Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Players like Grundy and JDG should take it as constructive criticism huh!

Wish my confidence in their persona could allow me to see them not arc up
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Why the character assassination of players? Why do so many assume the Coach is "strong" but the players aren't?

Some of the comments here beggar belief.
Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

Not a character assasination at all. Just saying Craig Macrae might be setting the tone of what he expects from the group. Some of the players mentioned are under performers and inconsistent. Craig wants to turn that around . It is not a sign of weak players and the coach being a stronger person than them.He wants to get the best out of everyone and find that consistecy and rythym a lot of players are missing , especially the more elite in the team. That may be why JDG and Grundy were singled out by him .Have confidence this could be a good thing .
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

The players that can’t handle the heat can find another kitchen. We need those who have the ability and courage to fight when challenged to protect a lead or to get one. Toughness at the ball breeds team solidarity among the troops doing the one percenters that all add up for sustained success.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Who says there are players "that can't handle the heat"? Why do people presume the new coach and the players are not on the same page?

McRae made a couple of basic observations of the same kind people have been making on here for a long time. It was scarcely revelatory (the panel won't have picked him because he mentioned that it'd be good if De Goey was more consistent and it'd be good if there was a better connection between our rucks and our midfield runners) - and you'd think that even the stupidest of people at the Club would understand that you don't finish 17th because you've been doing everything right.

I expect the Coach has some actual insights that he isn't sharing with the media and will bring to bear as he implements his management strategies.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

from what ive read and from hearing him speak, he sounds like a people person, but one who knows how to still get his point across, i dont have any worries at all! i still think trust issues killed this season, and the coach. if we were playing finals this year would Buckley still be coach? the drop from finals to near bottom is why we have a new coach, we didnt lose enough players to make that happen, im pretty confident we will be right, yes i said they should man up, but i dont think either are particulaly fragile, being a thinker as Grundy is does not make him weak, and for mine Degoey just needs a kick up the entitled bum! we be right! im hoping both players stick it up every doubter next season!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

And I am totally happy to eat humble pie if Grundy and JDG have cracking good season
I think they are A grade definitely and will relish a new environment

In fact the whole team will “Fly Wright “
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Back bucks wrote:Not a character assasination at all. Just saying Craig Macrae might be setting the tone of what he expects from the group. Some of the players mentioned are under performers and inconsistent. Craig wants to turn that around . It is not a sign of weak players and the coach being a stronger person than them.He wants to get the best out of everyone and find that consistecy and rythym a lot of players are missing , especially the more elite in the team. That may be why JDG and Grundy were singled out by him .Have confidence this could be a good thing .
I don’t think McRae specifically singled out Grundy and De Goey at the team meeting. They were mentioned because they’re high profile players where you expect a lot and there’s more they need to contribute to the team. What McRae says to some of the lesser players in the team behind closed doors within the privacy of his office would make much more interesting reading, but we’ll never get to hear what that is.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Back bucks wrote:Not a character assasination at all. Just saying Craig Macrae might be setting the tone of what he expects from the group. Some of the players mentioned are under performers and inconsistent. Craig wants to turn that around . It is not a sign of weak players and the coach being a stronger person than them.He wants to get the best out of everyone and find that consistecy and rythym a lot of players are missing , especially the more elite in the team. That may be why JDG and Grundy were singled out by him .Have confidence this could be a good thing .
I don’t think McRae specifically singled out Grundy and De Goey at the team meeting. They were mentioned because they’re high profile players where you expect a lot and there’s more they need to contribute to the team. What McRae says to some of the lesser players in the team behind closed doors within the privacy of his office would make much more interesting reading, but we’ll never get to hear what that is.
I agree. As for publicly mentioning Grundy and De Goey, I think it was a great move. These players are both on massive contracts, so need to be reminded from day one that we expect more from them, so our whole team can improve. We finished 17th on the ladder, so it's no time to be pussy footing around. The whole team needs to harden the phuck up.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I put this in another thread, I will repeat as is more relevant in this

I have reconsidered:
Mc Fly not only singled out Grundy and JDG, but I didn't consider on balance that he also got into the Newbies for not laying enough tackles !

Me thinks his underlying purpose was to shift a cultural issue which has worked its way into the group. Maybe too much coddling.

Perhaps giving the group a heads up that they will be held more accountable and won't be soft feathered like before.
I think we have seen the extent of the public part.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:I put this in another thread, I will repeat as is more relevant in this

I have reconsidered:
Mc Fly not only singled out Grundy and JDG, but I didn't consider on balance that he also got into the Newbies for not laying enough tackles !

Me thinks his underlying purpose was to shift a cultural issue which has worked its way into the group. Maybe too much coddling.

Perhaps giving the group a heads up that they will be held more accountable and won't be soft feathered like before.
I think we have seen the extent of the public part.
Agree, Charlie. It was oriented just as much at the 10 games as those on close to million dollar salaries. Thanks to you for pointing out this extremely important observation. We have a democratic coach here. He challnged everyone, regardless of their time within the club, regardless of their status. Great call, Charlie
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ Who says there are players "that can't handle the heat"? Why do people presume the new coach and the players are not on the same page?

McRae made a couple of basic observations of the same kind people have been making on here for a long time. It was scarcely revelatory (the panel won't have picked him because he mentioned that it'd be good if De Goey was more consistent and it'd be good if there was a better connection between our rucks and our midfield runners) - and you'd think that even the stupidest of people at the Club would understand that you don't finish 17th because you've been doing everything right.

I expect the Coach has some actual insights that he isn't sharing with the media and will bring to bear as he implements his management strategies.
This.
Guarantee Fly said nothing in the media he hadn't already had a conversation with the players about - And all would be on the same page or he wouldn't have said anything at all.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Bleedblackanwhite

Post by Bleedblackanwhite »

JDG is 25 years old, the age most bona fide superstars of the game have cemented themselves as such, JDG has not. Is this due to fitness? Inconsistency in where he’s being played? How is has been coached? His attitude? Could be all of them, but I think McRae is the one to find out. JDG has the potential of being a bona fide superstar, I reckon he’s got 1-2 years max to realise this potential.
Collingwood forever, forever Collingwood
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

JDG is at a crossroad and if Fly can take him down the right road he may reach and hold his potential for enough seasons to be a plus in our next tilt at a flag