Post Match. Pies win another thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Geek

Post by Geek »

Piesnchess wrote:I have followed the Magpies for decades and I have never seen a Collingwood team play like this one, ever. Ever. The resilience, courage, utter determination, the grit, the guts, the total refusal to ever be beaten, the never say die mantra has gone to a whole new level, i have never seen this before. This is a very special journey we are all on, with Flys team, and we are now privileged to be a part of it.
They look like they're flatout enjoying playing the game. It's gotta make a huge difference, especially when the coach's number one message is to play out the minutes

You're a long time retired. I only ever made it as far as a bit of ammos in the under 19s where I had a few good moments with my modest ability. Made a lot of mistakes in my life and some really stupid ones at that. But second after taking up and getting hooked on smoking, the biggest regret I have is that I didn't play more footy when I could. It's the best sport in the world and if I was to wager a few bob on it, I'd say that Fly has tapped into something there by letting the boys just go out and smash it.
KenH

Post by KenH »

lazzadesilva wrote:
KenH wrote:Got home from Adelaide today, had a absolute ball over there, what a game to see live. I said to all around me at 3/4 time that we will get the first goal in the last quarter and then game on. We were surrounded by Port supporters and we stood up with each goal we got and gave it our all!
The Collingwood chant was just magnificent as reverberated around the ground and continued well after the siren. Even on our 50 minute walk back to our accommodation it still happened sometimes by me and my crew and then by randoms in cars and one time i could hear and had to find where it was coming from and then I could see a guy yelling from a balcony about 10 floors up from across the road that we were walking. It was the one of the best weekends that I have had!
That must have been brilliant
Cheers big ears
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

stui magpie wrote:^

Taking offense to his actions is one thing, racially vilifying him is something completely different.

We, rightfully, apologised for the Racist bullshit he copped. You can be angry at someones actions and call them out without resorting to that crap.
I agree.

All this has done is paint the club in a poor light (despite the fact that it may not have been Pies supporters), give Pies haters a reason to have another go at the club and detract from what was a great game from both sides.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

one account registered to a Geelong business, the other accounts anonymous, so they could be anyone, not just Collingwood supporters. It’s likely they are though. And Fly and the club did the right thing apologising to Budda and calling the deplorable racism out. Given the hate spewed at our players in the game day thread by their own supporters, it could even be Port supporters turning on their own.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

pietillidie wrote:
mgh3536 wrote:Huge mention for Darcy Cameron

Massive contested game
Yep, he was huge.
I third that.
As JC Hartley mentioned in his weekly review, Darcy Cameron's game was "pivotal''. It was a tremendous reminder of how good he can be.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Lycett suited Cameron, similar beasts with similar pluses and minuses. If he cracks in like he did on the weekend he will be quite valuable. But if only he could nail some goals.
Get back on top.
Uncle Jack

Post by Uncle Jack »

Dave The Man wrote:Collingwood can be the Most Exciting and Most Frustrating Team to watch in 1 Game
They play like Melbourne weather
blybo

Post by blybo »

anyone who thinks we played below avg to their absolute best hasn't watched the replay. They missed quite a few easy set shots in the 3rd. We should have been 5 goals down at 3/4 time.

Great game and I think we are better most of the time, but don't think we'll have it all our own way in Sept @ the G
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

And of course we didn't miss any easy shots at all did we??
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

blybo wrote:anyone who thinks we played below avg to their absolute best hasn't watched the replay. They missed quite a few easy set shots in the 3rd. We should have been 5 goals down at 3/4 time.

Great game and I think we are better most of the time, but don't think we'll have it all our own way in Sept @ the G
I have watched the replay and saw the same two goals that Port kicked that should have been free kicks.
So your 5 goals up at 3qt less the two blatant free kicks would still have us winning.
- Side By Side -
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

Last word on this pack of pretenders: won’t it be sweet if (if…) they end up finishing third because they chose to rest a bunch of players in the lead up to our game, lost, and then lose to us anyway… They could end up third given they have a poorer % than Brisbane. Showdown this weekend will be huge. Crows always find another gear. Then Power have Cats at Geelong (good luck…)

From our perspective, should we lose in the quali final, where would we rather go for a prelim? Probably Adelaide, although if by some chance we get Melbourne at the ‘G I think that would be ok.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Bruzzy, lol.

"I looked in their eyes... Brayden Maynard is just staring at me, he's right in my grill."
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

^Thanks for this link LH. It was fascinating. It shows that Fly is approaching the ultimate aim of every coach: to build a team that can coach itself.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pete 70

Post by Pete 70 »

Just watched the entire game (overseas with work). A few observations:

1 Sidley is so important.
2 No matter what you can’t keep Nick out of it. A quiet game is 20 and one clutch goal.
3 Lot of improvement from us to come.
4 Beau is a beast but also has some other tricks.
5 All this crap at the moment that Collingwood have lots to work on - we do and we are gettable - and somehow we keep coming. Question to Daisy at the start of the last; how many points to be safe against Collingwood at three quarter time? “Well maybe 45 points but if they got the first you’d be worried.” I think Daisy still loves us.
6 I think JDG and Nick are going to tear a final apart. I hope it’s the last one.
And finally, I so enjoy the banter here, I hope one day we can all manage a beer at a good pub in Melbourne
Dispatches from a foreign land
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Pete 70 wrote:And finally, I so enjoy the banter here, I hope one day we can all manage a beer at a good pub in Melbourne
I second this suggestion!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange