Pre-Match. Round 9. Magpies v. Bulldogs.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Let’s not forget, Begg is very lightly raced this year in the VFL, with only 13 quarters in total ( early concussion and missed following week )
He would be jumping out of skin to hold his spot and I see no reason why he shouldn’t hold it until he starts to show any evidence of not running out a game.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

burnsy17 wrote:English has been out for weeks. Is he back this week for certain?

Keep playing Begg! He may be the future. Cox certainly is not.
Yes but hes a kid an has been smashed 2 wks in a row, do u want him smashed again, ? English will destroy him, we dont want the kids confidence gone for the season. Give Cox one game at least, see how he goes, Cameron cant ruck for shit, its all we have really. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

My perception from watching is that Begg is probably spending around 30% game time in the ruck, probably more.

That he's not winning many hitouts against blokes taller and stronger is no surprise, but he's competing, laying tackles, grabbing a few marks and generally doing enough IMO to hold his spot while getting a far better education than bumping around in the VFL.

I can't see how it could damage his confidence, I'm assuming Fly is telling him what's expected and giving positive feedback as he's not expected to be winning many hitouts.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

So 40% of ruck contests in 60% game time suggests he's playing mainly Ruck then Bench and not much time forward. Lets us mix up the forward line when Cameron goes forward and protects the kid while letting him focus on mostly one thing.

I like it, He's barely out of high school and he's doing his masters in Ruck work. What a great development plan.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

^^^^ And week in, week out we play against teams with returning stars... Merrett and Stringer; Cotchin and Martin; Bont, Keath and English...
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

Boogie Knights wrote:^^^^ And week in, week out we play against teams with returning stars... Merrett and Stringer; Cotchin and Martin; Bont, Keath and English...
Its no grand conspiracy though - it is what it is. You could also spin it another way and say that we are better off getting some of these guys first game back when they might be a little out of condition than getting them third game back!

Interested to see how our backline goes this week. Some interesting commentary on the footy shows about the backs not really playing fully attacking roles, but not playing close enough either and how much of this is coaching vs player execution. I am sure we will see a change in approach this weekend - curious to see what it is. I suspect Madgen comes back in - perhaps Pendles or Daicos moves more into the midfield? Winnable game - when you think that we should have bene much closer to Tigers with better defence and a little more accuracy at goal.
Last edited by piffdog on Tue May 10, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
maurs64
Been liked: 1 time

Post by maurs64 »

So this is now the rascist/sexist club vs the pedophile club. Both clubs on the verge of being taken to court over the actions of people no longer at either organisation. I'm surprised the media is not falling over themselves to describe this game in that way.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

maurs64 wrote:So this is now the rascist/sexist club vs the pedophile club. Both clubs on the verge of being taken to court over the actions of people no longer at either organisation. I'm surprised the media is not falling over themselves to describe this game in that way.

Fortunately for us, the media are totally concentrating on the Federal Election, other wise all this stuff would be front page news, and four pages inside. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Will they bring Jack Magden back against Doggie,s ?????
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Darcy Moore once kicked 5 goals against the Bulldogs.
We had a promising KPF who we moved to defence. All the while still crying out for that elusive KPF.

Darcy Moore to the F50!!!!
- Side By Side -