Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Lazza

Post by Lazza »

The key is to have the ability to unlearn old/bad habits and learn new ones.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

The man said when brief came
Build relationships and teach
“I can do this”

As they players said to him there were things that could do next year & he said “I’ll hold you to it”. Then we must hope he keeps to his initial feeling he could “teach”

Know what I think he will
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Little Wonder

Post by Little Wonder »

MJ23 wrote:
Little Wonder wrote:
MJ23 wrote:^ would Love Hodge. Said earlier in this thread Id have him as a preferred assistant. Him or Astbury.
Where is the thinking that Dave Astbury is being considered as a coach coming from? Is it a left field thought or a whisper from somewhere?
Na hadn't heard anything - Just really rate him.
You look at how Richmond structure up defensively and how Astbury controls it in field. He really is a general and very clever. Hodge was exactly the same. Maxwell did it for us. Its not just how they individually defend its how they communicate and structure the team defense.
I agree, but I do know that Richmond offered him a job but he is having a year away from football, and looking eventually at doing some further study.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Man I hope lockdowns done by preseason, I’d kill to take my camera to the first training.,

How good is it to feel positive!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Little Wonder wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
Little Wonder wrote: Where is the thinking that Dave Astbury is being considered as a coach coming from? Is it a left field thought or a whisper from somewhere?
Na hadn't heard anything - Just really rate him.
You look at how Richmond structure up defensively and how Astbury controls it in field. He really is a general and very clever. Hodge was exactly the same. Maxwell did it for us. Its not just how they individually defend its how they communicate and structure the team defense.
I agree, but I do know that Richmond offered him a job but he is having a year away from football, and looking eventually at doing some further study.
And Richmond rated Leppas strategies and one on one work with their defenders as good as they had seen. He’s the one we need to put away. I’m hearing he’s over the line but still nothing official yet. And not afraid to give a nice ole fashioned bake either.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

D P
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

They were showing Leppa on the bench during a game in his playing days
and and must have been a media camera cos he turned and gave a foul look
Gave the
pablo

Post by pablo »

I really like what I have seen of Fly so far and love his resume.

One slight concern... calling out specific players publicly so early is a very bold move. This is especially the case with JDG who may not have the emotional maturity (or management) to deal with it and Grundy who is a 'different cat'.

Public praise and private criticism is usually the best approach.
Doubly in your first week.

Hope I am very very wrong.
Go Pies!!
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Must say I am wondering if that’s the right call on Grundy and JDG

He’s yet to coaching a game or take a training session

Bold move but we will have to see if the two are mature enough to react positive or arc up

Still think he’s our man tho
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

BazBoy wrote:Must say I am wondering if that’s the right call on Grundy and JDG

He’s yet to coaching a game or take a training session

Bold move but we will have to see if the two are mature enough to react positive or arc up

Still think he’s our man tho
the money they are both on its time to man the **** up!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

T P. I agree they are being paid to do a job and do it properly

Foreman,s job to see they do it
princem007

Post by princem007 »

McRae looks like a good appointment, but let’s not get too carried away too early.

Give him time to implement his game plan and coaching style and not start a Nicks ‘Sack the Coach’ thread after 3 losses like Buckley had to endure during his coaching tenure.

It’s great to see positive posts for a change and hope this continues into 2022 and beyond.

Side by Side.
Go Pies...Premiers 2010
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

pablo wrote:I really like what I have seen of Fly so far and love his resume.

One slight concern... calling out specific players publicly so early is a very bold move. This is especially the case with JDG who may not have the emotional maturity (or management) to deal with it and Grundy who is a 'different cat'.

Keep in mind he's coached both of them before and knows them already. Outlining clear expectations around expected standards is a good move as far as I'm concerned and sends a good message to the whole group.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I think your right. Agree.

It's a long journey, and it all comes back and bites you in the ass. Its honeymoon time, and the bravado cannot be publicly sustained.

Even if it's sincere, journos love clicks, and there will come a time when no mercy will be shown by some of them.:

" Who now fly? " Will be the headline.

JDG mooted to leave :
" Hang up to dry and out ?"

You get the idea.
Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

Maybe that`s his way of announcing his arrival as the boss and what to expect in the future. A subliminal way of getting into the minds of the players and anyone who doesn`t like what he is saying or won`t accept his way of thinking can make way for someone else and find another club to play at. Players like Grundy and JDG should take it all as constructive criticism with no offence intended by the new coach.
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years