Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I feel no ill will towards Grundy at all, but I can't stop feeling that his demise is something he brought on himself. I remember him saying a couple of times that he wasn't defined by being a footballer, that his interests were far wider than that. I understood that perfectly well, but if that's the case, then you shouldn't really hang out for a 7 yr 7 million dollar contract. If you are getting that sort of dosh then you'd better damn well make footy the main thing in your life. I obviously don't know the guy and i may be way off the mark, but he always gave me the impression of being half hearted about his footy, and not fully committed to his craft as an elite ruckman. Good on him for getting the big bucks, but his demise as a footballer, embarrassing as it may be, is on him.
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

^ I don't know about that. I always thought he bled black and white. He was very passionate about the club. I know people will say he held the club to ransom with a huge 7 year deal. Maybe not the best team thing, but you can only ask and the club obliged.
I was really hoping he sacrificed some of his pay to stay a Pie, but not to be.

On another note, I think he should be playing tonight.
Dees forward line is rubbish. I'd play Grundy rucking 70% with Gawn swapping between CHF/FF.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Melbourne sold Grundy the idea of him playing 70% Ruck and 30% forward while Gawn would play the 70% forward. It didn't work. Grundy played well enough in the Ruck but Gawn failed up forward, so they dropped Grundy and told him to learn how to be a forward.

That wasn't part of the job description.

I feel sorry for him, he's been fucvked over twice. Yeah his agent asked for and got a good contract, we had the option to say No, but the previous regime caved. Not his fault. He wanted to be a Pie for life and signed a contract to that effect, we cut him loose because the new regime didn't consider him value for money.

Now, instead of playing out his days as a Collingwood champ (even though he is really not a great tap ruckman) he's going to be a 3 club journeyman.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Pies4shaw wrote:The numpty that coaches them doesn’t have the intestinal fortitude to drop Gawn.

Q: “Is Gawn the best ruckman in the AFL?”
A: “Gawn isn’t even the best ruckman at Melbourne.”

He’s played in 3 losing finals teams in a row. He’s going for a second straight-sets exit and the quadrella.
Yikes. Gawn at least looks like he gives a shit.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Pies4shaw wrote:The numpty that coaches them doesn’t have the intestinal fortitude to drop Gawn.

He’s played in 3 losing finals teams in a row. He’s going for a second straight-sets exit and the quadrella.
Gawn has something your boyfriend will never have, a premiership. But then again, team success has never been important to Grundy so it won’t affect him where he plays as long as he’s being paid triple his worth.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

No question Gawn's a good player, but he cost them big time tonight. Reminds me a bit of Anthony Rocca in his capacity for both brilliance and frustratingly bad kicking.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Make that 4. They only have themselves to blame for not playing the actual ruckman on their list.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

eddiesmith wrote:

Gawn has something your boyfriend will never have, a premiership. But then again, team success has never been important to Grundy so it won’t affect him where he plays as long as he’s being paid triple his worth.
Does winning a premiership in perth really count?
2021 shouldn’t even be in the record books.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Melbourne can’t be blamed for Dan Andrews incompetence, 2020 is more of an *.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

One strange thing I noticed tonight was that, on quite a number of occasions, Melbourne had no nominated ruckmen at throw-ins, leaving the Carlton ruck to take it out of the air. Was it because Gawn was too far behind the play and unable to get down to the contest in time, or was he on the bench and they didn't have an organised back-up?

Either way, it seems his insistence on being the only ruckman in the team is a problem for them. And add to that at least three goals he cost them tonight (two shots from a few metres out that he missed, and another from a teammate that he inexplicably touched on the line as it was going through) and I can't help but wonder if Grundy would have gotten them over the line tonight if he'd played in his stead.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

No TV cameras panning to Grundy in crowd tonight?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

In hindsight, he may have got them home, Gawn did need help in the ruck, he could have gone forward, while Grundy rucked. Too late now, out in straight sets. Karma bus got Melb in the end, for all the Bruzza hoo hah.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Goodwin said at his press conference that Gawn had a broken big toe. he played manfully despite it, but was way off his best.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Culprit wrote:With Grundy switching to another club does the agreement paying a portion of his salary remain? The initial agreement was with Melbourne, not another club. Who can clarify?
No one knows for sure.

Best assumption is we're not off the hook. :(

"The initial agreement was with Melbourne..." Actually, I doubt it. Sure, in effect. But I reckon the actual paperwork is with Grundy. Melbourne and Grundy sign a contract for Melb. to pay him such and such. Collingwood and Grundy sign a revised contract for Coll. to pay him such and such.

Media still float the idea that Grundy may make history as the first player to be paid by 3 clubs at the same time.

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Grundy will be a Sydney swan very soon, like, we all know that the swannies just have to have a marquee player, to bring in all those fickle chardonnay swans fans, think capper, Lockett, hall, buddy. ...
He's a bit short of the Marquee status the Swans expect for the big name, and not a forward to boot!

A role player at best. and I suppose the rest of his ill advised contract split across the salary caps of three clubs, like the albatross of yore.
Yeah... In Leigh Matthews-speak, Grundy isn't Lockett's or Buddy's bootlaces.

I still cringe at Grundy calling himself a marquee player. Sheesh... Even if you are one (he's def not), would you call yourself one? :shock:

RudeBoy wrote:I feel no ill will towards Grundy at all, but I can't stop feeling that his demise is something he brought on himself. I remember him saying a couple of times that he wasn't defined by being a footballer, that his interests were far wider than that. I understood that perfectly well, but if that's the case, then you shouldn't really hang out for a 7 yr 7 million dollar contract. If you are getting that sort of dosh then you'd better damn well make footy the main thing in your life. ...
Yeah, he got ahead of himself. Not just as a footy player but as a human. It's common when you're young and stupid. Sadly, he doesn't even seem to have wide interests. (Unless making a lotta money counts as an interest.) Someone like Darcy Moore has way, way, WAY more interests than Grundy. Darcy just doesn't let 'em interfere with his footy. So what are Grundy's "interests"? Apart from making money, looks like just drinking wine. Sheesh, that's not an interest!! If that's an interest, then Nick Davis's love of eating KFC is also an interest.
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Came in here to ask about his contract, I heard somewhere that it could leave us off the hook but who knows?
Any word on when we will know what the go is?

Hopefully the week after our 16th premiership.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.