Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 177 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Mr Miyagi »

piedys wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:08 pm
Mr Miyagi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:54 am
piedys wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:52 am
Mr Miyagi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:14 am Kennedy doesn’t want to leave Carlton apparently.
But... he reserves the right to hate the coach's guts; like the rest of us....
I don’t know many people who are good mates with their boss! ;)
True; but you'd hope there aren't any Collingwood players harbouring similar feelings of animosity towards Fly though, would you?
Grudges like that don't stay buried in the inner sanctum for long, and just fester into tabloid fodder for the bottom feeder AFL jackal journos to feast upon.
Of course, that's not telling you guys anything you don't already know lol.
We have a good vibe at the club with Fly, it’s a great place to be, everyone’s happy and working hard for the team. Which surprises me, we should be attracting more players. Perryman and Robertson so far, but the big guns want to go elsewhere (they also have a little baggage so of course Sleepy Hollow is where that stuff can go under the media radar).
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Presti35
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Presti35 »

Jezza wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:27 pm Linked to Tim Membrey according to Cal Twomey.
Collingwood has emerged as a possible destination for Tim Membrey. The Saints forward has gathered some interest from the Pies - he doesn't have a deal for next year at St Kilda.
https://x.com/CalTwomey/status/1845996964359688452
^ Hmm, dunno.

30yo. 190cm. But did kick 30 goals last year.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

Whats the difference between Mihocek and Membrey?
Same size age goal kicking ability
Anyone actually paid any attention to him?
rate him?
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm not sure you can say that "the big guns want to go elsewhere". Clearly Houston wants to come to us, but it's Port who are preventing him.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

neil wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:50 pm Whats the difference between Mihocek and Membrey?
Same size age goal kicking ability
Anyone actually paid any attention to him?
rate him?
How do you decide? Compare the pair.
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 306 times

Post by Jezza »

Presti35 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:41 pm^ Hmm, dunno.

30yo. 190cm. But did kick 30 goals last year.
He's without a contract, so he could be a delisted free agent signing or a late trade.

Wouldn't mind him if we obtained him cheaply.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

^ As a DFA, thats alright. What about Tomlinson/Hayes though?
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

Membury let the Saints down big time with a mental health crisis the night before their elimination final in 2023 that left the team without him for that game. I don't know what caused the problem with Membury at that time and he did get back into the St.Kilda team last season. At best he could be a short swing man, as he has played that role for St.Kilda but they must not value him since they are already short of marking players having already lost Battle to Hawthorn. I don't see him as being a better option than Mihocek or McStay and Collingwood looks to be aiming at running with a shorter forward line in 2025.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

. big words from Fly and Leppa early in the trade period and nothing to show with 24 hours to go. I'm still trying to work out how bit part trades and DFAs makes us better. it's just a shootout in the last barrel saloon.

If Port has kyboshed the Houston deal full stop, why would we deal with them for Richards even if uncontracted? Send him to north instead, not to a rival competing for the 8 in 2025.
I can see that GC will seek a better deal for P13 rather than using Noble. They still have some options there.

Reckon we should pivot for a hail mary shot at Smith or Peatling, wrangle the saints second pick or shut up shop and go to the DFA market and draft. Can't see how we are improving at the moment.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

^ to be fair, St.Kilda are trying to get younger and are planning for the future. Membury at 30 is part of the past.

I agree with others, if we can get him for 1 year as a DFA I don't see the harm.

Interesting,in his his draft year Phantom draft guide had Collingwood taking him at about pick.30.

The chance that at age 30 ends up at Collingwood :lol:
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If we get Membrey as a DFA without needing to trade anything, go for it. At best he comes in if we have injuries or need to mix things up, at worst our VFL team is stronger and that’s a good thing.
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:41 pm If Port has kyboshed the Houston deal full stop, why would we deal with them for Richards even if uncontracted? Send him to north instead, not to a rival competing for the 8 in 2025.
North aren't giving Richards a 4 year contract. And remember, he walks to the draft, sets his contract to what PA wants, and then basically goes to them for nothing anyway. I'm not saying this is a tragedy, I just think we should try to get more for next years draft, a F2 or F3 depending on how we can package it, rather than let him walk for nothing.
slangman
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

As much as I admire and respect Fly, I think he should learn to not be so transparent in public. Giving away too much information on strategy before trade period made everyone fully aware of our how we were approaching the trade period which opposition clubs have manipulated to make us either pay overs or get screwed around with time wasting.

Same applies to “playing the minutes” which he gave such detailed explanations of our method that he might as well have just emailed the play book to each club.
- Side By Side -
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

SLORT wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:52 pm
The Black and White Lion wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:41 pm If Port has kyboshed the Houston deal full stop, why would we deal with them for Richards even if uncontracted? Send him to north instead, not to a rival competing for the 8 in 2025.
North aren't giving Richards a 4 year contract. And remember, he walks to the draft, sets his contract to what PA wants, and then basically goes to them for nothing anyway. I'm not saying this is a tragedy, I just think we should try to get more for next years draft, a F2 or F3 depending on how we can package it, rather than let him walk for nothing.
I reckon Joe would stay with Collingwood if no deal was made, rather than walk to the draft.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:41 pm . big words from Fly and Leppa early in the trade period and nothing to show with 24 hours to go. I'm still trying to work out how bit part trades and DFAs makes us better. it's just a shootout in the last barrel saloon.

If Port has kyboshed the Houston deal full stop, why would we deal with them for Richards even if uncontracted? Send him to north instead, not to a rival competing for the 8 in 2025.
I can see that GC will seek a better deal for P13 rather than using Noble. They still have some options there.

Reckon we should pivot for a hail mary shot at Smith or Peatling, wrangle the saints second pick or shut up shop and go to the DFA market and draft. Can't see how we are improving at the moment.
Bit parts as you call it is seeking to raise the general level of the playing squad. Some of it depth, some of it flexibility and the rest plain better bang for the buck. None of these trades are going to take us to the holy grail but incremental improvements are fine so long as they don't unbalance the squad or drain the cap.