#30 Darcy Moore

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Jezza »

Pies2016 wrote:I can guarantee Moore is following the coaching panels defensive instructions because in footy, if you don’t comply, then you won’t continue to play seniors for long.
Todays result shouldn’t be about Moore. In McRaes first year, it’s about developing a sustainable game plan that takes us forward both offensively and defensively and Moore just happens to be a part of it. Moore hasn’t lost his ability but he has lost his way a bit under the new strategies. You simply can’t rebuild a clubs entire DNA and game plan in the space of 8 rounds.

Clearly we now have a game style that generates enough scoring opportunities to be competitive every week and yet you couldn’t say that 9 rounds ago. The defence will click at some point and Moore will be an important part of that but right now the defence still remains a major work in progress.
AS fly said “ we’re only eight dates into a relationship “
Good post and very reasonable summary.

He was poor today, but we're undergoing a radical shift in our style so results will be up and down for a while.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies2016 wrote:I can guarantee Moore is following the coaching panels defensive instructions because in footy, if you don’t comply, then you won’t continue to play seniors for long.
Todays result shouldn’t be about Moore. In McRaes first year, it’s about developing a sustainable game plan that takes us forward both offensively and defensively and Moore just happens to be a part of it. Moore hasn’t lost his ability but he has lost his way a bit under the new strategies. You simply can’t rebuild a clubs entire DNA and game plan in the space of 8 rounds.

Clearly we now have a game style that generates enough scoring opportunities to be competitive every week and yet you couldn’t say that 9 rounds ago. The defence will click at some point and Moore will be an important part of that but right now the defence still remains a major work in progress.
I agree, P2016. Your comments reflect exactly how i see it. Clearly not about Moore, but about how to integrate defensive strategy with the new attacking ball movement.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Two points.

1. Everyone says we r missing Dean like he is Presti. He is an untried rookie pick.

2. Moore is on a massive contract as a defender but we r excusing him as he is not able to defend, as his natural style in basically an unaccountable interceptor. Such a player shouldn't cost the earth.

Personally I believe other teams have worked him out this year after sucking us into paying overs..
Buon Giorno
glasseyevfx

Post by glasseyevfx »

I try not to be negative but I agree with above - he didn't earn his money.
He's not heavy enough to be a Mick Martin. He needs to take a good look at Dustin Fletchers game style and ask himself what he would have done.
He got toweled; hoping he learns from it.
We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

glasseyevfx wrote:I try not to be negative but I agree with above - he didn't earn his money.
He's not heavy enough to be a Mick Martin. He needs to take a good look at Dustin Fletchers game style and ask himself what he would have done.
He got toweled; hoping he learns from it.
I think he did. Second half was a huge improvement than the first half.
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Kane Cornes v Darcy Moore

Post by Harrysz »

In today's "The round so far" Kane Cornes is scathing in his critical comments regarding Darcy Moore. Kane Cornes is not well-liked on this page and no doubt some Nicksters will take pot-shots against Cornes for his comments.

Could I just ask though, before anyone takes pot-shots against Cornes please remember this: His criticisms of Moore's play yesterday were spot on.

Some of the excuses here are laughable. "Magden should've played; Roughead is injured" and "what is Leppitch doing?"

I think that Darcy Moore is in career-worst form and has been all year. This, even before he signed his new mage-contract. In the first half yesterday Darcy's opponent was BOG and was the difference between the two sides. Yes we have injuries, you can't do much about that but Darcy's dramatic loss of form is killing us. When you play on someone like Cameron, or Hawkins, or Lynch, some one-on-one defence would not go astray. Cornes is entitled to be critical of Darcy Moore, as are we.
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

saw the segment on Moore, yes Kane was correct....Moore was far too loose on him.

Moore has been below par this year, and not to make excuses for him...but I think a little slack can be cut.

Firstly, the backline is undermanned, Moore is playing effectively as the sole tall. Meaning he has little support in the air. Maybe Howe.

Secondly, Moore is back from a PCL last year, traditionally speaking players do tend to have quite years post PCL due to conditioning.

Thirdly, the game plan we are playing seems to be work on attacking first, then build the defence side of the game. We have been horribly exposed in every game this year (win or lose) to the quick turn over...to blame this on a single deffender is a bit harsh.

Lastly, Moore's strength much like McGovern at West Coast
Is as a intercept rebound deffender. He has never been a gun one on one deffender like a Andrews at Brisbane.

