Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies4shaw wrote:Grundy was, of course, completely correct - it just took the majority of people a long time to catch up with his thinking.
He wasn’t correct, because McRae has called out the same problem with his ruckwork and midfield connection. If it’s not sorted out in 2022, we’ll be looking for a new ruck. I like Grundy, completely understand he needs life away from footy, and he does work his ass off. But if you’re not connecting with other players on game day, then we need to find a ruck who can. Harsh, but that’s how it is.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

Looks like a tough pre season coming up and only the fittest mentally and physically will reap the rewards in 2022.
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Back bucks wrote:Looks like a tough pre season coming up and only the fittest mentally and physically will reap the rewards in 2022.
Exactly what we need.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Little Wonder wrote:
MJ23 wrote:^ would Love Hodge. Said earlier in this thread Id have him as a preferred assistant. Him or Astbury.
Where is the thinking that Dave Astbury is being considered as a coach coming from? Is it a left field thought or a whisper from somewhere?
Na hadn't heard anything - Just really rate him.
You look at how Richmond structure up defensively and how Astbury controls it in field. He really is a general and very clever. Hodge was exactly the same. Maxwell did it for us. Its not just how they individually defend its how they communicate and structure the team defense.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:Grundy was, of course, completely correct - it just took the majority of people a long time to catch up with his thinking.
He wasn’t correct, because McRae has called out the same problem with his ruckwork and midfield connection. If it’s not sorted out in 2022, we’ll be looking for a new ruck. I like Grundy, completely understand he needs life away from footy, and he does work his ass off. But if you’re not connecting with other players on game day, then we need to find a ruck who can. Harsh, but that’s how it is.
He was right about the Coach - that was the point I was making. McRae has, rightly, identified that there is room for improvement in the connection between our ruck and our midfield. The biggest part of that improvement, of course, will involve having an actual midfield.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
He was right about the Coach - that was the point I was making. McRae has, rightly, identified that there is room for improvement in the connection between our ruck and our midfield. The biggest part of that improvement, of course, will involve having an actual midfield.
Yeah agree with you on that. watching the game last night and boy we could use Treloar, doggies have midfield depth. We’ve got talented kids, but we’re missing the 23-26 year old mids. Hopefully JDG builds up his tank and can run out 4 qtrs next year. And I think McRae will be able to get the message through more clearly to Grundy and our mids about the lack of connection issue.
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Challenged JDG as well
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Well, we could certainly do with a midfield. I'm not sure that we need a guy who managed 4 kicks in the first half of a final last week and 1 kick in the first half last night. I'm pretty sure that's why Collingwood was so desperate to lose him after 2019 (it's hard to forget that he managed to get 7 kicks roving to a guy who had 73 hitouts).

Here's what the AFL site said about the connection between ruck and midfield in that game:
Another Herculean effort, Grundy could not have done much more to help his team. Dominated Shane Mumford in the ruck and finished with 25 disposals (20 contested) and 10 clearances to go with his 73 hitouts. Collingwood simply couldn't take advantage of his supremacy around the stoppages.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/45682/every ... nary-final
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

BazBoy wrote:Challenged JDG as well
I’m liking McRae more and more! I said last year we need someone who’ll hold Jordy to account. He wants to be the next Dusty? Alrighty then, this is what you have to do and I’ll be making sure you do it. Talk the talk, then you have to walk the walk.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies4shaw wrote:Well, we could certainly do with a midfield. I'm not sure that we need a guy who managed 4 kicks in the first half of a final last week and 1 kick in the first half last night. I'm pretty sure that's why Collingwood was so desperate to lose him after 2019 (it's hard to forget that he managed to get 7 kicks roving to a guy who had 73 hitouts).

Here's what the AFL site said about the connection between ruck and midfield in that game:
Another Herculean effort, Grundy could not have done much more to help his team. Dominated Shane Mumford in the ruck and finished with 25 disposals (20 contested) and 10 clearances to go with his 73 hitouts. Collingwood simply couldn't take advantage of his supremacy around the stoppages.
Yeah i can’t argue with that!
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:Well, we could certainly do with a midfield. I'm not sure that we need a guy who managed 4 kicks in the first half of a final last week and 1 kick in the first half last night. I'm pretty sure that's why Collingwood was so desperate to lose him after 2019 (it's hard to forget that he managed to get 7 kicks roving to a guy who had 73 hitouts).

Yeah i can’t argue with that!
Yep spot on. Its not the ruck alone its the whole midfeild group.
I really rate Macrae. We will have a mix of experienced and young mids next year. Great time to have new experienced coaches to re-build that connection.
Michael Jordan
Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

Hopefully he and all of his coaching staff can put all of the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle together. We have most of the cattle already ,but just need the correct decisions made week in / week out on who plays , where they play and have the right plan in place to tackle any side in any given game. I really hope the new coach is a smart operator and is synced with all the players and staff by the start of the new season. We need unison at the club and he sounds calm and confident enough that he is the man to do it.
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Put Humpty Dumpty together again
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Back bucks wrote:Hopefully he and all of his coaching staff can put all of the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle together. We have most of the cattle already ,but just need the correct decisions made week in / week out on who plays , where they play and have the right plan in place to tackle any side in any given game. I really hope the new coach is a smart operator and is synced with all the players and staff by the start of the new season. We need unison at the club and he sounds calm and confident enough that he is the man to do it.
Agree. While he spoke to Grundy and JDG he also spoke about connection. Our Mid field had significantly changed last year and will again this year. No doubt how they start to connect will be a big ask of Grundy - not just cause hes the ruck but because of his seniority and experience.

Regardless, I have a lot of confidence in McCrae and his new coaching group being able to get the connection we need Or move on the players preventing it no matter who they are.
Michael Jordan
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

And yes Player/s who by continuing with previous bad habits that hold back our progress Craig has to firmly say. “ Let’s work on these habits “

And if he encounters belligerent resistance then we will see how his people skills can resolve the problem But he is the decision maker here and not the players

Firm but fair is all we ask.
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right