Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

It's not inconceivable. Look at McRae, both as a player and coach. In all instances, he has been a part of successful clubs that have had serviceable rucks.

Clark Keating
Beau McDonald
Toby Nankervas

So perhaps he's happy with Cox / Cameron and would rather invest elsewhere.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Piesnchess »

What'sinaname wrote:It's not inconceivable. Look at McRae, both as a player and coach. In all instances, he has been a part of successful clubs that have had serviceable rucks.

Clark Keating
Beau McDonald
Toby Nankervas

NO, a Gawn and Grundy ruck duo would destroy us next season, and we are too damn stupid to realise it, if I was Fly, id be furious at this insane crazy proposed trade, to enhance a Premiership team, at our expense, as per usual. :o :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Piesnchess wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:It's not inconceivable. Look at McRae, both as a player and coach. In all instances, he has been a part of successful clubs that have had serviceable rucks.

Clark Keating
Beau McDonald
Toby Nankervas

NO, a Gawn and Grundy ruck duo would destroy us next season, and we are too $$%^%%$ stupid to realise it, if I was Fly, id be furious at this insane crazy proposed trade, to enhance a Premiership team, at our expense, as per usual. :o :o
Not sure how it strengthens the Dees. You've got two alpha males and one of them has to play second fiddle. Good luck with that!
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Im just trying to make sense of how the value of Grundy is worked out, IF he gets traded.

So without taking into account his wages, what would Grundy be worth trade wise??

I would say it definitely is more than a first round pick surely.
2 x first round picks ??? Yes IMHO.

So if a club taking on Grundy plus his full wages would take his worth down..... to a first rounder give or take.

Now if Collingwood take on a couple hundred grand of his wages then we should be expecting a full compensation of couple first rounders.

What Im thinking is the selling club either gets their picks for what the player is worth THEN pays the surplus amount of wages compared to what other players of similar quality gets.
Obviously Grundy has been seen as getting overs so what do you say is his true worth??? maybe a couple hundred grand less than what he is getting now.

On the other hand if we dont pay his extra wages then that is where we dont get the 2 first round picks.

This is why trading Treloar comes off as a complete shite show, we lose him for bugger all trade value coming back at us PLUS we part pay his wages...we definitely were desperate to sell and everyone knew. However in this Grundy scenario we should be expecting fair compo..bc we arent desperate to sell.

Thoughts?? or am I way off??

BTW I want Grundy to stay along with JDG

If we get Taranto for some sort of trade for picks and pick up McStay on a free then that would be successful for me.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I want Grundy to stay, players like him don’t exactly grow on trees. But we’ve been winning without him, and if he wants to go so be it. Such is footy life.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

https://fb.watch/ePkdo3pfzh/?fs=e&s=cl
This sounds to me like he's going NOWHERE!!!
Last edited by mudlark on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

No way we should be paying any of his wage, that would be just as stupid as the idiot who signed the contract in the first place.

No way that Brodie Grundy of 2020-2022 is worth 2 first round draft picks, not a hope in hell.

A 3 way trade with Freo and Melbourne for Jackson and Grundy and Collingwood getting the picks from Freo would be a win if Melbourne took on the entire contract. If it is front loaded then there is no reason they shouldn't.

But more likely Grundy's selfishness that has led to this situation will see us stuck with him as the only teams who would actually want and be able to afford him are bottom dwellers interstate. The fact North isn't even interested says a lot!!!
orie
Been liked: 1 time

grundy

Post by orie »

[quote="Wonka"]On the AFL website, they are reporting that Brodie Grundy has met with four clubs, Greater Western Sydney, Geelong, Melbourne, and Port Adelaide, but that his preference is to stay in Melbourne, which puts GWS and Port behind and suits Melbourne, who are expecting to lose Luke Jackson to Fremantle.

Wait a minute , didn't he saw a few years ago that he wanted to go back home!!!
Wasn't that part of the reason we decided on that ridiculous deal..??

I want hime to stay now and give us something back for all we have given him..
SAurely he could be tried on the forward line.
I think the club are wanting to keep players like Ollie Henry and maybe thats what they are looking at.
However I am not prepared to just see him walk NOW.
'MADE IT LEGENDARY'
orie
Been liked: 1 time

grundy

Post by orie »

[quote="Wonka"]On the AFL website, they are reporting that Brodie Grundy has met with four clubs, Greater Western Sydney, Geelong, Melbourne, and Port Adelaide, but that his preference is to stay in Melbourne, which puts GWS and Port behind and suits Melbourne, who are expecting to lose Luke Jackson to Fremantle.

Wait a minute , didn't he saw a few years ago that he wanted to go back home!!!
Wasn't that part of the reason we decided on that ridiculous deal..??

I want hime to stay now and give us something back for all we have given him..
SAurely he could be tried on the forward line.
I think the club are wanting to keep players like Ollie Henry and maybe thats what they are looking at.
However I am not prepared to just see him walk NOW.
'MADE IT LEGENDARY'
Ryder Stand
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Ryder Stand »

The discussion about trading Grundy ignores the fact that our ruck stocks are low when you consider Cox is just about done and we do not have anyone on the list who could step up.
I agree that if Grundy’s contract was front loaded we won’t be saving much and I would not want the club to let Grundy go and subsidise his new club .
On the other hand a godfather offer for him would be acceptable!
I find all this talk on the eve of the finals to be a terrible distraction, you cannot build team spirit when the club is encouraging players to look elsewhere
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Surely any move on Grundy hinges on what happens with De Goey first anyway?

If De Goey accepts a F/A offer then Grundy shouldn't be going anywhere IMHO.

It's one thing to trade your best ruck option in the belief that retaining De Goey, adding a Taranto and combining them with a Cameron makes your midfield better.

It's another thing altogether losing your best ruck and most powerful midfielder in the one off season.

Personally I take the same view with Grundy as I do with De Goey and it's hard to see how our short term Premiership chances improve if one or both end up in teams right in their window.

De Goey going to the Saints is an entirely different proposition to him ending up at the Cats, likewise Grundy heading home to the Crows would be a far better outcome for us than Melbourne.

A De Goey or Grundy heading to a club that poses less of a threat still presents us with the situation of having to replace them with new talent that leaves our list no worse off in 2023.

A De Goey or Grundy heading to a team as good or better however then we need to replace them with a player/s that make us not only as good but better again as we've just handed our fiercest opposition an ability to improve in the process.

Personally I still prefer to retain both of our players and we make a decision between getting McStay for no trade required or we sacrifice a 1st round selection for Taranto. I imagine we can't afford both unless one of Grundy or De Goey moves.

If a trade is going to occur then I hope only one of De Goey or Grundy are sacrificed as both would leave us scrambling to achieve a net gain in terms of our list heading into 2023
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Piesnchess »

OK, OK the Deeees Toff want Grundy, ok, then give us both Jackson and Petracca, yeh, i can live with that. Yep.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 53 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

With Brayshaw as steak knives.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by piffdog »

I’m indifferent. If what his departure gives us (cap room, trade currency) is worth more than him staying then the club should pursue it.

I’m not at all worried about him making the Cats or Dees “unbeatable”. Rarely happens. Remember when Franklin went to Sydney?? And we back ourselves to get better anyway. I’d personally prefer a KPF or AA quality mid than a $1m ruckman - but that’s just me.

FWIW I think the dees would ba making a massive mistake in getting another Gawn type. But I also dont care what they do with their list.

Lastly - his contract wasn’t GW’s deal so I feel we still get to pin whatever the fallout is on the previous list manager. The only thing worse than making a bad choice is never doing anything to try and redress it. A trade may well do that.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...