Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Piesnchess »

What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Come on Wrighty, the Board, just cut the crap , stop all this rumour and innuendo, bullshit about him, just come out next week, and say hes still very much a required Collingwood player, next season and beyond. Enough is enough, just put this too bed now, for Chirssakes, just do it.
What if Grundy isn't a very much required player?

So we learn **** from the Treloar utter fiasco, and give him to some team, aka Melb or GWS, to vastly improve them, while we continue to pay him, contract, to play and star well against us ????? Yeh, just brilliant, brilliant, and he will come good, make NO mistake. He is a required player, what if Cox got injured next season, we have one minor ruckman, Cameron, and a raw kid , Begg, to carry the load ???? Get real. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

The issue i have is that we have not had the chance to see how Fly would utilise Brodie's attributes and what kind of powerhouse Brodie could become in our new gameplan and with a highly skilled and motivational coach. I just think that Grundy could have a massive positive impact in our team. We really have not been able to gauge it. He was injured at a time when our assimilation and execution of the gameplan was not at the level it is now. I want to keep Brodie at the Pies because we know that he is a great player, but we don't know how much greater he could become in the new playing style and club environment.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Just now watching the Doggies game, and Fisher, dominating ruck, taps it to himself, dashes out of centre, which is what a fit Grundy can do for us, at his coming peak form. Must not be traded, end of story. He can only improve us grealty now.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MagpiesTheGreat

Post by MagpiesTheGreat »

Grundy + Cox or Cam, is surely much better than Cox + Cam.

Went to the training a few times. His genuine kind attitude towards the fans is second to none.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

I’d prefer he stays.

But if we could turn Grundy’s salary into McStay, Taranto & Hill, and retain DeGoey, you’d have to consider it.

Cameron and McStay is a good ruck combo. Does Taranto give us something extra in the middle? I don’t know his game well enough.

Worth the gamble?
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

I don’t mean straight salary. I mean it sounds like we can’t get Taranto if we keep Grundy. Sounds like McStay and Hill are done deals
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Deja Vu wrote:I’d prefer he stays.

But if we could turn Grundy’s salary into McStay, Taranto & Hill, and retain DeGoey, you’d have to consider it.

Cameron and McStay is a good ruck combo. Does Taranto give us something extra in the middle? I don’t know his game well enough.

Worth the gamble?
100% it makes us a far stronger team.

Elite midfielders are worth more than a bog average ruckman.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Grundy isn’t bog standard average though.
If he was, we wouldn’t have offered him the contract he’s currently on.
Also, if we could offload him without having to pay out his contract, then I’d be more open to the idea.
But, something doesn’t sit right with me, off loading BG to another team AND still paying part of his contract aka Treloar.

Nah, he stays put.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Johnno75

Post by Johnno75 »

While I still think Grundy is important to our setup he won’t solve our centre clearances. Remember the 2019 PF and his 73 hit outs and we still got shafted in the midfield. If we can retain JDG and then having Adams in and under and somehow add Taranto then that will significantly boost our output at clearances.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

eddiesmith wrote: Elite midfielders are worth more than a bog average ruckman.
There is no question that elite midfielders are more important than ruckmen for clearances, as was made bleeding obvious by the game last week against Melbourne, in which we won the hit outs 43-38, but were smashed in the clearances, losing stoppage clearances 24-32 and centre clearances an astonishing 7-21, and this is why Graham Wright wants to trade out Grundy and trade in an inside mid.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Wonka wrote:
There is no question that elite midfielders are more important than ruckmen for clearances, as was made bleeding obvious by the game last week against Melbourne, in which we won the hit outs 43-38, but were smashed in the clearances, losing stoppage clearances 24-32 and centre clearances an astonishing 7-21, and this is why Graham Wright wants to trade out Grundy and trade in an inside mid.
Only true if you assume that Grundy is a normal ruckman. He is not. He is a ruckman with amazing tank, and midfield attributes.
Cox and Cameron are pure ruckmen when in the ruck, but I believe that Grundy has different characteristics which can be harnessed with imaginative coaching. I think we have that now.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Wonka wrote:
Only true if you assume that Grundy is a normal ruckman. He is not. He is a ruckman with amazing tank, and midfield attributes.
Cox and Cameron are pure ruckmen when in the ruck, but I believe that Grundy has different characteristics which can be harnessed with imaginative coaching. I think we have that now.
So when he was double AA Ruck under Bucks he was being under-coached?
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

Magpietothemax wrote: Only true if you assume that Grundy is a normal ruckman. He is not. He is a ruckman with amazing tank, and midfield attributes.
The value that ruckmen can provide outside of ruck contests is in taking marks, especially forward-50 marks and goals, which is beyond Grundy's skillset, an unfortunate reality that Wayne Carey wrote about in his newspaper article a couple of months ago, in which he stated that the only ruckman who did not need to take marks to be influential was Nic Naitanui, and therefore Grundy needed to have a change of mindset and learn from Darcy Cameron.
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

ANNODAM wrote:Grundy isn’t bog standard average though.
If he was, we wouldn’t have offered him the contract he’s currently on.
Also, if we could offload him without having to pay out his contract, then I’d be more open to the idea.
But, something doesn’t sit right with me, off loading BG to another team AND still paying part of his contract aka Treloar.

Nah, he stays put.
But he has been in the 3 seasons since he signed that contract.
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

Wonka wrote:
Exactly, Grundy used to win 60-70 hit outs in games we'd lose, what was the point? Brisbane beat us with 2 ruckmen who'd played 5 games between them last year...Grundy got 70 hitouts against GWS in the final we lost at the G.

It's very clear wasting so much cap space on a player who isn't influential is stupid. I doubt Melbourne is paying Petracca a million a year and he is twice the player Grundy is.