Qualifying Final. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

RudeBoy wrote:
Said by Zed wrote:Going to be a slog. Unfortunately we’re still a true KPD short which exposes the defence to quick penetrating kicks forward to big mobile marking targets. Similarly, we still need that strong one grab marking KPF capable of taking the game by the scruff ala Cloke, Rocca (x2), that straightens us up and installs confidence to drive the ball forward long and high. The lack thereof causes way too much indecision and over possessing by our mids.
Have you ever noticed how much effort we put into our goals when other teams (Bris, Carlscum, Dees, Port when Dixon’s in) can just go bang bang bang and have a shot for goal?
I’m concerned the opposition rarely has to work as hard as we do for a score and are capable of closing the gap (even a lead of 24+) at any stage by imposing quick free flowing footy to their twin towers over our plodding condensed huddled masses…similarly the number of ‘out the back’ goals teams score against us is worrying.
Fly, Leppa and Bolts et al know what they’re doing and have considered this….I’m sure they have a solution and plan in place.
A nail biter….Pies by 9
None of this supposed weakness has emerged this year. If it had, we wouldn't have finished a game clear on top of the ladder, with the highest percentage as well. Having these extra tall timbers, would make us slower. Our game is built around fast ball movement and a flexible constant moving forward line. I'm confident we'll produce back to our best football on Thursday and beat the Dees by 20 points.
Hope so RB. I too have faith and belief in our team and coaching staff…..unfortunately have so for the past 50 years…in that time I’ve seen us lift the cup just twice.

Watching our game which is built on fast movement and flexible constant moving forward line as you say is unbelievable when on….hands down most potent and entertaining footy to watch…but it can all too often be negated by tough and constant pressure inside which exposes us when we out number in the contest or break down when we run with waves of hand balls…turnovers generally lead to easy out the back goals. Similarly if we’re not winning it at centre clearance and stoppage quick accurate kicks forward to big mobile marking targets also result in easy goals.

What generally has got us through is the heart and resilience of our group…our style is flawed and asks a lot from the team over 4 quarters. Easy kick mark kick mark goals don’t happen often enough.

BTW I don’t think a dominant CHF capable of clunking and kicking a few and a taller quicker KPD (sorry but Jez Howe is undersized, gets man handled a bit and is usually good for at least a clanger or two that result in easy goals) would make us slower
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

90 nice wrote:Any one tempted to select Kruger for thursdays match i am.

I think he is top form and can provide something up forward.

Thinking the same for reef as well but has a shoulder low grade sprain.

Other then that Mcrae and carmy.

But like the thought of Kruger coming back.
Top Form???? WTF!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Horatio Fin
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Horatio Fin »

Not sure why the screenshot appears twice. I can't see why in the code/tagsImage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Argh Well

Post by Hiss »

I think Melbourne will beat us on Thursday night. I hate saying this , but I don’t rate our lack of game plan, hopeless forward line, lack of ruck quality, poor centre clearances. If we happen to win, I will sing Christmas carols naked for my Tik Tok Chinese fans .
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
David
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Hiss, I hate to tell you, but that’s not TikTok.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

This break / wait is driving me stir crazy.

Going over the tapes, our last 10 matches against the nucleus of the current side Melbourne side sees us with 7 wins and 3 losses.
We've lost 2 of those matches at the MCG.
Our last match and Grundy's first against us, saw them get the 4 points, by 4 points. But on reflection poor goal-kicking conversion by Melbourne kept us in it.

Jack Viney was best afield with 32 disposals, including 19 contested possessions, 11 tackles, nine clearances and a goal.
Angus Brayshaw (25 touches, 6 clearances), Christian Petracca (28, 6) and Lachie Hunter (28, 1) were the Demons' chief ball-winners.

Lipinski came in to play his first game of the season replacing a suspended Jordan De Goey.
It was our second loss for the season but also at a time when viral illness was sweeping through the Club.

We've turned over 37 players this season to date.
Following the Club / Jarrod Wade's injury update overnight, we'll go in full-strength bar a 2nd year player called Nick Daicos.

Melbourne look at near full-strength with Bayley Fritsch making an impressive return from a foot injury that kept him sidelined for seven weeks, booting five goals from 16 disposals, and led this team with seven score involvements.
Michael Hibberd will undergo a concussion protocol test while Jake Melksham is out for the season.

This match is pretty evenly balanced personnel wise, so with the elevated stakes of a qualifying final, I suspect the fortunes of the match will be won or lost above the shoulders.

If we serve up that staggered play out of defence, forget about winning this. We need that run, dash and carry out of defence back into our match-day DNA. IQ, Noble and even Pendles going back onto HBF will in my view set the tone for the match.

I'm looking for a big game from McStay, I believe that will prove a critical matchday factor in how he, Mihocek and Cox function to quell the influence of Lever and May. Much of that will come from their leading patterns and the quality of delivery into our forward 50. Do not bomb it in and allow them to pick of those entries with easy spoils.
We clearly need 100% focus from Ginni. This kid was born to play finals, I can't wait to see what he and Bobby bring on Saturday.

Is Cameron still impacted by his MCL? Gawn could do a number on him the way Cameron is playing. And our kicks down the line from defence need his marking ability to return. If he starts getting badly beaten, this is why playing Cox is essential. I'd be running with 60% Cox in the ruck and 40% Cameron.

The midfield battle of JDG, Crisp, Jaicos and Mitchell against Petracca, Viney, Oliver and Brayshaw - delicious.

Smash 'em lads!
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

Would wet conditions help us or hinder us?
58pie

Post by 58pie »

Playing Thursday! Less time for Nick D to get up. 2 & 4 playing Saturday. Do we always get the raw deal. GO PIES
Last edited by 58pie on Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
58pie

Post by 58pie »

Hate to see Nick saved if he can run he should play.Melbourne has one of the best clearance midfields. Win this one and he can rest next week. Lose and we could go out in two with Daics not match fit for a knockout. Worth the risk and have sub ready after we wrap up a win. He is simply that important. Remember Steve johnson Geelong supposedly hobbled but played and the rest was history. Play our best team and don't leave us wondering.Go Pies.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

David wrote:Hiss, I hate to tell you, but that’s not TikTok.
Hiss is doing Only Fans? That will be good for their bottom line.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Only real ? i have in selection who plays the other wing.

I know Josh Daicos is on one wing but what about the other.

Thinking Marcov and WHE can fit the bill here.

Also as in kick ins i feel Howe and Moore can do most of the kick ins.
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Good preview of the coming QF Collingwood vs Melbourne...
Lloyd says we need speed, speed, speed - 'cause Melbourne are the best defensive side in the competition.
IMO, this game is a good barometer for winning the flag. Beat this outfit and we can beat the rest.

I sure wish Nick Daicos was playing, oh well.

Pies' need for speed
Damian Barrett, Matthew Lloyd and Nat Edwards give the ultimate finals preview
https://www.afl.com.au/video/1021540/aa ... 3774800001
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Speed yes.

Winning at the coal face is the key for mine.

Win the ball at each and every stoppage.

Also win the territory battle.
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

With speed we can dodge the Melbourne defence but it can't happen all the time, of course.
I think McStay is going to be vitally important to prevent the strong marking Melbourne backs from completing their marks
and thus give our crumbers a chance to get the ball and do their thing. Last game McStay was a real passenger,
I hope he pulls his finger out of his *ss and gets to work.
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:I think McStay is going to be vitally important to prevent the strong marking Melbourne backs from completing their marks
and thus give our crumbers a chance to get the ball and do their thing. Last game McStay was a real passenger,
I hope he pulls his finger out of his *ss and gets to work.
Spot on.