Qualifying Final. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

What'sinaname wrote:No chance WHE or Markov misses as we lack leg speed without them. Nor does McStay or Ginni as we saw how inpotent our forwards were on KB. Checkers was pwned by Melbun's interepters.
So who goes out for the 3 ins? Frampton, Macrea and ... Lippa?

There's also the opportunity for someone to kick the door down in the VFL. What if Ash kicks 6?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

lazzadesilva wrote:
BBHS wrote:I'll make sure to note your concerns when I head into match committee
Just accept other opinions dude! You don’t need sarcasm, the lowest form of wit
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies2016 wrote:Just an aside from the upcoming final, Charlie Dean will play his first game for Collingwood this season when he lines up at fullback in our VFL team tomorrow. What a great story of perseverance.
Really hope he acquits himself well and that he can back it up with a second game the following week.
He's contracted for next year, hopefully he can do something, he's basically been injured for the whole time on our list.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
dmov73

Post by dmov73 »

Pies2016 wrote:Just an aside from the upcoming final, Charlie Dean will play his first game for Collingwood this season when he lines up at fullback in our VFL team tomorrow. What a great story of perseverance.
Really hope he acquits himself well and that he can back it up with a second game the following week.
I thought the VFL had minimum games trigger to be able to play finals, hence why Grundy can’t play finals for Casey.
Sometimes the good you do does you no good. Tony Soprano.
Sir Alan of Didak

The Toughest Selection Conondrum Of all Time...

Post by Sir Alan of Didak »

** 2023 QUALIFYING FINAL **

B. Noble Moore Howe
HB. Quaynor Murphy Maynard
C. Jaicos Pendlebury Sidebottom
HF. Lipinski McStay McCreery
F. Hill Mihocek Elliot

Rucks: Cameron, DeGoey, Mitchell

Inter: Naicos (7th defender), Crisp (mid/defender), Adams (mid/forward), Cox (7th forward/2nd ruck)

Sub: Ginnivan

In: McCreery, Naicos, Moore, Murphy
Out: Markov, Hoskin-Elliot, Macrae, Frampton

Conclusion:
As stiff as Markov is, the unluckiest player here by a mile is Will Hoskin Elliot. If Fly chooses to play Naicos centre-forward, then WHE plays ahead of McCreery or Lipinski…but I just don’t think this will happen.

This is basically the most attacking, aggressive side Fly can pick...and i think it works in our favour.

I believe Melbourne will select T.Mac ahead of Grundy, meaning the Cox selection is even more of a no-brainer…expose Van Rooyen when he rucks, keep the pressure on Gawn with two genuine rucks and keep 'em accountable in the air in our forward line.

The only way Melbourne beats us is if we get killed in the centre and/or Fritsch gets a hold of Howe.
Maynard (a key player in this game) is in reserve and will also keep a close eye on Petracca when he’s in the forward line.

Take it to the bank...Nick Daicos will play.

A real game of chess.

Pies by 15 points.
"Give Bucks a bit of a go mate, because when Bucks was the captain he carried that team for you, he played his guts out for you�
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

dmov73 wrote:I thought the VFL had minimum games trigger to be able to play finals, hence why Grundy can’t play finals for Casey.
Apparently they waived it in Dean’s case. Kind of makes sense to have the minimum VFL games rule as it’s more to prevent clubs from loading up with first 22 AFL players in the finals, but obviously that’s not the case here.
Last edited by David on Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Charlie Dean's return

I put it in the player's thread,
https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtop ... 43#2167643
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

When both Seniors and Reserves are still "live" no minimum game criteria applies.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

dmov73 wrote:
I thought the VFL had minimum games trigger to be able to play finals, hence why Grundy can’t play finals for Casey.
But you can get exemptions and a player returning from injury with no AFL games is a fair reason for exemption, an AFL mercenary earning a million a year not so much.

But if Casey win this week then they can get Grundy back next week as Melbourne play the same week.
mgh3536

Re: The Toughest Selection Conondrum Of all Time...

Post by mgh3536 »

Sir Alan of Didak wrote:** 2023 QUALIFYING FINAL **

B. Noble Moore Howe
HB. Quaynor Murphy Maynard
C. Jaicos Pendlebury Sidebottom
HF. Lipinski McStay McCreery
F. Hill Mihocek Elliot

Rucks: Cameron, DeGoey, Mitchell

Inter: Naicos (7th defender), Crisp (mid/defender), Adams (mid/forward), Cox (7th forward/2nd ruck)

Sub: Ginnivan

Lipinski out
Whe in to wing
Sidey to hff

In: McCreery, Naicos, Moore, Murphy
Out: Markov, Hoskin-Elliot, Macrae, Frampton

Conclusion:
As stiff as Markov is, the unluckiest player here by a mile is Will Hoskin Elliot. If Fly chooses to play Naicos centre-forward, then WHE plays ahead of McCreery or Lipinski…but I just don’t think this will happen.

This is basically the most attacking, aggressive side Fly can pick...and i think it works in our favour.

I believe Melbourne will select T.Mac ahead of Grundy, meaning the Cox selection is even more of a no-brainer…expose Van Rooyen when he rucks, keep the pressure on Gawn with two genuine rucks and keep 'em accountable in the air in our forward line.

The only way Melbourne beats us is if we get killed in the centre and/or Fritsch gets a hold of Howe.
Maynard (a key player in this game) is in reserve and will also keep a close eye on Petracca when he’s in the forward line.

Take it to the bank...Nick Daicos will play.

A real game of chess.

Pies by 15 points.
Take_a_Screamer

Re: The Toughest Selection Conondrum Of all Time...

Sir Alan of Didak wrote:Take it to the bank...Nick Daicos will play.
We will know the teams as early as Wednesday...not long now
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Take_a_Screamer

While you're waiting for the big game on Thursday, why not go and read the story of Darcy Moore, a terrific in-depth and well articulated article by Greg Baum from The Age. I put it in the player's thread

https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtop ... 72#2167672

"...When a slight hamstring injury forced Moore out of a game against Geelong late in the season, he put aside his personal irritation for a moment to hug Ginnivan, who replaced him. Ginnivan has not looked back..."
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Demons won't have the option of playing fringe players in the VFL.
Casey getting smashed in the VFL, Bulldogs lead by 65 points late in the 3rd quarter.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Bulldogs won by 79 points. Casey eliminated.

End of 1st Qtr, Williamstown leading Pies by 20 points.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by ANNODAM »

At this rate, they’re gonna go a whole 2qtrs without any goals!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!