Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stik35

Post by stik35 »

LIT70's was the first Album my sister bought when she started work back in the 70's. I used to play it for my school friends everynight.
I always hoped Skyhooks would get back together one last time,
now that will never be.
It was a sad loss for everyone but his music and our memories of him will live on.
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

MargOZ
- you grew up on Sherbert and Skyhooks?
Luckily you grow up in my part of the world or you would have been in trouble.

There was a war between thoses rival fans. We (skyhooks) won of course!
Good preparation for being a Collingwood fan really!
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

Mark,
Actually my cousin and I had frequent arguments back in those days because she had a crush on Shirl and I had a crush on Daryl Braithwaite!

I must admit that I love a wide range of Aussie music and was fortunate enough to have seen Skyhooks live in Bendigo, I guess around 9 years ago. Top show and great memories.

Marg

[This message has been edited by MargOZ (edited 01 September 2001).]
Rosewall Woman 1

Post by Rosewall Woman 1 »

Margoz. You saw the hooks in Bgo 9 years ago???? I saw em in Bgo about 24 years ago just when they were getting started. Nearly killed in the crush. Had a wonderful night!

I was also a Sherbs fan (Daryl barracks for the Pies remember) and - to my eternal shame - had a big thing for HUSH! (Can you believe it?)
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

They actually played in a local hall so it was a fairly small crowd which made it an even more amazing show as it was more like a big party than a concert!

I can't actually remember the exact year but I do remember Shirl inviting a young girl up on stage and the two of them being dressed/covered in a huge condom and then jumping onto a double bed that had been brought out onto the stage. I think it was during the song "You Only Like Me Coz I'm Good In Bed" which was rather apt! As I said it was just an amazing night.

Marg
AlfAndrews

Post by AlfAndrews »

Magpie Greg,

I'm sorry if my brawling on the thread that you started on BigFooty about Shirley seemed disrespectful. I hope my occasional references to Shirl and Skyhooks made it clear that I also held them in very high esteem and was saddened by Shirl's death.

Just for a bit of inside information (even though I might get in the shit for saying this) the banner for tomorrow's match in Canberra has a small "R.I.P. 'Shirley'" in top right hand corner. It was Kerri's idea. She was a great fan.

I saw Skyhooks once, at Elizabeth Oval, S.A., around the time of "Women in Uniform". It was a different line-up to the one that played on "Living in the 70s", but Shirl was still there. Fantastic gig.

One of their best songs from this time was later used as a chant by the Unofficial Cheer Squad. It appeared on the album, "Guilty Until Proven Insane" and it went like this:

WHY DON'T YOU ALL
WHY DON'T YOU ALL
WHY DON'T YOU ALL GET F*CKED

I know Joffa and Co probably won't get to read this before the Canberra game ... but wouldn't it be great if the Cheer Squad revived the "Why Don't You All Get F*cked" chant, just for this game ...

as a tribute to Shirl ... of course.

**floreat pica**
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

I saw Ted Mulry died of cancer today (or yesterday), which completes a sad week in a way I suppose.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Yeah I heard about Ted aswell, very sad. Why do all these deaths always happen so close together?

JDF
Black_White

George Harrison

Post by Black_White »

Sorry folks, nothing to do with CFC.
Just heard that George Harrison has died of cancer at the age of 58. For us older posters (though I was just born when the Beatles started) George was part of the greatest musical group the world has known.
He will be sadly missed.

R.I.P. George.

-Craig
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

Yeah, good bloke too by all accounts.

sad day.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
afisher

Post by afisher »

"All things must pass", some unfortunately too soon.
RIP
junkboy75

Post by junkboy75 »

while my guitar gently weeps.....

RIP george, and thanks for all the memories.

"consectatio excellentiae"
Dr Alf Andrews

Post by Dr Alf Andrews »

there's a fog upon L.A.
and my friends have lost their way
we'll be over soon they said
now they've lost themselves instead

please don't be long
please don't you be very long
please don't be long
or I may be asleep

.... "BLUE JAY WAY" ... George Harrison, 1967.

Reading this thread was the first I'd heard about it ... although I know he'd been sick for a long time. They said on the news last night that he'd taken a turn for the worse, so I've been expecting it ... but I'm totally shattered right at this moment. The Beatles were the first band I ever really idolised. And now half of them are gone.

**When you've seen beyond yourself
Then you may find peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on ... within you and without you**
cobood

Post by cobood »

Yea... I was there outside the Southern Cross many years ago... but it seems like YESTERDAY....
R.I.P George... you'll be missed at the Grand Prix this year too...
......Memories....

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WILL be there)
foxy

Post by foxy »

very sad.

here comes the sun. lovely tune.