that ever happening before, for any team... perhaps B.T.'s 2 goals in the final term of the 1990QF draw?
BT claims he missed out on the flag 'cos Matthews didn't want him to write his book. Dunno if that's true. When did the book (or word of it) come out?
Bt wrote a diary of the 1990 year, it was common knowledge during he year that he was writing it, in the book he details how Tony Shaw got him by the throat up against a locker and threatened retribution if he was written about.

BT was also doing a Saturday morning breakfast shift on a radio station during 1990, he told Matthews it was pre-recorded.

By the end of the 1990 season he was playing on one leg, had the mobility of a aircraft carrier, so no surprise that he was dropped. I doubt we win 1990 if he played.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Yeah, IIRC BT got those 2 final-term goals by marking by protecting space with his huge backside. Couldn't jump any more!

And I remember Michael Christian was worried about his place in that finals series. Can't remember who the main competition for his place was, though.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I’m going to give Cox the benefit of the doubt because the weather didn’t suit him, particularly with the protective eye-ware but he needs to do more in the next week or two or Frampton may get a finals dress rehearsal. Cox has done very little in recent weeks and watching Frampton in the VFL ( in similar conditions ) he looked like a player knocking on the door.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
KenH

Post by KenH »

Got home from Adelaide today, had a absolute ball over there, what a game to see live. I said to all around me at 3/4 time that we will get the first goal in the last quarter and then game on. We were surrounded by Port supporters and we stood up with each goal we got and gave it our all!
The Collingwood chant was just magnificent as reverberated around the ground and continued well after the siren. Even on our 50 minute walk back to our accommodation it still happened sometimes by me and my crew and then by randoms in cars and one time i could hear and had to find where it was coming from and then I could see a guy yelling from a balcony about 10 floors up from across the road that we were walking. It was the one of the best weekends that I have had!
Cheers big ears
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times

Post by piffdog »

Pies2016 wrote:I’m going to give Cox the benefit of the doubt because the weather didn’t suit him, particularly with the protective eye-ware but he needs to do more in the next week or two or Frampton may get a finals dress rehearsal. Cox has done very little in recent weeks and watching Frampton in the VFL ( in similar conditions ) he looked like a player knocking on the door.
Flagged on the show on Fox just now also. Has been discussion on this board as well about Cox. Probably has played his best when playing more full time ruck, but don’t think Cameron is getting punted from that role (was great on Saturday night).

I know the weather wasn’t great, and who can forget 2018 prelim, but he’s not our best ruck and I don’t know if he’s in our best 2-3 tall forwards because he doesn’t do enough else. As a “utility” tall, Frampton probably a better all rounder. Not as tall, but probably equivalent as a second ruck and can play down back as well.

I’m not death riding Cox - a medallion would cap one of the great footy stories - but warrants discussion. Fascinating watch over the next few weeks to see how the team is put together.

Hope the list stays healthy.
Last edited by piffdog on Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...