The "What do we get for Beams?" thread

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Defender wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:5&21 is a possibility. If Briisy squeeze that out of
GWS for Patfull.
There must be a decsent midfielder in the draft at pk 5
Word has it one of the most promising mids sat the year out with an ACL injury, Lever is his name iirc, not sure on his progress as in if he'll be ready to go by pre season etc etc, he could be the one.

Most phantom drafts have him going between 5 and 10.

Take it all back, he's a KB apparently.
If we take Lever at 5 then Hine should be sacked.

We've got a top 6 selection already recovering from a knee next year and sure as hell don't want to use pick 5 on someone who's coming off an ACL.

Way to much risk.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I'd take 5 and 25, no worries, seems like like a pretty reasonable deal. Pick 25 could potentially be as good as Beams and there's a very high chance pick 5 will be a gun. I don't see the urgency of having to get a ready made player or like for like trade with guys like Broomhead, Kennedy, Thomas, Adams and Freeman sure to come on in the next year or 2.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

stui magpie wrote:FMD there's a lot of crap in this thread.

Take 5 and 25 now, do the deal and move on.

We want to get an established midfielder to fill in while pick 5 grows up, trade for him. The longer we **** around the less time there is to do other trades.

Is Greenwood worth pick 25? Dunno, not my call. The club employees people who do this stuff for a living who are in a far better position than me to make that call.
While I'll prefer pick 5 and 25 ahead of a disgruntled Beams being retained we need to clarify a few things.

Firstly unless North Melbourne has already agreed to accept pick 25 and pick 25 only for Greenwood then will people (especially Swann) stop suggesting the deal for Beams is pick 5 and Greenwood.

If we have to use another second round pick to get the deal done then Brisbane are far from handing over Greenwood to us as well as pick 5.

The way I see it we've done all the heavy lifting in regards to Greenwood so far and all parties involved (outside North) are just fortunate if pick 25 is enough.

At this stage there has been no clarification that is in fact true.

Secondly I see the lions have an interest in Christensen from the cats?

Now how exactly are they going to get that deal done if they will be giving away picks 5 and 25 to us and seem reluctant to part with a player?

Some have suggested that they might receive pick 21 from GWS for Patful.

Well if this is true then sorry Brisbane we want that pick as well so no Christensen for you.

Pick 5, 21 and 25 is what the compensation should be if we're dealing in picks alone.

Do that Brisbane and yes you will be giving us pick 5 and guaranteeing Greenwood.

A fair trade.

P.S-If the deal for Beams breaks down it's hard to see us having the pick/s necessary to land Greenwood. On the bright side it might mean we have to give up hope of Varcoe in lieu of a draft pick for Lumumba to get the deal done.
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
Museman wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:I see what your saying, but if Petracca is the best midfielder in the
Draft & the next 3 are all KP players there must be another midfielder
Whose probably a bit better than decsent. So at pk 5 we could get the 2 nd
Best rated midfielder in the draft
Brayshaw was considered the best out and out mid in the draft according to many sources, but he is expected to go top 4.
I think Brayshaw will go at pick 2 or 3 to Melbourne, but yes, he's the next best after Petracca. Brayshaw is actually more a pure mid from what I understand, where as Petracca is more like a third tall forward who can also play midfield. After that, the next 5-10 midfielders are pretty even from what I hear. Apart from Heeney, but he's locked into the Swans.
Big T wrote:It's the typical reaction stui. If beams were coming from Brisbane to Collingwood most would be arguing pick 5 is too much. But now we should demand top picks and top players or let him sit a year out and turf him, in the process screwing up all our credibility to trade with in future.

Ridiculous.
If we were recruiting Tom Rockliff. I'd be looking at young players on our list we could trade for another top ten pick to package with pick 8(having passed on Moore) to get the deal done. That's what it takes to get elite midfielders in their prime. If we give up Beams for pick 5, we become the next Freo with half our kids coming from South Australia and Port on the rise. :shock:

This is not about ripping Brisbane off. If it was, we'd be asking for 3 picks in the top 15. That would be Beams' price on the open market if all clubs could bid. Maybe even 3 in the top 10 if someone gets desperate.
Aish and pick 5 for Beams is actually a good win for the Lions. If I were one of their few supporters who know anything about football, I'd be satisfied with that. Not crowing, but happy that we improved our list and got a guy who might be the next captain and Brownlow medalist.
Great post. If during the season, someone started a thread proposing we trade Beams for pick 5 and pick 25 they would have been chased out for being trolls.

Good to see the club is standing their ground and fully understands the negotiating power they have when Beams is still contracted:

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies ... 13bxh.html
Domesticated_Ape

Post by Domesticated_Ape »

Swoop42- North came out today and said Greenwood is worth a second rounder and they know we have pick 30. I think it was Walsh on trade radio, so take that to mean we don't need Brisbane to get Greenwood I reckon.

I think we can also expect pick 35 to come along with Varcoe for Lumumba, maybe with our third rounder 48 going back to Melbourne or Geelong, but that might be wishful thinking.

Harvey- I reckon people just get really stressed about important negotiations and just want it to be over quickly so they're willing to accept less than full value. Either that or there's a lot of Pies fans who haven't fully appreciated just how good a player Dayne Beams has been for us.

I expect the Lions to fold in the end. They're desperate for some positive publicity up there and 'Lions steal Pies premiership star' works as a headline even if they pay full price for him.
jdpie1970

Post by jdpie1970 »

Domesticated_Ape wrote:Swoop42- North came out today and said Greenwood is worth a second rounder and they know we have pick 30. I think it was Walsh on trade radio, so take that to mean we don't need Brisbane to get Greenwood I reckon.