As I say, I am not attempting to give Moore an out, he hasn't had a great year. Neither has our entire backline
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

I don't think he played nearly as badly as some are saying. The defensive system we're playing means he wasn't actually on Lynch for a lot of the goals he kicked. One of the goals he gave up was when he seemed to have the situation under control and Sidebottom needlessly took Lynch out, other goals were kicked when other defenders were picking him up (which, again, is a system thing rather than Moore leaving him alone).
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

The big concern is that we're just giving up way too many marks inside 50 and most of these marks aren't even contested. We can't defend and attack at the same time. In the first quarter, we didn't give up any marks inside 50, but we had absolutely no run and Richmond picked us off at will. For the rest of the game, the run was much better, but we started giving up easy marks inside 50.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I think it is worth mentioning, in this context, that Lynch was playing his 201st game in his 12th season of senior AFL football and somehow managed to reach a new personal high for disposals.

He had 25 disposals (one more than his previous best), including 19 kicks (two more than his previous high). He has taken more marks than the 11 he took yesterday (albeit only 4 times in his previous 200 games) and has kicked more than 6 goals 3 times (albeit twice against hopeless Carlton teams and once in the 109-point drubbing of a COVID-ravaged West Coast last month).

So, it was a personal-record-breaking game for Lynch - but he didn't break every single one of his previous highs. In those circumstances, was this actually a great effort by Moore to keep Lynch from achieving all-career marking and goal-kicking highs?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Don’t know if this is a dumb suggestion, but I wonder if the better tactic yesterday might have been to play Madgen (who is good at keeping up with forwards, even if he gets beaten one on one) on Lynch, play Howe on Riewoldt and leave Moore stationed on a lesser forward, but able to leave and come across as a third man to impact Lynch’s marking contests?

I don’t know when we next meet a team with two power forwards, but it might be something to consider for then.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Duff Soviet Union wrote:I don't think he played nearly as badly as some are saying. The defensive system we're playing means he wasn't actually on Lynch for a lot of the goals he kicked. One of the goals he gave up was when he seemed to have the situation under control and Sidebottom needlessly took Lynch out, other goals were kicked when other defenders were picking him up (which, again, is a system thing rather than Moore leaving him alone).
Yep, I can acknowledge that the "defensive system" (whatever that is? ) may have been to blame partially for Lynch getting off the leash. However, I still believe that something is not right with Darcy - either he is having difficulties concentrating on the job or he is confused about what his role actually is.

A piece of vision from Anzac Day continues to stick in my mind. Madge was standing Stringer, who took off on a lead towards the flank. Madge basically him go, probably because Darcy was right in the zone to which Stringer was leading. I expected Darcy to intercept, yet Stringer ran straight past him, marked and goaled. My response was""WTF Darcy? Where's your head at???".

Anyway, there's always the next game and I really hope Darcy analyses why he was ineffective for much of the game, gets together with his backline team mates and collectively, they improve their system (maybe Leppitsch needs to stay away from them for a week or two and re-consider how he's coaching the backline
Last edited by PyreneesPie on Sun May 08, 2022 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

David wrote: leave Moore stationed on a lesser forward, but able to leave and come across as a third man to impact Lynch’s marking contests?
Makes absolute sense to me David
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Without sounding like a Moore apologist, with Roughead out, he’s being asked to play out of his comfort zone. Some players adapt and some don’t.
There’s a huge difference in the mindset of a player as a C H B versus a F B.
Moore is by far our tallest defender and the ask without Roughead, is to now play on the tallest and most likely deepest, key forward.
He’s obviously not comfortable and clearly looks 6s and 7s playing on the last line. Moore at CHB makes the fullbacks job so much easier, so suddenly it becomes a double whammy for Moore to play FB without any intercept quality in front of him.
Full back is a bloody tough position and it can be a lonely place when the oppo move the ball forward so quickly. Conversely, C H B has the potential to be a walk in park ( in a good team ) because you’ve always got team mates around you to give you a chop out and make you look good.
While Dean has achieved nothing in the AFL yet, his selection was astute because we desperately need a ready made replacement for Roughead, so Moore can get back to playing in front of the last line of defence.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Pies4shaw wrote:I think it is worth mentioning, in this context, that Lynch was playing his 201st game in his 12th season of senior AFL football and somehow managed to reach a new personal high for disposals.

He had 25 disposals (one more than his previous best), including 19 kicks (two more than his previous high). He has taken more marks than the 11 he took yesterday (albeit only 4 times in his previous 200 games) and has kicked more than 6 goals 3 times (albeit twice against hopeless Carlton teams and once in the 109-point drubbing of a COVID-ravaged West Coast last month).

So, it was a personal-record-breaking game for Lynch - but he didn't break every single one of his previous highs. In those circumstances, was this actually a great effort by Moore to keep Lynch from achieving all-career marking and goal-kicking highs?
Yeah it’s a good point. Look at it from this angle instead. Moore held Lynch to one goal and 6 possessions after half time. That’s a good effort on any day.

You could also look at the game differently if we had kicked 3 gettable goals in each of the second and third quarters to put more pressure on the tigers. The tigers seemed to pull away each time we got close but only after we had kicked a string of points. Could have been a different story if we had taken our chances. And if we’d taken our chances would we be so harsh on Moore’s first half performance.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark