Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Little Wonder

Post by Little Wonder »

MJ23 wrote:^ would Love Hodge. Said earlier in this thread Id have him as a preferred assistant. Him or Astbury.
Where is the thinking that Dave Astbury is being considered as a coach coming from? Is it a left field thought or a whisper from somewhere?
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

maurs64 wrote:McRae being interviewed on ABC grandstand today.
Great interview. I will post the podcast when it is uploaded.

Meanwhile The Age article is fantastic and wide ranging.

And this would be an interesting listen: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/b ... 3/13525046
Luke Ball at 18:40
"Luke Ball, part of Collingwood's coaching panel, joins the show after the club appointed Craig McRae as its next senior coach. Corbin & Ben discuss Ross Lyon's withdrawal from the Carlton coaching race and preview the week 2 Finals"
Last edited by Magpie Russ on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

One good thing about since Wright coming back to Collingwood (finally) hes the best in the business for my mind. He has wated little time to in getting the place ship shape too. He is going out there and getting the best. I know this post is about McRae. If Wright wasnt at Collingwood doubt that we ever would have got McRae and instead lumped with Harvey and Sando for another 2 years. In a short time only 2 weeks i feel we have turned the ship already and are heading in the Wright direction.
In a way Wright Wright the ship.
Its all about getting the best possible.
Now for getting the best players.
Alot more work to do a hell of alot.
Time will tell but im feeling alot more better confident this time this year then last year a hell of alot better.
Now for the new and improved board committee which is a must.
An EGM is a must for the board.
Turf Korda out now.
Members to vote on the board.
Need a new board for 2022 and beyond.
Time to get cracking.
Do it.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Seems like a very good choice from what I can gather from afar.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

He was asked on an interview about player stock at Collingwood and if more were needed
“Let’s test the soil before we plant more seeds”

And when pressed said “I won’t be playing favourites”
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

He may appear nice and chummy but don’t be fooled

I feel this bloke will be tough when required
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
npalm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

McRae on Grundy:

“I think the thing with Brodie, and I said it to him when I got here, there’s the team on one hand and then on the other hand is the glove. I think Brodie is his own unique self that I don’t think the glove is ever going to fit on the team for Brodie, he is different and we want to embrace his difference but at some stage you have got to put one of the fingers in the glove, maybe two to connect in."

???
I hope it's just me but that sounds like gibberish.
Hopefully it made sense to Grundy, otherwise they're off to a bad start.
Anyone care to interpret for me?
Side by side.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Magpie Russ wrote:
maurs64 wrote:McRae being interviewed on ABC grandstand today.
Great interview. I will post the podcast when it is uploaded.

Meanwhile The Age article is fantastic and wide ranging.

And this would be an interesting listen: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/b ... 3/13525046
Luke Ball at 18:40
"Luke Ball, part of Collingwood's coaching panel, joins the show after the club appointed Craig McRae as its next senior coach. Corbin & Ben discuss Ross Lyon's withdrawal from the Carlton coaching race and preview the week 2 Finals"
Great interview with Luke Ball. I was really interested to hear about the time he sent with Mason Cox to develop his kicking. I wonder if he can see some longer term potential in Cox that hasn't been nurtured yet?
I think therefore I think - I think
Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

npalm wrote:McRae on Grundy:

“I think the thing with Brodie, and I said it to him when I got here, there’s the team on one hand and then on the other hand is the glove. I think Brodie is his own unique self that I don’t think the glove is ever going to fit on the team for Brodie, he is different and we want to embrace his difference but at some stage you have got to put one of the fingers in the glove, maybe two to connect in."

???

I`ll give it a go .
I think what he is saying is that Grundy thinks the team revolves around him and has to play around his style and that Grundy thinks he is the centre piece where he is the focal point of all the action . The two fingers connecting may refer to Grundy having a tag team partner where there is a rover waiting for his tap from the ball up or a handball out of a pack etc etc .
So he is saying Grundy may need a partner in crime who can work well together for the better of the team as a whole. Not Grundy doing his own thing.
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years
Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

Having said that, i hope he is not going to do a Mick Malthouse and talk in riddles where you have to scratch your head and ask what the hell did he just say.
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Back bucks wrote:

???

I`ll give it a go .
I think what he is saying is that Grundy thinks the team revolves around him and has to play around his style and that Grundy thinks he is the centre piece where he is the focal point of all the action . The two fingers connecting may refer to Grundy having a tag team partner where there is a rover waiting for his tap from the ball up or a handball out of a pack etc etc .
So he is saying Grundy may need a partner in crime who can work well together for the better of the team as a whole. Not Grundy doing his own thing.
I interpreted to have a bigger meaning than onfield. Think Lumumba. Different cat that the club didn’t exactly embrace. I think he’s saying that Grundy doesn’t have the connection to the group on and off the field and the latter will never come to be unless the former is bridged.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

???
The next paragraph goes some way to clarifying his comments...

“I think Brodie is at that stage of his footy career where we need him to be more than a good preparer [and] maybe good at hitouts. We need him to connect and if he is connecting in the group, hopefully we get more connection in the hitouts.”

My interpretation is that McCrae feels that Brodie "is different and we want to embrace his difference but at some stage you have" connect with the team on a personal level. We've read about Brodie and his "unique self" that he studies and likes to do things away from football . A different 'cat'.

Think what McRae is saying is that in making a better personal connection with the group will relate to a connection on the football field - hitouts to advantage. Does not have to live and breathe it but at some point he is going to have to make a greater person connection - 'hand in glove' so to speak. Very interesting take by McRae. Makes sense on many levels.

If you want to know why we recruited Kennedy when we recruited Grundy - see if you can find a youTube highlights of the two. Kennedy knew exactly where Brodie was putting it.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Magpie Russ wrote:

???
The next paragraph goes some way to clarifying his comments...

“I think Brodie is at that stage of his footy career where we need him to be more than a good preparer [and] maybe good at hitouts. We need him to connect and if he is connecting in the group, hopefully we get more connection in the hitouts.”

My interpretation is that McCrae feels that Brodie "is different and we want to embrace his difference but at some stage you have" connect with the team on a personal level. We've read about Brodie and his "unique self" that he studies and likes to do things away from football . A different 'cat'.

Think what McRae is saying is that in making a better personal connection with the group will relate to a connection on the football field - hitouts to advantage. Does not have to live and breathe it but at some point he is going to have to make a greater person connection - 'hand in glove' so to speak. Very interesting take by McRae. Makes sense on many levels.

If you want to know why we recruited Kennedy when we recruited Grundy - see if you can find a youTube highlights of the two. Kennedy knew exactly where Brodie was putting it.
Bucks tried to address it, and it caused a rift to the point Grundy didn’t want Bucks as coach. The disconnect on game day between Grundy and the mids has been obvious since the 2020 hub at least, and it’s a major issue. I’m happy for Grundy to do his own thing and not live, breathe and eat footy. But when you see the extra work other rucks like NicNat do outside training, I can understand why this causes frustration. Nicksters have been yelling about it regularly. It needs to be addressed and Grundy needs to own it. Hopefully McRae’s second opinion wakes Grundy up to it. McRae won’t tell it any differently to Bucks, but when a new coach repeats the same message, you need to wake up and realise it’s you, not the coach.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Grundy was, of course, completely correct - it just took the majority of people a long time to catch up with his thinking.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

McRae is ruthless in that he will hold players accountable to their promises. JDG wants to be a gun midfielder like Dusty? Alright, do the work then and if he’s not, McRae will be onto it. He’s the fair kind of ruthless, and we need that,