I think we can also expect pick 35 to come along with Varcoe for Lumumba, maybe with our third rounder 48 going back to Melbourne or Geelong, but that might be wishful thinking.

Harvey- I reckon people just get really stressed about important negotiations and just want it to be over quickly so they're willing to accept less than full value. Either that or there's a lot of Pies fans who haven't fully appreciated just how good a player Dayne Beams has been for us.

I expect the Lions to fold in the end. They're desperate for some positive

publicity up there and 'Lions steal Pies premiership star' works as a headline even if they pay full price for him.
Agreed. Two options are Lions will fold or Beams plays 2015. We still get Greenwood and midfield gets significantly better at stoppages. Win. Win.
Positive that a year to reflect and some gentle Bucks lovin can turn the tide.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

Have no interest in Varcoe.

Lumumba and our 3rd rounder if needed for pick 23 is the outcome we should be going for.

Potential elite young players can be found at that range in particular this year when picks 15 to 30 are seen as pretty even.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Harvey wrote: Great post. If during the season, someone started a thread proposing we trade Beams for pick 5 and pick 25 they would have been chased out for being trolls.

Good to see the club is standing their ground and fully understands the negotiating power they have when Beams is still contracted:

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies ... 13bxh.html
This is sounding very promising. Great to hear that Caro's got it wrong again and that we are not prepared to accept a weak deal.

I still reckon once the week's up and we have to call off negotiations because Brisbane won't come to the table that other options could materialise. Gold Coast have definitely shown interest but are hanging back because Dayne's manager will only talk to Brisbane.
Well done boys!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

swoop42 wrote:Have no interest in Varcoe.
never realised it was up to you. :wink:
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Domesticated_Ape

swoop42 wrote:Have no interest in Varcoe.

Lumumba and our 3rd rounder if needed for pick 23 is the outcome we should be going for.

Potential elite young players can be found at that range in particular this year when picks 15 to 30 are seen as pretty even.
I'd like that result too, but it looks like Bucks wants Varcoe or he wouldn't fly to Bali. If we could somehow get Greenwood for that pick 35 though, then it'd be a good deal. Varcoe and Greenwood for Lumumba and pick 48. We keep pick 30 and whatever we get for Beams.
AN_Inkling wrote:I still reckon once the week's up and we have to call off negotiations because Brisbane won't come to the table that other options could materialise. Gold Coast have definitely shown interest but are hanging back because Dayne's manager will only talk to Brisbane.
I read some quotes from Scott Clayton and reading between the lines, I wouldn't be surprised if he and Paul Connors have some sort of agreement. Something like Clayton makes the statements he made, that the Suns are sitting back and letting Brisbane have a free shot and then if talks break down between Brisbane and Collingwood, Connors leans on Beams to sign with the Suns. So yeah, I reckon they're right in it.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

^ hardly flying to bali to chase varcoe.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Domesticated_Ape

John Wren wrote:^ hardly flying to bali to chase varcoe.
Fair call. I didn't actually read the article, just Dave the man's take on it :lol:

Still, I reckon the meeting is a strong sign that he'll end up with us, like it or not.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Let's talk turkey.

Beams is worth more than pick 1, I'd say around pick 1 and 20ish, pick 5 and 20ish won't get you pick 4 this year let alone pick 1.

Us asking for pick 5 and another top 10 valued player is fair and reasonable.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

Domesticated_Ape wrote: Harvey- I reckon people just get really stressed about important negotiations and just want it to be over quickly so they're willing to accept less than full value. Either that or there's a lot of Pies fans who haven't fully appreciated just how good a player Dayne Beams has been for us.

I expect the Lions to fold in the end. They're desperate for some positive publicity up there and 'Lions steal Pies premiership star' works as a headline even if they pay full price for him.
Agreed. It seems like since the no-show at the BnF, a lot of pies supporters have started turning on Beams, devaluing his worth and going with the attitude that we should just get rid of him for whatever we can get. I think that's exactly the reaction Beams and his management were hoping for.

When Hine was asked on trade radio a couple of days ago about Dayne's no-show, he just dismissed it as "just a tactical thing". The Beams camp and Brisbane are trying to use every trick to facilitate a cheap easy deal but it's good the club can see through it and not budge.

At the end of the day the people that really want the trade to happen this year is firstly Beams and his manager (so they can get the money earlier), followed by Brisbane (so they can show their supporters they can attract stars and not just lose them) and then us (but we can still wait a year). And in any negotiation, the party that most wants the deal to happen will always fold first.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Harvey wrote:
Domesticated_Ape wrote: Harvey- I reckon people just get really stressed about important negotiations and just want it to be over quickly so they're willing to accept less than full value. Either that or there's a lot of Pies fans who haven't fully appreciated just how good a player Dayne Beams has been for us.

Agreed. It seems like since the no-show at the BnF, a lot of pies supporters have started turning on Beams, devaluing his worth and going with the attitude that we should just get rid of him for whatever we can get. I think that's exactly the reaction Beams and his management were hoping for.

When Hine was asked on trade radio a couple of days ago about Dayne's no-show, he just dismissed it as "just a tactical thing". The Beams camp and Brisbane are trying to use every trick to facilitate a cheap easy deal but it's good the club can see through it and not budge.

At the end of the day the people that really want the trade to happen this year is firstly Beams and his manager (so they can get the money earlier), followed by Brisbane (so they can show their supporters they can attract stars and not just lose them) and then us (but we can still wait a year). And in any negotiation, the party that most wants the deal to happen will always fold first.
The BaF means nothing IMO, I wouldn't want to go either if I were Dayne, imagine all the questions he'd cop from the over refreshed faithful, the bridge still stands IMO, he isn't going to give up a years salary.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.