Pre-Match: Collingwood V Salary Lions - Discussion in here

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Joel

Post by Joel »

So, the side will probably look like this:

B: Clement, Wakelin , Lonie.
HB: Johnson,Prestigiacomo , Shaw.
C: Woewodin, Buckley, Holland.
HF: Didak, Rocca, O'Bree.
F: Cole, Tarrant, Lokan.
R: Fraser, Licuria, Burns.
INTER: Swan, J.Cloke, Nixon, Richards

EMERG: C.Cloke, McGough, Mullins.

IN: Swan, Shaw,
OUT: Davidson (injured), Davis (injured)
sq3

Shaw's Waterloo.

Post by sq3 »

This will R.Shaw's Waterloo he can stand up and be counted or be de-listed/traded at the end of the year.
If he does not stand up I am tipping M.M. has a King in mind to take R.Shaw's spot for the rest of 2004.
C2 needs extra time and throwing him in at the deep end would not be an option.
Bo will at least get a run this week.
We will see tomorrow night if R.Shaw is a man or a mouse - I am tipping he will do well as this will also inspire all around him to stand up and be counted as well - and not to let him down in his test of courage.
R.Shaw to stand taller than Napoleon at Waterloo on the Gabba.
The perfect alliance for Shaw will be Cole on the HB line and together they can make their stand.
peter_pies4ever

Post by peter_pies4ever »

With Davidson out this week maybe Clement can be used on the forward line if we dont bring a tall forward in to replace him. J.Cloke is better suited to defence so if we can use Clement on the forward line with Tarrant and Rocca our forward line would be more potent.
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

King and Shackleton, and probably McGough, will only play if it actually bloody rains a bit in the middle of the year. You know Nixon is the guy we got for Nick the Prick. I hope he gets a game. Shaw has to be as physical, as head over the ball, as non-fumbly as he can otherwise there will only be 2 Shaws in senior calculations. I think they will play Swan, rather than Lokan in the forward line/midfield ala Leon, and keep Lokan up their sleeve for the second half.

They have just got to knock the cockiness out of the Lions. Attack as a group and don't take shit from them from the 5 gamer to the 300 gamer. Jump on Johnson, into him, jump on Pike, Voss whoever. Forget their names and just get them saying 'look at the scoreboard".
Get back on top.
erniedog

Post by erniedog »

Victory depends on
1.fitness
2. mental state
3. style of play

The second half of doggies game suggest that points 1 and 2 have started to be addressed.

As to style of play, apart from their centreline, Brisbane rely on their defence to both block and then quickly run out with precision to an open forward line. When we failed to block this free flow from the back we've been slaughtered (as we Adelaide in Q1 last week). When we beat Brisbane in last year's final the victory was based more on blocking than outshhooting.

Thus in the forward line I suggest C.Cloke as an addittional strong body on someone like Johnson to help keep the ball in. Brodie Holland on Lappin as he has both offensive and defensive skills.

I suggest that either Clement or Lonie take a permanent run with role on Voss when he is on the ground. Both are suitable physically (strengh and overhead) and can also run off Voss due to his dodgy knee. Johnson on Akermanis, Licuria on Black. Lonie if not on Voss can go on Pike (alternatively Nixon can do that job).

The Backline should have the normal 7 (J.Cloke as sweeper) with Richards going back as soon as the centre bounce is complete (Rocca, Fraser, C.Cloke can handle forward of centre ruck duties) giving an 8 man backline.

In C.Cloke McGough
out Davis, Davidon (both injured).

Cloke as the Molloy replacement (Walker injured, Kinnear not physical enough), McGough good at getting the ball out in heavy traffic (which we have to create as much of as possible) and does not mind a big occassion. If McGough is played in the centre he could release Burns to the forward line where he could do damage offensively and defensively.
Beware the embrace of the collingwood python
Magpie_Dan

Post by Magpie_Dan »

2 Of the greatest banners ever created by the Collingwood Cheersquad were against the Lions!

The 1st one the biggest banner ever made Vs Brisbane Lions Round 22 1999
The 2nd one Vs Brisbane Round 4 2003 the best comments ever made on a banner and wasnt allowed "The AFL Lions With Salaries To Spare, Lets Get Em Pies Make Em Look Like The Bears! (Or Similar to that)

Thats all I can say!
PAUL MEDHURST'S #1 FAN
NATHAN BUCKLEY- 280 Games 284 Goals
Bucks You Are THE KING

AT COLLINGWOOD, YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
Joel

Post by Joel »

erniedog wrote: In C.Cloke McGough
out Davis, Davidon (both injured).

Mate, the side I named above is pretty much the side. The positions I named might not be exactly right, but that is the side that will take the field (as per official ins, and outs).
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

I hope Shaw plays a good game, hopefully better then the last time these two teams met. I don't know if Presti, or Wakes would be able to hold Lynch and Brown. Need to hold them as much as possible, they would be the key to the scoring during the game..

I only hope that the Pies fight the game out, if they don't win it and only just lose I will be happy. I would be even more happier if we won, but all I want is us to fight! (not the way Tarrant and West were going though!)
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

Game won or lost in the guts. That's where we need to triumph.
Joel

Post by Joel »

I assume that Wakelin will take Lynch, because he just about always does, and Presti will take Brown. Brown should be a bit underdone as well (hoperfully)...but I doubt it.

I just hope we put in a good effort, and really shock the football world with one hell of a performance.
AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

Four quarters of Accountable football, that's all I ask.

We look less likely now than we did before last year's GF, in fact less likely than just about any encounter against them in the last three years.

Forget about arguments about recent form, it means Jack, as the saying goes "a week is a long time in football". I don't believe I have seen a side more likely to win than essendon Rnd. 21, 2000, and they were even in front in the last quarter!

The turn-arounds from Rnd. 19 last year to the QF to the GF were amazing, anything could happen.
Go Pies!
Cam

Post by Cam »

maggies2003 wrote:No idea why they have left two players who shared one possie between them in the team.. (nixon, cloke..)
Nixon played 16 minutes. That may be a long time for sexual intercourse, but you can't do much on a football field in that time. Let the kid play before you call for his head.
Get back on top.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

maggies2003 wrote:No idea why they have left two players who shared one possie between them in the team.. (nixon, cloke..) not very happy about this... its showing that you can play a shocking game, and STILL be selected.. they should teach em a lesson and drop them back in the 2nds..... poor decision fellas.. its going to give the guys the impression that its not too hard to get a game in the seniors.....
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Chill, it was his first game, this game will be his test, if he can play good this week, then he deserves to play some more senior footy this season.
Cam

Post by Cam »

we have.

poor jas.
Get back on top.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Hasn't really been the same since he was reported, I really haven't a clue what is wrong with him. Maybe it's time for more then one week at Williamstown for Jason?