Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Piesnchess wrote:^ Geelong has undepaid players for yrs, with the players full approval, like Hawkins, just so those players can play in Premiership sides.
That's such a myth. They simply have great ways of hiding income.
kill for collingwood!
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Truth,

Cats are cheats on and off field
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

stui magpie wrote:I do feel sorry for Grundy. He didn't want to leave Collingwood, wanted to be a Pie for life, but a change of regime saw him pushed out the door, Melbourne went all in on their pitch about him playing ruck and Gawn playing forward, then when it didn't work he got dropped cos they can't drop their captain.

Acted in good faith twice, burned twice. I wish him all the best at Port Adelaide.
Sorry Stui he paid the ultimate price for a cash grab.

Sometimes the robbery victim has a hideout gun.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Interesting, saw Grundy sitting in the MCC, on TV, sitting pathetically alone, more or less, looked mournfull, wearing a Deeees scarf. This is the player that sore loser Goodwin said, not long ago, " Now Brodie is at a club that really cares for him " Oh really, sore loser ?? Well, dickhead, then stop your whingeing and select him next week, to play on you forward line if you think your forwards miss easy goals, (same as ours too, incidentally ) Come on Goody, pick him, we dare you. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
think positive

Post by think positive »

i just cant get into this thread. Brody seemed like a nice guy, who yes, often finish last! im not sorry hes gone, he wasnt worth the money, and what we got for him has paid off in spades. But i would not boo him, and i cant wish him bad things! Go home, finish your studies, play kick to kick in adelaide,
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

think positive wrote:... Go home, finish your studies, play kick to kick in adelaide,
"Finish your studies": Yep, can do that anywhere. (Transfer credits.)
"Go home": Problem is, he wanted to stay in Vic. last year.
"Play kick to kick": History says it'll be more like "Play hit out to oppo".
K

Post by K »

K wrote:In the media:

On Footy Classified last week, Eddie claimed Grundy's phone was ringing hot. Well, tell us who, Eddie, or you're telling us nothing...

Footy Classified said Grundy's camp has told clubs "ruck only"; he'll never agree to play forward again.

The Australian says Grundy met Hinkley, Rozee and Butters this week.

Rozee and Butters can meet all they want, but... They won't know the full disaster until the **** hits the fan. In a real game. For Melbourne's star-studded mids, that came in Round 2 against Brissy. Until it's happening to you, you don't realize how atrocious Grundy's ruckwork is.

Jeremy Howe is quoted talking up Grundy as Port ruckman. Howe says Grundy was never ever going to work as a forward. (Maybe Howe thinks to himself, "Playing forward is hard even for me, and I'm a way better player than Grundy!" :wink:)
Footy Classified were all over this.

Rozee and Butters were already over for the AA. Makes sense. So only Hinkley had to fly over specially.

Howe's quote in the Hun was:

"Absolutely... I feel like when the trade went through and I know they spoke about the ruck combo or playing ruck-forward.

You ask anyone here. He was never going to be a forward. Never. Ever."

Lloyd's take: Normally it's strange to talk about an oppo player the week you're playing them... but "everyone just knows Brodie's gone".

And Hutchinson had a rad idea: :idea:

Melbourne can't re-allocate all Grundy's salary at this time. So offer to pay almost all of his salary, in return for a better offer (i.e. upgraded from the 2nd-rounder in play now).

(Cornes noted it'd have to be a different club, 'cos Port traded their picks for JHF.)
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Word from commentators, is that sooky Goofy Goodwin will be primed to pick Grundy for next weeks big Final, cos that Van Rooyhan is out suspended. The plot thickens.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
K

Post by K »

It'll be strange if he plays against Port...

But that's just business. It was business Melb. trading him in. It was business Melb. dumping him. It's business him talking to Port.
K

Post by K »

jonmac1954 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:I do feel sorry for Grundy. He didn't want to leave Collingwood, wanted to be a Pie for life, but a change of regime saw him pushed out the door, Melbourne went all in on their pitch about him playing ruck and Gawn playing forward, then when it didn't work he got dropped cos they can't drop their captain.

Acted in good faith twice, burned twice. I wish him all the best at Port Adelaide.
Sorry Stui he paid the ultimate price for a cash grab.

Sometimes the robbery victim has a hideout gun.
It's just business. And he's an adult. Folks who feel sorry for him treat him like a 5-year-old.

Caro on Footy Classified:

"I think his management made a poor decision to send him to Melbourne, but you've got to wear your own decisions. He's a grown man and he made the decision as well."

Caro's always said she reckons he shoulda taken a pay cut to stay at Collingwood. He'd be far happier, she says.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Iagree with Caro

Money doesn’t make you happy, the tears in the fancy shower taste just as salty
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Delete
Last edited by Meredith1965 on Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

think positive wrote:Iagree with Caro

True, but I’d be happier if I had a fancy shower ;-)

More seriously, this is a case of the age-old rule : there is only one thing worse than being paid less than you are worth, and it is being paid more than you are worth.

I would have a lot of sympathy for Grundy if he had just been badly advised, but in the AFL system, the team matters most, and the more you earn, the less those around you can earn. So if you are going to demand extreme compensation, you need to be sure that you are delivering extreme value in the eyes of your teammates and your employer. He did not. It’s a sad story so far.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Meredith1965 wrote:
think positive wrote:Iagree with Caro

True, but I’d be happier if I had a fancy shower ;-)

More seriously, this is a case of the age-old rule : there is only one thing worse than being paid less than you are worth, and it is being paid more than you are worth.

I would have a lot of sympathy for Grundy if he had just been badly advised, but in the AFL system, the team matters most, and the more you earn, the less those around you can earn. So if you are going to demand extreme compensation, you need to be sure that you are delivering extreme value in the eyes of your teammates and your employer. He did not. It’s a sad story so far.
This is the crux of the matter and the core of the growing problem of rogue player managers.

Greed.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

SEN reporting that Grundy won’t be going to Port. They made a football presentation to him, but he was more interested in “work-life balance”.

On $1m per annum, after being declared surplus to requirements at two clubs, I am not sure this would be the focus of a serious person and elite athlete.

I don’t wish him ill, but I am glad he is not with us any more.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/13/ ... 5vJsQe-b_k